Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » does mad max 2 open with 1:85 anamorphic?

Author Topic: does mad max 2 open with 1:85 anamorphic?
Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2002 09:35 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i made up the print of mad mad 2 today and the first few minutes appear to be 1:85 anamorphic (side letterboxed) then it fades to black and then to full scope image. even the opening warner bros logo is letterboxed.
i unfortunatly dont have time for a test run on screen and i was hoping that someone could confirm this as i would like to run the first few mins in 1:85 masking and then open out to scope?.
while instinct tells me it is 1:85, is there a way measuring/working it out on the bench?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-29-2002 10:46 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Compare it to a 1.85/Scope trailer, especially if you can find one with a nice flash frame or the rating "band" is also in this format. Holding them bipacked together ought to give you a pretty good idea.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2002 02:11 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mad Max II (The Road Warrior) opens in a sepia tinted sequence windowboxed at 1:37 to 1. center channel mono. It then shifts to full Scope Stereo. Very effective.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2002 03:19 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Tombstone" opened that way too- as much as I didn't like that movie I thought that was pretty cool.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-29-2002 06:20 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't run it with the masking in. The effect is set up as a nararation with scenes from the first one incorporated with new scenes. The purpose was to give a fade out and a pull back camera effect out of the Blower intake manafolfd on the super charger of the Car. It is a very cool effect.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2002 09:55 PM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guy's, i'll run the whole show with scope masking!
fred, this print is mono all the way through.
we are screening this with mad max 1, which was remastered with SRD and DTS.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2002 12:43 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since this film was released in 1982, it probably had duel inventories of prints in both mono and stereo.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-30-2002 01:00 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Road Warrior" had a number of 70mm Dolby A mag prints in its 1982 North American release. I wonder what the condition is of those prints, if any are even left.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-30-2002 02:17 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, we tried to book that at Northpark back in the days of the Midnight Movie Series and were told no 70mm prints existed at that time. I wouldn't imagine any have been printed in the last 5 years.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2002 09:53 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Galaxy quest.

1.33:1 then 1:85 then full scope. It was a cool effect.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2002 10:22 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i screened it today as part of our regular sunday double, yep, it opened as 1:37 then to scope, so thanks again to all at film tech!.
the company advertised this double feature as BRAND NEW PRINTS, they both were ONCE new prints but not any more!, MAD MAX wasn't too bad but definitely not new and MAD MAX 2 looked quite nice but once again not new. we quite often get classics that have been reprinted and they always advertise as BRAND NEW PRINT regardless, i am going to have to have a chat with the PR manager about it!.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-06-2002 08:03 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

Just wait until your Film Guard arrives...then youŽll be able to advertise EVERYTHING brand new!

Those prints have been to Cremorne...say no more.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 02:24 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John!!

John Wilson said : "Those prints have been to Cremorne...say no more."

Now, now John, I work there now - remember!

I've lifted my self ban on posting at Film-Tech Forums due to one of the company's policy
I work for in regards for what it thinks of Filmguard and this site itself - and I dont mean Hayden - they want it!
I impossed the the ban in the first place because I was told to be careful what I said about this company.

I was going to visit you at Randwick last Saturday night 6th April 02,
after my day shift at Cremorne, regarding just how well Filmguard and the those cleaner gizmos work.

Perhaps I should have, because I got a call from the other place I work for at 11pm
THAT Saturday night, that BLACK NIGHT had chucked a wrap around.

Now normally, I use a little of Michael's Filmguard (50ml) that I knocked of him when was not
looking a few months ago, for films that are showing signs of sticking.

However the supply ran out a few weeks, and Hoy*s seem to have a
"Filmguard is not proven / overpriced / long term film damaged - DONT USE policy"
Another location sent a location wide intranet email asking where to get Filmguard, and they got into immediate trouble.
(I have sent Brad private emails regarding this - first reply was cool, waiting for him to sort out more info)

Our location wants the stuff as we know it works. Our location is the lowest on the the food chain,
and we HAVE to hand over our print(s) if another location scatches a print, admitted this happens only
perhaps once a year, but its annoying, to know that if its a base scratch, perhaps we can recover the
print to to be presentable using Filmguard and the cleaners - which they seem to not to want to research properly.

Anyway, we edge waxed both sides (thought of hitting it with the WD40 too - but nah - seems to work on DTS players
pretty good though - now WHERE did I see that demostrated??!! )

It runs ok now but MUST be baby sitted, The one I used the last of the FilmGuard supply on
was Kate & Leopold and the print has been running smooth as, since.

Anyway enough of that, onto MAD MAX I & II double
The prints we recieved of Mad Max and Mad Max 2 at Cremorne were advertised as brand new.
They were not, and we did not damage them in anyway.
Mad Max was in pretty good condition, Max 2 had bad base scratches, and that is one reason Im typing
this message, as you know in the Art House scene we are often promised brand new prints, only to
find they are heavily base scratched. (Funny Girl comes to mind) and 70mm 2001.
(Im worried about the 70mm Titanic we are waiting for to screen on the aniversary of the sinking April 14th)
NOW if Filmguard REALLY cleans up the base scratches Im there - My task is get this stuff - in "my" theatres.

As for sound formats on the Max films, I can remember, we pulled the SRD unit out of cinema 5 as it had
a Kelvar basement reader and was just a pain in the ass, so its DTS only now.
I think the Max 2 had a choice of analog mono, SRD and DTS but there were no DTS available in the country.
I think the Max original was simply Dolbly SR.

Regards Bill Langfield

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: