Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie AW3 broken slide bar pegs

Author Topic: Christie AW3 broken slide bar pegs
Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 03:08 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some used AW3 Christie Autowinds, and the slide bar has no pegs on it for the roller cluster to rest on, some nails and screws are placed loosely in the holes, but I'm looking for something more permanent. What should I do outside of ordering new slide bar assemblies?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-27-2002 03:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roll Pins? (Pins made from small, little pieces of rolled-up flat metal.)

You can often get things like this at Lowe's or Home Depot in the same section where you find the bolts and screws. (In those little drawers.)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-27-2002 04:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go to your local auto parts or hardware store and get some roll pins. I don't know the exact size, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 05:04 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, thats exactly what we do with our platter rebuilds, you have to drill the hole out to a larger size though, we use a 1/4" x 1 1/4" size. Just remove the entire guide rod from the platter and do the work on a bench. When you drill the hole out larger make sure you continue drilling through the other side.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2002 12:07 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are definately roll pins which your local hardware strore should stock and are dirt cheap!

While we are speaking of side bars, here is a problem that I encountered w/a repair that seems to work well.

Nutserts are the pressed in special fastener nuts used on the platter trees--this is what the Kelmar/Film-Guard mechanism screws into, and these are also used to fasten the side bar and other parts to the tree. Anyhow, these can ocassionally break. Nutserts should be available at your local hardware store, and they do require special installation tools. Being an Aircraft Mechanic, I have access to the tool that is a fancy pop rivet gun. But I do believe that there are also some inexpensive disposable installation tools available.

In any case, I had to repair some platters that had broken nutserts and prior jury-rigged repairs had been attempted. Beleive it or not, prior attempted repairs had been made using nuts and bolts, and for some reason the Nutsert holes were severely gouged out and badly damaged. Proper repair would have been to weld up the damaged hole, grind down, repaint, redrill and install new Nutsert. Instead, I was able to use a special fastener from the Local Ace Hardware. Expandable rubber plugs w/ threaded insert. This worked just fine and produced a solid and inexpensive repair/solution.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: