Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AW3 Makeup table woes

Author Topic: AW3 Makeup table woes
Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2002 12:01 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie's site is down, and I wanted to know why my makeup table will only build up on the bottom platter.

I replaced the platter selector switch, but that didn't work. This particular tower is pretty old (20 years) and the plug for the makeup table is hanging out of the tower, is there just a bad connection?

I also have a table that won't break down. If a table won't break down, the obvious fix would be ordering a new motor, but could you give me the order of components to check before I get to the motor?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2002 02:02 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are also having this problem with our AW3R. It will only build on to the bottom deck but will take down from either platter. We have new motors and control cards because there was a short that fried everything. The make-up switch was backordered and hasnt come in yet.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-29-2002 11:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your motor won't work, (or runs erratically) check the brushes.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-30-2002 12:49 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Control switch malfunction? Brad is the expert on these......

I have no problems building or tearing down on any platters in our 5-plex.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2002 01:09 AM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not a problem with the motor on our platter. The platter will pay out and take up just fine. Just wont run in make-up mode.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2002 01:21 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this problem before, check the make-up table wires to the male plug, you will have to turn the make-up table over, remove each wire one at a time from the terminal block, remove the plug cover & find the same color wire removed from the terminal block, use a VOM meter on ohms & check continuity, if so, check next wire, if no continuity..."BINGO" there's your problem !!! but note...as you are checking these wires, wiggle the cord from the make-up table to the plug in case looking for a broken wire that might have made contact as the position of the table & cord, wiggle the cord & see if continuity is maintain, wiggling the cord will tell if a broken wire exsist, keep the meter leads on one end of the wire & one meter lead to the plug as you wiggle the cord, watching the meter...I hope this helps...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-30-2002 02:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
"It will only build on to the bottom deck..."

Hmmmm, that seems to rule out anything with the MUT itself. Check the makeup selector switch on the platter tree first. I would think that would be the culprit, but then again I've seen stranger things.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2002 08:58 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet its the motor. I had one recently that, during break down, suddenly switch directions and will only run "normal" direction.

After taking the end cap off of the motor, I saw where there was an short between the brush holder and the screw that held down the brush holder assy. It is like it was shorted. I have yet to find a replacement part, as I think replacing the motor is silly and expensive.

Paul.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-01-2002 09:10 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is perfect timing.

Remember that motor I had to replace? The MUT started working again after I put in a new motor. That was less than a month ago...I got a phone call last night, and the MUT is dead again.

I noticed that the entire speed control circuitry was removed from the spare MUT and I've got a hunch that some major surgery was performed by somebody who didn't really know what they were doing...

So I'm thinking that the motor itself was not the source of the problem in the first place.

What main culprit kills motors prematurely?

------------------
And, hey! Let's be careful out there.

~Manny.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 04-01-2002 10:14 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this problem with one of the 'Anniversary Editions' of the AW3 and Aaron Sisemore determined that the problem was the bank of Make-Up Selector Switches. For whatever the reason, they weren't working properly, but the only one that was was the bottom platter.

If I recall that part is pricy, so we just made due and used the bottom platter.

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2002 03:36 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I removed a makeup selector switch from the one house that has no makeup table and swapped it out with the switch on the platter tower that will only build on the bottom deck and it didn't help.

I know the towers were bought used about 15 years ago, and as far as I know that tower in house #1 has never had a makeup table in it, so I don't think it's a coincidence.

I think that the problem is in the wiring from the switch to the platter or the MUT plug to the platter. Has anyone had to re-wire towers? What should I expect?

I'm pretty sure that the other MUT I am having problems with has a bad motor since I can build but can't break down.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2002 04:40 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, your platter is 20 years old. I just finished some major service work on a 20 year old 5 deck AW-3 and there has been a major design change.

The original style Make-Up/Break Down Mode Selector Switch Assembly is no longer available and has been replaced by a newer style assembly. This new style assembly is physically different than the origonal assembly. The circuit board runners are also different so that it is impossible to compare one circuit board against the other. However, this new assembly is the correct replacement. The only modification required is the breaking of some wiring harness zip-ties and the repositioning of the harness. It is imperative that instructions are closly followed and the assembly not be installed backwards or damage to the new assembly and motor control cards will occour within a matter of a few seconds! The person who worked on this platter prior to my involvment learned this the hard way!

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 11:25 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone for your help, the MUT that wouldn't break down needed new brushes, and now it works fine.
The makeup selector switch was the culprit for the MUT that would only build on the bottom deck, and it was a coincidence that the one I swapped from another tower also only allowed building on the bottom deck. I got a replacement and now it works great.

One more question, I found a piece of tape under the MUT that said "greased 2/93" what exactly do you think was greased the shaft bearing? Is that something that should be done more that once a decade? What kind of maintennance do you guys give your MUTS?

Thanks, Mike

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: