Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Motiograph Model "K"

Author Topic: Motiograph Model "K"
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-01-2002 06:28 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was there such a model of a Motiograph? Josh sent me a picture of it that he took at an old theater in North Dakota. Is that thing a collector's item? It looks about the same vintage as a Simplex Regular, with a framing knob similar to the location of the Brenkert BX-80. I understand from another tech this machine will perform poorly with light passage from a fast xenon mirror. Has anyone ever had any experience with this machine? Is it worth acquiring? Or is it a real boat anchor?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-01-2002 06:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The model K was the predessesor to the AA
IT was like the deluxe with the trap and shutter back area lifting up to thread
small lens mount if I remember correctly

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2002 07:07 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
K's are ok but not good for multiplex use. There are still two K's in the old Avalon Theater building here in Olympia.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2002 07:42 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Go to the Film-tech Manuals section, click on Instructional Documents, and select "From Magic Lantern to Stereophonic Sound--
The Story of Motiograph, Inc."
You will find the history of the company and illustrations and descriptions of each of its models.

I own perhaps the first model, a hand-cranked head only 7" in height, including its round cast-iron pedestal. It bears the patent date "July 4, 99" stamped at the top of the gate, and "The Optigraph
Mfd by The Enterprise Optical Company, Chicago" on the bottom.
Optigraph became Motiograph. Unfortunately I don't have a lens for it.
Gerard

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-01-2002 07:51 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard, I have two boxes full of antique lenses. Some are small in diameter, and others will fit the standard lense bore. If this is what you need, please give me a growl. You can have some.

Paul

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2002 08:38 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Thanks, Paul--
I just sent you an email, but forgot to mention Bob Doran, collector of early Motiographs. I believe he has a Model K. I printed and mailed to him the I.L. Thatcher history I referred to above about 6
months ago. His email address is Doranbob98@aol.com .
Gerard

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-01-2002 10:02 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard, I guess the Model "K" was the "Hottest thing on the block" in 1936. It was an interesting article. Thanks for pointing it out. It was well worth reading.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-01-2002 10:21 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a pair of AA heads and sound heads in the basement "for sale". I am thinking of picking them up just to goof around with. what do you guys think of these particular machines?

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-01-2002 10:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
A friend of mine used to work at Motiograph and was the test projectionist on staff that screen tested every model K before it left the factory. I have an early model K that was produced within the first three months of production. Have only held onto it at his reccommendation. It has metal framing knobs from its predecessor the model F. The red plastic knobs didn't show up till later on in the production of the K and all the metal knobs were used up. The K intermittents use a special 90 weight gear grease, not regular oil, no not even LaVezzi Oil! It has about the same on screen image quality as a Super Simplex, perhaps a bit less side weave though. It is extremely well made and quite heavy.
Mark @ GTS

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-01-2002 10:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, some of the "old timers" swear by those machines. Motiograph must have done something right. By looking at the article that Gerard pointed out, the old "Moshees" must have been close to the first machines that made it into the industry big time. Some are running today quite nicely, too.

Josh, if we get that old Model "K" or the "AA"'s, do you think you can hoist them up on the pedistal without stubbing yout toe?

Mark, what bolt pattern does the Motiograph 7500 sound heads use? I forgot...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2002 12:02 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Motiograph uses the Western Electric bolt patern. 2 bolts on top and 4 in the back.
Mark @ GTS

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2002 09:30 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a couple of AA's, Josh and they are about the toughest machines I've ever seen. They're easy to work on, use grease instead of oil so there's no mess and as long as the bearings are good they are rock steady. The gear train is infinitely simpler than your Brenkerts and the barrel shutter does exactly the same thing the Brenkert double shutter does except in a much simpler fashion with fewer moving parts. It also takes much less torque to operate, so it starts quicker and is less of a strain on the soundhead. You'll find the machine to be slightly noisier than the BX80, mostly the because of the intermittent, but not appreciable so. The lens mount/pressure plate assemble rides on ball bearings and is much easier to use than the Brenkert. I always have a tough time holding the film in the guide and trying to move the plate forward at the same time with my other hand on my BX80. You can also mount the AA on the same mounting plate to your soundhead. You will need to be sure you get the gear driveshaft assembly, not the chain drive. I still prefer the Brenkert, but the Motiograph is also a real Mack truck of a projector in my opinion.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: