Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS disks from Universal

Author Topic: DTS disks from Universal
Joshua Wood
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 03:55 PM      Profile for Joshua Wood   Email Joshua Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I often don’t get DTS disks with prints, I’d say about half of the prints we receive do not have DTS disks. So every week I get to call Technicolor and ETS about getting disks out to me. Technicolor usually gets me the disks within a few days. A couple weeks ago I call about disks for Big Fat Liar, not even sure why I’d want to play DTS for the 1 or 2 people watching it, but I do. I got a call back a couple hours later saying Universal wouldn’t send the disks, so I dropped it. Last night I call to gets disks for Time Machine, Return to Neverland, Dragonfly, and Big Fat Liar. This morning I get a call saying Universal will not send the disks unless the theater pays for them. Is that Universal’s new thing? I don’t really care about playing Dragonfly and Big Fat Liar in DTS, I just like seeing that green light, but I may want to play some future Universal print in DTS. That’s the only problem I’ve ever had with Technicolor, I love calling Technicolor, they’re always so nice. ETS on the other hand, I won’t even get started.

|  IP: Logged

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 06:41 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua,

Who told you that you'd have to pay for them? That is totally wrong! I will take care if it if you would please send me an email with all the information you have.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2002 06:11 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Pay for DTS disks???? Would be the end of Digital Theater Systems!!

I see that also in USA there are people that love to say stupidity just because they don't know the answer of your question...

Bye
Antonio

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-16-2002 02:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
"I see that also in USA there are people that love to say stupidity just because they don't know the answer of your question..."

And where exactly did this little stupidity slam come from, Antonio? The word stupid was not even used in this thread. Your comment is awfully generalized and seems to have come from nowhere. Are you sure you posted that in the thread it was intended for?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-16-2002 02:48 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
I think Antonio was trying to translate the concern that people can be so non-serving or not care to follow up. In parts of Europe it is not uncommon to get quick answers or follow-up. One of my former technician lives in Spain and his service contracts guarantee a service call or response within 30 minutes....or the client will sign up with a competitor.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2002 05:19 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad!

I've nothing with USA people!!! I'm so sorry, you know that sometimes (often? always?) I'm not able to translate correctly what I meant.
Richard is right: I didn't had concerns with USA people, but with stupid people, that lives everywhere! Mine was just a witticism.

Sometimes I take some words direcly from an english-italian dictionary like "stupidity" has been. Perhaps the italian's word "stupido" has a different mean than "stupid". If tomorrow ones from the distribution will say me that I have to pay from DTS disks I'll define it as "stupido"...

I apologize for the confusion, It wasn't my intention to offend anyone or anything.

Perhaps you could change my comment in this way: "Also in ITALY there are a lot of people that love to say stupidity just because they don't know the answer of your question...", assuming that "stupidity" means what I think: I'll ask to my old english theater next week...

Hope that this posts cannot be a problem.

Bye
Antonio

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 01:08 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to assure eveyone that the contract we have with studios is that they are to NEVER EVER charge for discs. This applies to their distribuators as well.

We are following up on the report and will take any necessary action to resolve the situation.

Karen at DTS

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-19-2002 11:25 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the charge he was referring to was for shipping. There was one time when I had to have a set of disks sent in via Greyhound bus from the ETS depot, because we received our print from another theatre without disks. The disks came in "freight collect."

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2002 05:37 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my screen 1 i run both DTS and SRD-ex, in screen 2 DTS is the single digital system.
From the beginning, we were not many danish theatres getting on board the DTS-train, and i could often be a problem getting discs - especially when you were not running a cenrtain film from its premiere. "The discs are so expensive, we buy only the number we need to serve the first-run theatres having DTS" was the first stupid answer (yes, Brad, i do think they're stupid, even though they are danes - no translation error) you might get from those little girlie-bookers.
After crying over this - first by Karens shoulder, later at the new DTS service departments in Europe (Brussels and today Twyford, England)it was possible with short notice to get help on this.
Today, we are only seldom having problems on this, except from just now: For me, it has, since i installed my first DTS unit, it has been a matter by heart (transltion ????) getting the local distributors to learn the possibilities in using the same film print for both danish and orginal language versions of f. ex. animated features. -Young people love to watch "Shrek", "Monsters" etc., etc., but will never admit it, unless they can have it in english version as some kind of alibi for being grown-ups. Since first showing of "The Little Mermaid", the Disney norm has been 40-50 prints in danish and one or two originals, meaning that only 2 or 3 cities outside Copenhagen got the possibility - again meaning that minor places once more has to watch from the sideline, while the local youngsters goes to the near-by big cinema to get "the real thing".
Now, at last - and at the same time both Disney, Fox and UIP heard my prayers: -Well, Disney one month too late, 'cause their prints for "Monsters" were allready struck - without DTS timecode - but "Ice Age" and "E.T" were made with timecode, and 2 sets of discs could be delivered to every theatre, who wanted to go both ways.
Perfect --allmost, -both companies were just a little bit late ordering, so that the sneak-preview on "Ice Age", -one week prior to the premiere, became SRD and danish version only, and the premiere on both films were in danger, too. -I was lucky - knowing the right number to call in England - and whoops - with just 2 days warning, DTS/Europe had saved Malling Bios danish opening on those two wonderful films. That's great service ! --Unlike Dolby - back when installing SR and 70mm magnetic on CP65, we had some wiring/connection trouble, and called, as the book said some 24 hour service office in the states (locals being closed as we worked the night over). Just a couple of questions to be answered, and we could manage by ourselves, -but no way: "You're in Europe, that must be Londons job to answer that" --- have a nice day !
At the same time, the opportunity was there to compare the digital systems, and even without messure gear, the difference is clear.
DTS is so much more dynamic, -and no drop-outs on worn prints or splices.
Lots of reasons for DTS to win. -Back them up, as they do us !!

Per

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: