Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Building A Stadium Cinema From Scratch

Author Topic: Building A Stadium Cinema From Scratch
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-04-2002 10:38 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not counting IMAX, I've only seen a movie in one stadium theatre. It was a "retrofitted" auditorium. The impression was that the seats had been mounted on scaffolding. It was pretty stable; I'm not complaining about the structure I experienced.

I'm wondering what the maintenance is like on those platforms? Is it like roller-coasters where you have to continually check for loose/missing screws or bolts? Has one of these ever collapsed?

If one were building a new theatre from the ground up, wouldn't it be better to build the tiers into the foundation? Would there be benefits to building a standard auditorium and then "retrofitting" it for stadium-style seating?

My intuition says to build it into the foundation, and I have two reasons for this:

1) Guests would not need to traverse to the front of the auditorium before climbing up to their desired tier.

2) Definitely seems sturdier and maintenance-free.

Am I wrong for trying to discourage the "retrofit" platform approach for a new structure?

------------------
And, hey! Let's be careful out there.

~Manny.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-04-2002 10:56 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no your not wrong. though if you are going to build a theater with the idea of making it stadium. Then go ahead and make it stadium seating. Why wait.

John Schulien
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2002 11:20 AM      Profile for John Schulien   Email John Schulien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would build a flat foundation, then construct the seating over that. Two reasons. First, you gain all of the space under the seating for storage, concessions, or equipment. Second, if your theatre were to sadly go out of business, you'll get a lot more for the building if it can be gutted into flat, commercial space. If the seating tiers are built into the foundation, the building will be useless for any other purpose.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-04-2002 11:55 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the stadium projects we have done have had the seating areas constructed out of steel and covered with concrete....which with new construction,the support pillars, roof trusses are usually ordered from a structual steel contractor, so this part of the project is not a stretch for them to supply. The usable space underneath allows for party rooms, storage, offices and in some instances projection rooms where the projection equipment is sent up a shaft to the auditorium while the platter and other equipment is located below.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2002 03:09 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I built a 16-plex stadium two years ago. I had never worked with the steel and concrete structural system for stadium seating before, but it went in very quickly and has performed beautifully. It's absolutely stable and nobody would have the slightest idea they were not on poured concrete. We did an entire 66,000 sf building in 80 days from ground breaking to grand opening--the stadium system certainly contributed to that speed.

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-04-2002 03:45 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is relieving to read because I think it is a foregone conclusion to go with after-the-fact stadium risers. Most likely, it is to ensure that there is resale potential if the venture goes south.

I'm feeling reassured by your comments on steel-and-concrete.

Further questions: Are there better alternatives to a steel-and-concrete construction? Worse?

------------------

~Manny.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-04-2002 07:55 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how much does a setup like that cost? Anyone have any idea?

Who makes this stuff and how do you contact them? Does anyone have schematics to follow and just build yourself? What about wood vs. steel?

Questions questions...

Dave

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-04-2002 08:11 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on your local codes, don't forget to put sprinklers under the stadium seating. We forgot at one place, and now we can't use the area for *anything.*

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-04-2002 08:14 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another critical reason not to dig the stadium incline into the foundation (and likely into the ground) is potential water seepage/flooding problems. Your carpet would be more likely to mildew as well. Basically you're inviting all the problems anyone with a basement has on a large scale.

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-04-2002 08:21 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Party rooms? You mean people are having parties in the space below the theatre...while a movie is in progress?

------------------

~Manny.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-04-2002 08:33 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark here has a kids party room underneath a theater (kind of a cave but kids won't notice or care). Manager said it is heavily used. I think the only stipulation is everyone coming to the "party" has to buy a ticket to a movie. There are also offices (including a nice private one for the GM), seat storage & repair room, paint and other spare facilities stuff storage room, concession stockroom, and more underneath the theaters.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2002 02:51 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my all stadium 20 we have Storage Rooms, Employee Locker rooms, Employee break room, Capentry shop, And the Supervisor Room/Training Room, and 2 auxiliary concession stands all underneath stadiums.

------------------
--Sean McKinnon
Manager
Loews Cineplex Entertainment
Liberty Tree Mall 20
Danvers, Mass
www.enjoytheshow.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: