Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Auditorium sound tests - tone freq sweep

Author Topic: Auditorium sound tests - tone freq sweep
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-23-2002 01:58 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, I have a SG1 which plugs into any pre-CP500 processor and lets me do tone frequency sweep tests. I found a "buzzing" soda can stuck behind a surround speaker the other day!

But, what do you do with processors that won't take a SG1? I'm thinking of making an adapter that powers a SG1, but has a 3-pin cannon to plug directly into an amp. The 3-pin cord would be about 50ft long, so I could stand in the auditorium, since I'm usually by myself. I'd get a PC board edge connector to match an 85C or SG1 and wire something up.

I'd buy something like this, if it was small and would fit in with all the other junk I have to carry, but I don't know of anything avaible.

Has anyone done something like this before?

|  IP: Logged

Barry Hans
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 03:10 PM      Profile for Barry Hans   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Hans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a great idea John! I have used the pink noise out on an old White analyzer I had and just jacked it into the amp inputs. Of course my legs wore out running into the booth to swap channels. Your idea would make it nice to stand in the auditorium and do checks. Maybe try finding an old extender card setup and use that to hold the 85c or SG1 in.
Also, Neutrik makes a pink noise generator that is about the size of a xlr and plugs right into the input of an amp.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-23-2002 04:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the Loftech generator that goldline sells

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-23-2002 07:14 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Loftech/Goldline TS-1....is one of our test kit items...used the unit quite a bit when we where building 100's of low cost surround speakers.....great for bench work since it also has a frequency counter. www.gold-line.com
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre and Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-23-2002 10:06 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon; it looks like that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks!

(re-edited 'cause the url was bad)

Barry, check out: Click Here

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: