Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Amadeus re-issue (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Amadeus re-issue
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2002 08:13 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This side of the big waters has been promised a late-summer reisssue on Formans Amadeus.
Has this beauty been out second time by any of You guys ?
Has anything happened to it better than the original Dolby A ?

Per

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-23-2002 01:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing has come up over here, but I do know the film was remixed into 5.1 Dolby Digital for the LaserDisc release. That same mix could easily be transferred to the slightly technically inferior theatrical Dolby Digital format.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-23-2002 01:15 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see it listed as opening in NY, LA, SF and Toronto on April 5. It's supposed to be multi-digital but I won't swear to that until I do the preview screening and have a print.

Editing this post to add that it will play in Chicago at the Landmark Century starting on April 19 so it appears it will play in many markets.
http://movies.warnerbros.com/amadeus/

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-23-2002 02:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats great news if you ask me. Always one of my favorite films and more being added to it instead of taken away....
Its about time there was a good film playing again. Now I've got to get my feet unfrozen form the ice! Any 70mm's on this?? There were 70mm's when it was first released
Mark @ GTS
www.getgts.com

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 06:59 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No 70mm here - Nearest back in 1985 was London and Stockholm - Lucky Bastards !
OK, Joe - we'll run the LD instead, if they come up with a Dolby A for theatrical use...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-23-2002 09:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a 70mm print when it first came out. There was no baby boom on the film. They only used L, C, R and S....I remember thinking at the time, heck just print it on 35mm magnetic! Also they didn't let the mag stripes cure enough...the outside tracks were flaking away every show on some reels. Fortunately, the talking was all Center and the music was L & R

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 09:03 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has just be re-classified by the BBFC on 12 March, 2002.
So it looks like we shopuld be getting it in the UK.

Directors Cut 180mins

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-23-2002 10:26 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that more use should have been made of 4-track back in the heyday of the 70mm blow-up print. Not that 70mm isn't super wonderful; it is. But let's say you're releasing Return of the Jedi with 150 70mm prints @ something like $20K a pop. Make 20 fewer 70's and use the $400K to upgrade 200-300 or so of the many 35mm prints to Dolby-encoded 4-track magnetic. Announced well in advance, theatres would have dusted off and refurbished their old penthouses with new heads and acquired the necessary MPU's and NR just as they rushed to install 70mm. Far more people would have been able to enjoy discrete stereo under such a scenario.

Ah well, water under the bridge now.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-23-2002 10:38 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saul Zaentz Films: Quality, Not Quantity. Amadeus is a great movie and I hope the reissue shows here. I saw it in 70mm at the Edwards Big Newport in Newport Beach CA.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-23-2002 10:46 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I always thought that more use should have been made of 4-track..."

Good point. My guess is that: Just like some less discriminating people feel that digital projection is "practically as good" as regular 35mm, or that DTS 70mm is "practically as good" as SR mag 70mm, it was probably thought that optical decoded 4 channel was "practically as good" as discrete 4 track mag.

Not that I'm really knocking DTS; in fact I really glad for it because of it's price vs. performance. Heads aren't cheap, nor the time to set them up.

But, ya gotta admit; you got a lot out of those little brown stripes.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 12:37 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have Amadeus booked for right after the San Francisco dates.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 05:55 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow's LA Times Calendar section features a full-page ad for the re-release, almost two weeks before the opening date. So is this considreed Major? The only advertised format is SRD (in the body of the ad). Only two theatres are listed, including the new $14 theatre in Hollywood.

I'm getting tired of these "Director's Cut" tags. It sounds like these directors didnt' have final cut the first time around. Didn't they?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-23-2002 06:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we were running the original Appocolypse Now in 70 the standard booth line was
"I love the smell of magstripe it is the smell of quality"

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-23-2002 07:11 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard all that much 35mm 4-track mag material (and all of it has been from prints made in the 1950s and 1960s), but I was pretty underwhelmed by its quality. I really believe that Dolby Stereo SR optical tracks sound better. Admittedly, I'm comparing apples and oranges by suggesting that mid-range 1990s technology is superior to high-end 1950s technology, but the point that I'm really making is that 70mm mag is in a completely different league from 35mm mag. Maybe newer 35mm mag prints recorded and played back with modern heads and Dolby NR sound significantly better than 1950s/1960s 35mm mag prints, but I wouldn't know. I do know that 70mm mag can sound fantastic, but I'm afraid that the era of 150-print 70mm mag releases is largely (completely?) over....

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 07:37 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, -how much does one remember about sound impressions long after ? I don't think, we have seen (heard)35mm magnetic in Denmark since a block, counting "Close Encounters" (first time), Star Wars, and "1941" - all of them delivering top performance in any way.
-In my own distribution, i reissued "Le Mans" (about 1978-79), which i took over from another small independent distributor, in whose stock we found 3 nice mag/opt prints - also sounding really fine, allthough they were 8-9 years old. -But nothing since then - and i'm not going to argue 20-22 years after, whether these would sound better in any of the new formats. By then, we only seldom heard stereofonic sound in the cinemas at all, and then of course the scenes, where Belushi whirls his plane down between those high buildings to the tunes of Yellow Rose of Texas, just should kick the toupe off the whole audience in one sweep. -It was GREAT !

Per

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: