Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS and Policy trailers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS and Policy trailers
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-04-2002 02:11 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think i know the answer, but i'll ask anyway.

How do policy trailers play on DTS setups.

Will it just drop out to analog like all the non-dts trailers, or does the DTS trailer disk also contain the policy trailers for different theatres?

I have heared a DTS drop to analog using an Ultra-Stereo processor, and the audio quality is almost unlistenable. I imagine it will drop to analog when the policy trailer roles through, but I cant fathom that the theatres would allow their policy trailers to be playing in analog.

(edited 4-18-02 by Mike Olpin to remove location info.)

|  IP: Logged

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2002 03:46 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal Policy trailer DTS codes are not included on Theatrical discs. Come to think of it, I am not sure they have code, don't remembar ever seeing that little green light. They do have a nice sr, dolby digital and sdds output. We also run half of our sound thru Ultra stereos. They do drop out of dts and run in analog (the stereo button on the console). Have your consoles been check on, balanced and such. I believe Dolby processes the signal better than Ultra, but in stand alone the sound should only be a bit less crisp. If your sound levels are low in analog, I would have a tech come out and test and calibrate your system. If your analog does sound that bad , why have you not requested service before. Not all of your trailer could be in DTS, especially not your PSA's.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-04-2002 11:58 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Regal in particular, but I would be surprised if most people making policy trailers go that route (I don't know what DTS charges to include policy trailers on their trailer CDs, but I assume it is not a fixed one-time cost like having SRD or SDDS put on your print would be). But there are usually some policy-type trailers on DTS traier discs. Exactly what seems to vary over time, and does not always match up with what is printed on the dics.

For instance, the April 5th dts trailer disc claims to have (according to the artwork):

DTS Sonic Landsacpe
DTS Digital Experience
THX Cavalcade Trl
THX Broadway
THX Grand
THX Tex
THX Tex II
Kodak Men in White
Kodak Million Hours

The disc seems to have:

code:
No FILENAME   SERIAL      TC's   MIN:SC:FR     Feet.Fr     FILE LEN
-- -------- ------ ---- --------- ------- --------

01 dtssonic 735 810 0:27:00 40.08 2,976,750
02 dts 1045 1200 0:40:00 60.00 4,410,000
03 thxbrdwy 15 1140 0:38:00 57.00 4,189,500
04 thxgrand 56 1170 0:39:00 58.08 4,299,750
05 thxtex1 71 1440 0:48:00 72.00 5,292,000
06 tex2moo 257 1230 0:41:00 61.08 4,520,250
07 thxcavtl 1404 1068 0:35:18 53.06 3,924,900
55 menwhtrl 890 1860 1:02:00 93.00 6,835,500
56 kodktst1 914 1890 1:03:00 94.08 6,945,750
57 sil2sec 0 70 0:02:10 3.08 0,257,250

that seems to match up 1:1 ("sil2sec" is on every disc, two seconds of silence). My notes say that these policies have been on past DTS trailer discs:

simpsons
tex2
cinemtrl
cineimax
timesliv
jbllogo
pepsiacd
pepsihot
pepafi.0
pepaf.0r
startrlb
wilrog99

I believe "cinemtrl" was a Cinemark policy, but I could certainly be wrong.

Incidently, the above formatted list came from "preview.txt" instead of "r14trlr.txt" on the DTS disc. I only recently noticed those on there. Does anyone know when they started being added?

I assume it's used by the display on the 6AD, though it seems
pretty weird, since all the fields in preview.txt:

code:
No FILENAME   SERIAL      TC's   MIN:SC:FR     Feet.Fr     FILE LEN

can be derived from the fields in r14trlr.txt:
code:
;NAME           SERIAL  START   END     OFFSET

--jhawk

p.s.: Hey Brad, is there some way to format text in <PRE> in UBB, so tables like the above don't look so bad (other than as an inlined image)?

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-04-2002 12:07 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the Kodak men in white and million hours all about? are they some of kodak's demo films?

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-04-2002 12:08 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are the Screencheck trailers...

--jhawk

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-04-2002 03:12 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
To format in preformatted type, use the code and /code tags.

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2002 06:07 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Mike: One thing you could do about the sound is to clean the optics on the soundhead. Use lens cleaner on a q-tip and clean the Exciter bulb/LED, both sides of the slit lens and carefully clean the cells.

This is important to do before adjusting levels on the Ultra Stereo unit, because if the optics are not clean the noise level will be too high when the unit is correctly adjusted.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2002 06:42 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like John has got it covered.

Karen at DTS

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-04-2002 07:44 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty positive the most recent Cinemark policy trailer (the one they just stopped using and which is about to be replaced with a new one) usually played in digital on their DTS screens. For one thing it exercised the .1 LFE channel hard. It was painfully obvious when the trailer played in analog.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-04-2002 08:10 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike Cinemas' policy trailer is included on most DTS theatrical release CD-ROMs. It is kind of a cheezy trailer, but the "Carmike Across America" part of the music is kind of nice in that it rotates around in the surrounds.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-05-2002 04:56 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the info!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-05-2002 10:43 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Cinemarks old policy trailer was on the disc but not always.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-06-2002 11:24 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to polcy trailers on DTS disks, basically some are on there and some aren't. Unless you can put the disk in your computer like John did, the only way is to try it out and see. Cinemark has had DTS trailers on and off for a while now. Even then, some disks that we THOUGHT were supposed to have them didn't and ones we THOUGHT weren't supposed to did. Like I said, try it and see.

Your analog sound shouldn't be THAT bad, compared to digital. You have a problem there, somewhere.
Stupid question... apology in advance... When was the last time you cleaned the lens in the sound head? Crappy lenses can lead to REALLY crappy sound. It's an easy thing to forget.

Ultra*Stereo processors may not be the best processors (opinions vary) but they aren't THAT bad. Properly calibrated, and with a properly adjusted A-Chain in the projector, you ought to be able to get decent sound out of them.

DO call your theatre's technician and tell him the problem. Unless you have some major problem, he should be able to get your sound back to the way it should be in one or two evening's work.
It's easy to do if you have the equipment and know-how.

You'll be surprised at the difference... Besides, your customers deserve it.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-30-2002 09:41 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this up for the guys at Annacoutes(SP?).

Josh

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2002 01:10 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just recently got new policy trailer about a month ago, and of course we are only a 4 theatre chain so we are probably not on the DTS discs. But the trailer discs for last week had our policy music on it. The ones this week didn't. I tried to check what trailers were different on the discs but they seemed to be the same. It was kind of weird and kinda messed up our cue stuff hehe.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: