Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Phase Technology speakers

Author Topic: Phase Technology speakers
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-06-2002 09:25 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A theatre (large movie palace with balcony) is putting in Phase Technology PC-3.1 and Phase Technology PC-6.1 speakers for surrounds. They were donated (new) and are no doubt better than the junk that had been hanging there. But aren't these home theatre speakers?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-06-2002 01:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are home speakers
They should be fine for use as *surrounds*, albeit they are a bit tall and thin... Just keep them away from behind the screen.

-Aaron

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-07-2002 11:21 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How big is the theatre? Something that small cannot produce a sound that I would consider even close to acceptable for a large auditorium. That PC -6.1?? I hve bigger speakers built into my cars dashboared! Does anyone know the frequency responce on theese speakers?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-08-2002 12:25 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a 1548 seat house owned by a local gub'ment entity. They have a habit of getting advice from non-film people. Two years ago they replaced the 53' screen with a non-perf screen days before a major film festival. That's been corrected but at the time it was Fast Fold to the rescue.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-08-2002 07:42 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My surround speaker of choice is the JBL 8330 series.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-08-2002 07:48 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The JBL 8330 is an excellent surround speaker.

Altec makes a very good surround speaker, too.

I would not hesitate to use either the JBL or Altec.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-08-2002 08:02 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the JBL 8330 for small rooms......Altec has been technically out of business in the Professional market but Telex ( owners of Electro-Voice ) has sold the rights to some former management and they plan to introduce their new product line at the NSCA ( National Sound Contractors Association )convention at the end of the month.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-08-2002 08:52 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, I did not know Altec technically got out of the professional line. Sorry to hear that, as I thought their surround speakers were great! So were their stage speakers.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-08-2002 11:58 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Electro-Voice slowly buried the Altec line and now with the "Matinee" series that was introduced during ShoWest you have a choice between low end and high end from the same manufacturer. Altec Commercial the past few years has been popular in Church and public address set ups and the new owners plan to start with those designs from the former U.S. plant and off shore suppliers. I am been doing this long enough in remembering installing much of the Altec Green and later Black component boxes and amplifiers..............
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: