Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question for the pros... WHATS THAT SCRATCH??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question for the pros... WHATS THAT SCRATCH???
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-30-2002 03:11 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This question has been bugging at me forever now.

I am sure and hopeful that I am not insane, BUT, I am watching on DVD, the Good the bad and the ugly. In this, I am seeing something that I always saw in just about every single scope film during my tenure as a projectionist and manager, Especially the ones from fox..

WHat I am seeing, is at the bottom and/or top of the frame, during angle changes, a line of what could be called static. It appears literally for only one frame, and occurs only at an angle change. I noticed it was very heavy during Star Wars phantom menace.

Does anyone know why this is? It cant be the projector, because it happens only on angle changes. Any clue helpful.

John Pytlak, maybe you might have a clue?

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-30-2002 03:19 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you are talking about and I would describe it as a negative splice that happens during editing. You should not see this if the movie is properly framed with well-cut aperture plates. If you see this on DVD then it is a BAD BAD and UGLY transfer! Nothing "good" about it!

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2002 04:20 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe is right. Are negative spice.

But sometimes I had to misframe a bit some movie because the negative splice was visible (and my aperture plates are right, I've checked them with RP40).

Bye
Antonio

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-30-2002 04:58 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooooh don't get me started on RP40. I'm sure your apertures are fine, Antonio, but never use it to set up framing. Ever. Instead, make a loop out of an old trailer or something that you KNOW is in frame. In the US people can use a good greenband. But if you use RP40 to set your framing, it will be off. It's been a few years since I set framing knobs to RP40, but if you do I believe it makes the image a bit too low, and you will see the negative splices on top of the frame.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-31-2002 04:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes indeedy, either RP40 is not properly centered, or EVERY other lab conveniently prints exactly the same amount off of centerline. Never trust RP40 for anything other than initial alignment. Once things are set up and perfect, you will have to adjust the framing control just a tad to get it truly in frame.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-31-2002 08:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you use B&W "RP-40" With BH-1866 perforations (the ones that have rounded sides) then it is reasonable to expect the framing to be off in relation to a release print. The BH-1866 perforation and pitch are only supposed to be used for negatives, which 35-PA is. Unfortunately, that isn't what projectors are running. Projectors expect KS-1870 perforations which have a longer pitch and a positive perforation.

Since 35-PA is used to also set up Telecines which pin-register to BH-1866 perforations, SMPTE made a test film that would "work" for both worlds. I have put forth a posistion paper to the SMPTE that, among other things, requests using KS-1870 perforations as the standard for 35-PA with the short pitch BH-1866 film as a special request for lab use. I believe you will find that the color version of "RP-40" called 35-IQ is on KS-1870 perforations and will more closely represent release prints.

Another thing to note when using test film to register framing for releae prints...some labs use bi-directional printers. As such if one reel was printed in the forward direction and the next reel was printed in the reverse direction, there will be a vertical shift equal to the slop of the sprocket tooth within the perforation so don't expect the framing to be "perfect" all the way through the show no matter how you set it up.

Stev

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2002 10:39 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Another thing to note when using test film to register framing for releae prints...some labs use bi-directional printers. As such if one reel was printed in the forward direction and the next reel was printed in the reverse direction, there will be a vertical shift equal to the slop of the sprocket tooth within the perforation so don't expect the framing to be "perfect" all the way through the show no matter how you set it up."

Kinda blows apart that "lock the framing knob" idea, huh?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-31-2002 11:11 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They ought to have the reels marked for direction of printing and put only like aligned reels together in one print.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-31-2002 11:23 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The negative splice issue is one I still get a bit hot under the collar over
That is why the scope apperture has shrunk from the original 715 high down to 690
Hig speed printing required also a wider overlap in the splices for strength and that with bidirectional printing compromissed the image

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2002 01:28 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe/Brad,

I just said that my *aperture plates* are right, I didn't frame with RP40.

Bye
Antonio

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-31-2002 05:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio-
I know, but others might assume RP40 is the best way to frame.

Jerry-
Steve is just making a pathetic excuse for changeover booths. He is trying to make us all think that framing will be WAAAY off from reel to reel if reels were printed in opposite directions and run on a platter system without someone there to adjust framing at the reel change. This may happen, but it is not enough to notice (unless you have Steve Guttag's robotic precision ). Once I locked my framing knobs down I never noticed the "negative splices" again. And our apertures (most of them) were cut properly.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2002 05:53 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a fairly common problem in exhibition (and the post's above regarding plates, etc, show why), but i'm AMAZED that it has reared its ugly head on a DVD.

Why did nobody spot this? It's a pet hate of mine, and i had all my plates and masking re-cut to get rid of this problem. It's so easy to spot, why was it missed in the DVD transfer?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-31-2002 06:00 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And it's true that Fox movies seem particularly prone to this. My laserdisc of STAR WARS (The original, original one) has visible splices throughout.

------------------
And, hey! Let's be careful out there.

~Manny.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-31-2002 06:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Joe if your plates are cut to spec then yes bi directional printing will show up especially on scope.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2002 06:08 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look for it in all techniscope spaghetti-westerns - a n d for some reason every scope print of Guns of Navarone -- One fat white, single-frame stripe for every scene-chance the whole film trough.
Not very funny to watch.

/p.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: