Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film-Guard Problem

Author Topic: Film-Guard Problem
Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 10:48 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater I am at runs the Strong Model 1060 projectors and seem to have the same problem.

If I apply film-guard to a print, I have a major problem with it shaking as it passes the main gate in front of the apperature plate. I have tried adjusting the pressure bands to the maximum tightness and it still does not seem to help. Luckily, after 2 or 3 shows, this problem goes away. I am pretty sure I am applying it correctly. I am using the Kelmar media type film cleaner with the media soaked in film-guard (just like in the directions).

Does anybody have any ideas to fix this? I do not want to have to run each movie 2-3 times on Thursday nights to get the film-guard worked in.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-18-2002 12:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only found that on a freshly Film-Guarded print, I have to turn up the tension "1-click" for that show. Since the Film-Guard contains a lubricant, it will have less friction for the gate to work with. I'm surprised that you can get the gate tension up to "5" on a Simplex and still not control the jump.

Incidentally, what media are you using. I have found that some soak up and apply more than others.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-18-2002 01:37 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you use the "Film-Tech" Media Pads instead of the Kelmar ones. They work much better.

I have had this same problem on Strong/Simplex projectors. I found at least in my case two problems, one of which is solved easily. Just make sure that your film path in the projector is squeeky clean between each run. The other is a maintenance issue so I wont bother to go into that one.

Also, while soaking the pads is good, I used a wire mesh screen to sit them on after soaking, so they could lose any excess film guard. Too much film guard is not a good thing.

Dave

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 01:53 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your tension spring and make sure it isn't starting to bend.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-18-2002 02:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Most Strongs run it just fine, but I have seen a few that exhibit this problem. It's always the later models with the separate gate and intermittent shoe.

Assuming there isn't a legitimate problem with your machine, sandwich a tiny piece of thin cardboard at the top of the gate bands like has been done in this picture on a Christie projector. This will solve your problem. Do be sure that this is not only happening on one specific projector. If it is specific to one, have your tech look at it. If you see it on all of them, you got one of those batches of projectors. It is normal to raise gate tension a couple of clicks when running FilmGuard because the film is now well lubricated and when the intermittent pulls each frame down, it keeps "sliding" further downward after the intermittent stops if proper gate tension is not there.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 05:41 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are right. It must be the media. I am using the Kelmar media.

Thanks

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-18-2002 08:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With respect to tension on Simplex projectors, my customers have had no problem with Kelmar, Film-Tech or Neumade media supplying the Film-Guard. Now there are comments as to how each of the media perform but that is another topic.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-18-2002 10:29 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simplex PR-1060? This is the one with the flip-up gate, similar to the Christie's... No?

Adjusting the gate tension on these babies is an inexact science. There's a stop screw that adjusts the gate closure. It just might be the case that you need to (have your tech) check up on that.

From everything I've been able to find out, there's no specific setting for that screw. You just have to "eyeball" it.

Point is that if you don't have stop screw set correctly you won't get enough tension, no matter what you have the tension knob set at. Normally, without F.G. you should be setting it at the minimum number to get a steady picture. With the F.G. making the film slippery, you might be needing a tension setting that's outside of the range of normal adjustment.

With luck you should be able to find a gate stop setting that will give you a happy medium between the two... Dry and with F.G.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-19-2002 01:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

AMC Mesquite 30 has these projectors and they had issues 2-3 years ago when they started using it. Apparently Strong had some sort of gate/shoe/trap/something-or-other upgrade/fix and that solved their problem. Any idea what that could've been? I can call and ask their tech to see if he remembers what they did specifically if this doesn't jog your memory. Overall though, people with problems in the field are extremely rare. 99% of all projectors run FilmGuarded prints perfectly without any extra steps. Those few that do I generally tell them if on their first time to use FilmGuard (not the first time on a given print, but the first time period) that if they can not control the jumping during the trailers, just to pull the film out of the cleaner and the fix is always easy and generally needed to be done to the projector to run film properly anyway.

BTW, the AMC I spoke of earlier was using "white" Kelmar pads.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2002 01:02 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my last theater, we had Simplex Milleniums, the kind with the seperate gate and shoe (Century-inspired). I had the same problem. Not just with one projector, but with most. Whenever I would run FG for the first time, I'd have to tighten the tension all the way (or almost all the way) for one or two shows. After that, I could return the tentsion to were it was. It really bugged me! I feel bad for the customers, too. They shouldn't have to see any jumping, even if only for the first 10 seconds of the first trailer.

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2002 01:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, please read the directions before you use a product, because you are complaining about something that is not a problem and is discussed in the instruction sheet. That is perfectly normal and the fact that you were able to steady the picture with the gate tension control shows your projectors were fine and were not part of the rare group that is being discussed here.

Just find a setting that works and leave it there. That's what everyone I know does. Otherwise you'll have to change that setting every time you load up new pads in order for it to work properly...kind of like having to change out those pesky dts discs every time you load up a new movie. You don't forget to change out discs, do you? Of course not. This is no different, except for the fact that you CAN find one gate tension setting and just leave it there.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2002 10:38 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with finding one setting that works and leaving it there is that the setting that worked with the Film Guard was usually 5 - the tightest. Am I correct in understanding that for normal operation it is best to run and the lowest tension that still acheives a steady picture? I don't want to run at 5 on a normal basis.

------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-22-2002 12:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Things are a bit different when you use FilmGuard. Regular booth guidelines such as gate tension are suddenly not the big deal that it is when you run film dry. No two projectors are the same. A setting of 5 on your projectors may be equivalent to 3 on another complex of the same model projectors made 1 year later, or another type entirely. All of the people I know of personally who use FG find a gate tension setting that works for them and just leave it. There have been no detrimental effects and as has been proven many times, even the digital tracks show improvement, instead of wear like happens when the film is ran dry.

Bottom line, just set them once and forget about it.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2002 01:28 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okyday. If I ever work at a theater again that has a media cleaner and uses FG, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: