Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Trouble with a rewind table

Author Topic: Trouble with a rewind table
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 09:09 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the Kelmar RTV 8900.

The problem here is when I raise the speed to get the spindle going.
With no reel to weigh it down, it wont start spinning until the speed adjustment is at about 20-30%, and with a reel weighing it down it wont spin until about 50%.
When it does start spinning, it jerks and jumps immediately to whatever speed the control is on.
Ive tried looking at all the connections and everything seems ok.
Anyone have any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-27-2002 09:12 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, remove, inspect, and carefully re-insert the motor brushes. You may find that while they aren't worn out they may have hung up in their holders instead of making good, spring-loaded contact with the motor commutator. Taking them out and reinserting them may correct the problem.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 09:20 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also check the rheostat (speed control) for a wiper contact that may have fallen out of it's holder.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-03-2002 03:42 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now it's my turn. It's a Kelmar RTV-8500. I went through the sticky motor brush business a few months ago and it's been fine up until yesterday. Symptoms: Running hot, motor obviously (and odiferously) overheating. Finally, it blew the table fuse.

I took the motor out. It turns but maybe a bit tighter than would want. I took it apart. No signs of any damage or shorting. The commutator was worn where the brushes contact it (I polished it a bit). Bearings seemed fine. I blew out a lot of carbon dust. Brushes are getting short but still seem servicable. I checked for grounding between commutator and shaft but found none. I did find continuity between all segments but I think that's normal. Put it all back together. Seems like it tightens up to some extent then but I'm not sure if that's what is causing the overheating. Any ideas? BTW, I measured table input at 3.5-3.8 A at full speed with belt in place but otherwise no load.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2002 06:07 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be shorted turns on one of the motor windings.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-03-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm beginning to think that may be the case. More a matter of "there isn't anything else there" -- permanent magnets, two bearings, brushes, commutator & armature. Brushes are running a bit sparky but I don't think that's going to make a motor overheat. I thought maybe a bad diode in the bridge rectifier could have been letting AC through but they seem to check out ok.

Is there anyway to diagnose shorted windings besides the process of elimination?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-03-2002 09:05 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kelmar RTV 7000 series I used for many years went through several variacs. THe brush on the back of the control would lose contact.

I don't know if the RTV 8900's have variacs or some electronic control.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-03-2002 09:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm voting on a bad motor on Steve's case.

John, yes they still use variacs...though the 8000 series rewind tables use a larger variac than the 7000 series.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-03-2002 09:42 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Steve, it's just moving up in the world. From rewinding film in the booth to front-of-the-house Smell-O-Vision work.

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2002 05:19 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To check the armature windings you need a good ohm meter, connect the leads to the brush holders and slowly turn the armature.
this will give you the dc resistance of each winding, sparking at the comutater could be the comm out of round causeing the brushes to bounce.

hope this helps.

------------------
KALEE FOREVER. CARBON ARC, THE ONLY LIGHT FOR THE STARS!
ALL PARTS FOR VICTOR AND KALART VICTOR 16MM PROJECTORS.SERVICE TO 35 AND 16MM PROJECTION EQUIPMENT.
35MM sprockets made to order.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-06-2002 08:43 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get about 9 ohms on all opposing commutator segments, suggesting it's not shorted, which is strange since the process of elimination was strongly suggesting that. But the commutator was extremely worn under the commutator, like maybe a third of a mm. I'm trying to turn it down. The other clue was that the motor was harder to turn than it should be, despite nice, easily turning ball bearings. I was able to get it to run last night without overheating with it held together by its own friction (leaving out the long bolts) so I may be on to something. A replacement motor, while costly, is not as bad is one might fear, given the price of the table, so when I get bored with this "project" (a time rapidly approaching) I'm just going to give up and get order one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: