Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Auto Digital on CP500 and Software version

Author Topic: Auto Digital on CP500 and Software version
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2002 11:21 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone.

I was convinced that one of the difference between software version 1.52 and 1.61 was that with 1.61 you could exit from a Dolby Digital automatically pulsed without the "Disabling auto digital" window.
Few weeks ago I tried to exit from auto digital, I had the "disabling auto digital" window, I pushed "cancel" and CP500 never asked me for that: at that time I can exit from Auto Digital without problem AND without disabling it!

Now something has changed. I have again the "disabling auto digital" windows, but if I hit cancel the system don't change the format and stays in digital.

Where is the problem: if my automatism is configured to call SK1 for trailers (with fader set at 4.0) and sk4 for feature (with fader set at 6.0) Dolby will deny the change if last trailer (where the cue is applied) has Dolby Digital.

What is changed? Why few weeks ago I played with the auto digital with no problem and now I cannot select another analog format during auto digital selected format?

Thanks for your help

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2002 09:56 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "Disabling auto digital" window only pops up if you push 05(SR). and not if you push another format. If you push another film format it will stay in digital,though it will switch to non-sync at any time. If you hit Cancel when this window pops up it will stay in digital. This is normal.
If you have format 10 on SK 1 for trailers and on SK4 for feature and your automation pulses both functions, you should turn off the auto digital functions completely.You don't need them. This is what is causing the system to ignore your cue to go to SK4. Just be sure to leave format 05 on SK3 so it can default properly and it should work fine.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2002 05:06 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick,

You are right. No problem if I select another format 10.
But suppose that you want to select a different fader setting while the CP is in the SR "backup" format (the one with the "warning" icon). In that situation CP will never select another format 10, so it will ignore the sound level too.
This is why we would use the auto digital. Otherwise we have to put a black leader without Dolby Digital on it after the cue so that we can select another SR format because in that moment the CP exits from Dolby Digital. I do not know if I was clear...

But my question is another: WHY just two weeks ago I could select a 05 SR while in auto digital without any compliant?????
Does it depends from the moon's position?????

Bye
Antonio

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 01:27 AM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to assume your system is set up so that your automation pulses the CP 500 at the start of the show to SK1 and then a cue after the trailers pulses SK4. I will also assume that you have programmed both SK1 AND SK4 as SR-D (at different fader levels). As long as you leave format 05 on SK3, this should work fine. It shouldn't matter if your'e in default SR or not. If valid digital is not being read, it will stay in SR, but should go to the last SR-D softkey that was pulsed.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your setup? What formats do you have programmed on what softkey?
As to your other question regarding the autodigital, a lot of people dont realize that simply because the little 'S's and the little 'a' are on the formats screen, that they may not be in autodigital mode. Look at the small 'P1' indicator in the middle of the screen. If you don't see a letter 'A' right beside it (P1A) you are not in autodigital. to engage it, simply press "Menu", then SK7 which should say "Auto Digital Proj. 1 Disengaged". It will change to "engaged".
I'm sorry if I am telling you stuff you already know.
Hope this helps.
RLJ!

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 01:49 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick,

Yes, I know how Auto Digital works, no problem I have a chance to learn someting new!

Yes, my setup can be seen as you told. Dolby Digital at 4.0 on SK1 and Dolby Digital at 6.5 on SK4.

Follow the events.
(A)
- Trailer A (DD) Dolby stays on SK1 fader at 4.0
- Trailer B (SR) Dolby drop to SK3 fader at 4.0
- At the end of trailer CUE
- Dolby CANNOT change to SK4 because the sistem is already in Dolby Digital. It will stays in SK3 at 4.0

(B)
- Trailer A (DD) Dolby stays on SK1 fader at 4.0
- At the end of trailer CUE
- Dolby switch to SK4 and fader switch to 6.5

So the problem is that I cannot switch to a Dolby Digital format if I'm already in a digital format.
At this moment I have Format 5 SR (that is source for auto digital on SK7) on SK4 so that it can be called in every moment, from any format.

Once that the system is in Auto digital, and the Auto digital called format 10 is running, I cannot "exit" from SK7 without having the "disabling auto digital" window.
You'd say "this is normal".

I say that two weeks ago I could exit from an auto digital called format without any window.

Why?

Bye
Antonio

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2002 08:09 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a chance to play with a CP 500 today and found that I could switch between two SR-D formats with no problem while film was running.
I had SK-4 as SR-D in auto digital mode and SK-8 as SR-D but not auto digital, and I was able to select either one without a problem. This unit is version 1.61 as well.
I may be misunderstanding, but if you are trying to use two separate keys set up as format 05, this could be where the problem is. I am almost positive that the SR-D subsystem is only going to use SK-3 as SR backup, and will not recognize it on any other Softkey. That is, you can have digital on any key but SR analog MUST be on SK-3. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

As to why you could exit from SR-D to SR without a window before is a mystery. The only thing I can think of is that the auto digital feature was not turned on.
Also, if your automation pulses SK-1 at the start of the show and then SK-4 at the end of the trailers, I would recommend not using the auto digital function at all. Just leave them both as SR-D. It will default to SK3 but go right back as soon as digital is read.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2002 06:12 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick,

The problem is not switching from digital to digital while the film is running but digital to digital without digital running.

Push a Dolby Digital format with idle projector. Then push another digital format. CP will say "not ready".

This is why I set all automations calls on SR formats: who tell me that the automation call the digital SK while the digital is active??

I'm sure that auto digital was enabled when I had no "disabling auto digital" windows because after and SR was selected the CP switched immediately in a DD format.

Bye
A

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2002 07:18 AM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm....
OK. Say you are running SR-D from SK-1 and you stop the projector, it will default to SR on SK-3. If you then push SR-D on SK-4, it will say 'Not Ready' and stay in SR but it should go to SK-4 as soon as the projector starts running digital again. In other words, the unit will select the last SR-D format that was pressed.
There is possibly one other thing that could be causing you problems.
Is this a two projector setup or just one? If only one proj, check to see that the motor start connector on the back of the CP 500 has pins 1 and 5 connected. The CP 500 will allow you to select SR-D without film running IF the motor start is not connected. If you are only using one projector, you do not need, and in my experience should not use a relay for this. Just leave pins 1 and 5 connected at all times. I will try to play a little further and see what else I can come up with.
Hope this helps!
RLJ

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2002 03:25 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Say you are running SR-D from SK-1 and you stop the projector, it will default to SR on SK-3.
--
Ok
--
If you then push SR-D on SK-4, it will say 'Not Ready' and stay in SR but it should go to SK-4 as soon as the projector starts running digital again.
--
Are you sure? I know that CP will stay on Dolby Digital that you set on SK1 with that fader level.
I will try but I've always changed to SR and then to SR-D in that situations.
--
In other words, the unit will select the last SR-D format that was pressed
--
If DD track is not present in that moment you have to select an SR (or a Non Sync) to have a format change (i believe).

I'll check but I don't think.

Thanks for your help!

Bye
Antonio

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2002 06:52 AM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am almost positive that it will go to the last SR-D format pulsed.
I will try to confirm this at the shop today. We have a few used 500's that we recently uninstalled.
Have a good one!
RLJ

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2002 02:06 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick,

I will make few tests. Are you sure that you are not referring to this situation:

- Projectors idle, CP500 on SR format
- Push an SR-D Format: the CP will switch immediately on a SR format.
- When projetor starts and Dolby Digital is read CP switch to the SR-D pushed before.

This is right. What I'm almost sure that will not happen is the following:
- Projectors idle, CP500 on SR format
- Push an SR-D Format: the CP will switch immediately on a SR format.
- Then Push another SR-D format: CP will say "Not ready"
- When projetor starts and Dolby Digital is read CP switch to the first SR-D pushed. The second one will be ignored.

However, I'm sure that the fader setting will be ignored in that case so also if it is as you say, it is useless!!

Bye
Antonio

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: