Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex 1014 oil change

Author Topic: Simplex 1014 oil change
Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2002 12:32 AM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I am going to change the oil in the Simplex's I have at the 4 plex and I was wondering what to use to clean the oil pump intake and filter.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-06-2002 01:23 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any type of solvent-based cleaning solution (carburetor cleaner, diesel fuel, XeKote, FilmGuard ,even (dare I say it) WD-40) will work here for cleaning the pickup tube and screen. Don't use it in the pump body though.

DISCLAIMER: If you *do* happen to use WD-40, REMOVE it from the booth as soon as you finish!

-Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-06-2002 01:32 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just take the tube and screen off the pump, slosh it around in raw "Simple Green", and hose it off with hot water. Dry it with a blow dryer in the restroom or use a hair dryer.

Poop on the WD-40. That stuff was made for rusty nuts.

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2002 12:54 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, are we talking about the same heads? The intake and filter don't want to come out, and I don't know enough about these heads to tinker too much and I especially don't want to kink any tubes.

Crucify me, but would it be possible to change the used oil with some new oil/oil additive combo and then drain that away after a run and replace with clean oil?

I'd sure hate to be the guy to wreck these heads after years of neglect from the chain that had them before me.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-06-2002 12:58 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flushing the head with an additive could do some damage to the bearings, intermittent and pump.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-06-2002 01:41 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>The intake and filter don't want to come out, and I don't know enough about these heads to tinker too much and I especially don't want to kink any tubes.<<

The pickup tube should be flare-nutted to the pump body a 3/8" wrench should take care of the nut. It may be a tight fit inside the sump though. You CAN gently bend the tubing just ever so slightly to allow it to be removed from the projector, just remember to bend it back so that the bottom of the screen is as low in the sump as possible when replacing the pickup tube.

-Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-06-2002 07:10 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An added note:

When you remove the pump assy and re-install it, one must be very careful when reconnecting the oil tube. It can be very easily cross-threaded. Start it with your fingers, and screw it in.

Don't use a wrench on it until you are absolutely sure it is not cross-threaded.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: