Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » fade-outs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: fade-outs
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2002 11:23 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets say i'm building a film (for a tower).

The end of a reel is a fade to black (frame lines present)

Lets assume There are cue marks.

Should the splice be 24 frames from the last cue mark.

(and if there are no cue marks or incorrect hand made cue marks, What should i do)

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-21-2002 11:36 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are a couple of different standards so you might check a non fadeout reel to see which is in use on your print. I believe the more common standard is that the changeover cue is 24 frames from the end INclusive of the 4 dot frames, so 20 frames of additional picture after the dots should be included in your build. (Obviously there is no point to a check frame when it's black anyway.) The other standard is 24 frames EXclusive of the dot frames.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-21-2002 11:37 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the cue mark location has been changed recently. Steve Kraus beat me to this one. Steve is correct.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2002 01:54 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be the need to change cue locations? I was pretty surprised to see the SMPTE standard regarding changeover cues (SMPTE 301-1999)... it specifies 18 frames after the changeover cue. Huh? What an odd number. And I have never seen a reel printed like this. Was this a recent revision? Can someone explain the reasoning behind 18 frames (and why no one uses it)?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-24-2002 02:24 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher, sometimes I think some people have to justify their damn jobs and change something that has worked for years.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2002 06:50 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A had a print of Monty Python and the holy grail (a new print) with hand made cues placed 4 frames from the end of the reel!

Unless it had been around 20 cinemas who had all removed a frame !!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-24-2002 08:28 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The difference in cue spacing is basically to accomodate the different head leaders

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2002 10:17 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 18 frames between changeover cue and the runout section of the foot leader specified in SMPTE-301 match the original Academy Leader standard, Z22.55. Note that the SMPTE-301 head leader is based upon the Academy Leader (16 frames per film unit or "film-foot") not the Universal Leader. The Universal Leader is based upon time not feet.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-24-2002 11:19 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not following why the type of head leader matters. My reference point in my own usage is 9 ft. It makes no difference to me whether I use a 9 ft. mark on a footage countdown or 6 seconds on a SMPTE Universal leader.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2002 05:47 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SMPTE-55 (SMPTE Universal Leader)
Motor Cue
4 frames
Distance between Cues
168 frames
Changeover Cue
4 frames
Distance to Last Frame
24 frames
TOTAL LENGTH
200 FRAMES
====================
ASA Z22.55 (Academy Leader) and SMPTE-301 (SMPTE Projection Leader)
Motor Cue
4 frames
Distance between Cues
172 frames
Changeover Cue
4 frames
Distance to Last Frame
18 frames
TOTAL LENGTH
198 FRAMES
====================

Then you'll have to ask the authors of the original documents.

SMPTE-55, the Universal Leader standard, has 7 seconds between motor cue and changeover cue and has 1 second between changeover cue and foot leader section. SMPTE-301 follows the original Academy Leader standard, ASA Z22.55.

One of the main reasons for the creation of SMPTE-301 was because some laboratories were following different standards for leaders and cue marks. Some labs used Academy leaders but followed the SMPTE-55 cue spacing. That 6 frame difference can make a difference in your changeover.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 04:16 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One way to solve Michael's problem would be to impose the death penalty on any editor or negative cutter who ends a reel with a fade out (or starts one with a fade in).

In the days before platters and towers, editors were actually encouraged to do this because it minimised the chances of cocking up a changeover. But on long play, it increases the risk of someone either making a join out of rack or simply cutting off the fade altogether.

You could argue that editors and negative cutters shouldn't have to worry about incompetent projectionists, but neither should cinema customers and if getting rid of fades on reel ends improves presentation overall then I'd be for it.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 09:48 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a nice 1936 B/W feature in the collection that has a fade-out at the end of all 5 reels. I've run it in 3 different platter situations, and never had any problems with out-of-frame splices.

Of course, I built it myself...

I have a long length of clear film with frame-lines that runs across the length of my bench. Great for checking those new additions to the collection here at Fiasco Films Co.

Not slamming any of you guys, of course, but, I've never had a problem with fade-outs at the reel ends. Lucky, I guess...

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 10:24 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fade-out / fade-in would seem like a great way to do the reel breaks from an editor's standpoint but besides the current issues regarding lazy platter people I don't think it was such a hot idea even when reel to reel was the norm. For one thing, you'd be changing from black to black and even the slightest difference in lamp intensity (carbon arcs, remember) is going to be readily apparent.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 10:28 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No-one who cares enough to read a website like this is going to have much of a problem finding frame lines, and if they do they'll solve it. However, it is a sad fact that there are people out there who don't care, do have a problem and won't do anything about it. In my projecting days I sometimes came across prints where several feet of a slow fade out or in had quite simply been chopped off.

If not placing fades on a reel end would prevent these morons from doing this, then everyone is better off. Personally I like fades at the end of reels because (assuming the lamp intensities match or the print is running on a platter) you're less likely to see a join go through if it's on black film. But I'd much rather have a join on a bright scene than risk someone cutting off several seconds of action.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 06:35 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As i mentioned in a previous thread on this subject, I really don't like fade-outs/ins on reel changes as usually the picture fades are accompanied by sound fades, and unless you're running digital, there will still be noticeable audio when the splice runs through.

That's on top of all the other usual arguments

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: