Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Maxi-8 automation

Author Topic: Maxi-8 automation
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-24-2002 06:23 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I am in the process of putting another screening room in my bedroom, and had a maxi 8 automation from a friend. Can this unit alone control credit lighting and curtains, or do I need to get my hands on one of the "auditorium programmer" units? I want it to basically do what our setup downtown does (TA 10).

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-24-2002 07:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Maxi 8 was barely more than a failsafe. It's cam timer was only used for show start to allow the motor to get a 7-second head start over the changeover and exciter lamp.

Steve

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2002 08:31 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, we want pictures of your bedroom...

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-24-2002 08:40 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assure you, I'll post them when its all done

JJ

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-24-2002 08:43 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my client's maintinance workers has transformed his bedroom into a "Soundfold" draped room with scrap brackets and multi-shades of wall fabric from many cinema projects...talk about "home" theatre........Dakota is cold so that bedroom is probably the warmest place to see a flick......
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-24-2002 09:32 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry exclaimed:
>Josh, we want pictures of your bedroom...

What, you've never run 35mm in your bedroom? Heck, I've even run an unmarried reel or two in here.

Not that that can compare to watching 70mm in Mark G.'s garage attic years ago.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-24-2002 09:35 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, that Maxi-8 you have was used in Cinema 5 in Mount Vernon, Washington in House Number 4. When I had it in operation, it was definately almost "Maxed" out. I had it control everything I wanted to. Steve Guttag is correct, it is nothing more than a glorified failsafe.

However, I had the inboard cue triggering the house lights directly. There was a switch that could route the cue, either to the Xetrol IV, or to the auto lense changer on a Ballentyne Pro-35.

Since the Ballentyne has a goofy change-over, I made the change-over open when the exciter came on, through a relay that was in series with the exciter lamp. Some of those contacts of that relay were used for Ultra-Stereo switching, etc.

Yes, the Maxi-8 can do alot of things.....but the circuits that have to be built to carry auxiliary functions have to be planned out on paper very carefully before they are implimented. The Maxi-8 provided the basic functions I needed very nicely. All I had to do is expand it with the use of latching relays, standard relays, and some other off-the-wall stuff I had to conjure up.

It performed flawlessly from 1984 when I built that booth until 2001, when I dismantled it.

I still have the circuits in my memory bank (what's left of it because of old age) but I can assure you I can get that thing to do what you want with a few add-ons.

When there is a will, there is definately a way! Plan in what you want it to do, and it can be done. I can make that thing flush your toilet if you would like for it to do so.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: