Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New reel of Lord of the rings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New reel of Lord of the rings
Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 08:05 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today in one multiplex of my company(where I work, I wish it was mine)it has arrived a new final reel for LOTR. It seems to have 5 minutes more or so that the old one. The title shown in the box is "A glimpse of the future".

Is it really a new cut or they are fooling me and trying to hide that they have asked for a replacement reel?.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-27-2002 08:14 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading a rumor somewhere [here?] that a new final reel of LotR was being prepared for release. Was supposed to contain teaser footage of the next 2 installments I think, or something like that.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 08:23 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In New Zealand release date for the brand new reel 9 is tomorrow.
I had to do a check, (for technical reasons is my excuse) and this is amazing.
From the shots of Wormtongue to Helms deep under attack by thousands of Orcs.
So many shots & details I will have to wait to receive my promo VCR trailer tape to take it all in.
Actually a very cunning marketing ploy to break the $300 million.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-27-2002 08:26 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, is it teaser footage of LotR 2 & 3 tacked on to the end but before the credits? How long is it?

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 09:55 PM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. It's a new reel with a trailer or teaser about the next installment. That's what my manager told me anyway.

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 10:12 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got a purple sheet telling us about this new reel, with a 5 minute trailer for the next LotR. It said we should be getting the new reel on Thursday. Sadly LotR will not be playing at our theatre on Friday though.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 10:16 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my hazy recolection of LOTR it is from Two Towers only.
I had all the best intentions of timing it but was caught up in the excitement. (I have no real life.)
I guess approx 4 minutes long.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2002 02:55 AM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah... footage from two towers is right there between the final fade out and the credits. we had to run our print through tonight because we got a new one. its great because there has actually been an increase in film gross for LOTR at my theatre for the last couple weeks. this will make it even more because the people will pay to see just that teaser. joy.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-28-2002 03:09 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The teaser is supposed to be 3 and a half minutes, and was personally cut by Peter Jackson. He may have made it longer, but the intention was for the three and a half minute mark.

Dave

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-28-2002 10:25 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about the new trailers for LOTR being attached on a new reel. Does this new reel also include a replacement CD-ROM disc for the LOTR DTS 6-Track "B" disc?

It would kind of suck if a new DTS disc was not provided. In the past, Disney provided new DTS discs for 2nd installments of those outtake reels on "A Bug's Life". I don't remember if they did it for "Toy Story 2" or "Monsters, Inc."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-29-2002 04:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember about Bug's Life, but the new reel #5 audio was already on the original discs for Toy Story 2 and Monsters Inc. The projectionist simply changed the reels (making sure to cut off lots and lots of ID frames because we all know that it is impossible to break a print down without ID frames) and threaded the movie and it was fine.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-29-2002 05:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Toy Story II yes, Monsters Inc, no. A new "B" disc was issued for Monsters Inc. What I don't know is if that new "B" disc also has the original reel 5's audio on it, in case the depot accidentally saves one of the original reels for future repertory use.

Karen, is it standard practice at dts to put both versions of a new reel on a replacement disc? If not, it would certainly make sense to.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2002 08:23 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The nearest theater to me still running LOTR is a General Cinema -- which this week downgrades LOTR to a double-up with Sorority Boys.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2002 09:21 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one that got entire new print? Instead, we got an all new print with the new reel and we are to break down the old print and send it back. Strange...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-29-2002 01:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it a "new" print, or "another" first 8 reels?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: