Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kate & Leopold... DTS..... WHAT THE?!?!

Author Topic: Kate & Leopold... DTS..... WHAT THE?!?!
Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2002 08:12 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any other Aussie Film-Techers have a print of Kate & Leopold where the DTS doesn't work for the first part of the film?????

In the immortal words of Rove ..... WHAT THE?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-13-2002 08:19 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first issue DTS discs were recalled because the movie was edited after the sneak preview and new discs weren't ready in time for general release. A lot of theaters including the one here had to play the film in analog because they didn't receive replacements that would work with the release print. Check under "Miramax Causes Chaos" in Film Handler's Forum.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-13-2002 08:21 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't use the dts discs. They did last minute changes and did not make new discs. This may be why it doesn't work right. Discs probably got sent out when they shouldn't have.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 06:38 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt,

There were last minutes changes to four reels of KATE AND LEOPOLD. Because the changes were made so close to release, discs were not provided in the US. New discs were made and provided to the release company for international territories. According to our records, none have been requested for Australia.

The new discs that contain all the correct reels have blue artwork and are labeled simply "Kate and Leopold" with no trailers.

If you have any other discs (any other color), they will not work. Try calling the film distribuator and ask for the blue discs. If you cannot get them, you'll have to run in optical or in one of the other digital sound formats.

Karen at DTS

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-15-2002 08:23 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder where Buena Vista got their discs from then? Curious...

Our A disc was cracked like a broken tooth so we weren't using them, but the SRD track is damaged and the SR track is recorded at a lower level ?? so I tried the dts discs tonight...

They seem to work for 1a but stop until 3a.

Does that correlate with your info Karen or is it the fact that the A disc here is damaged and that's why it won't play. I will look tomorrow at which version of disc it is.

John

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-15-2002 09:53 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen,
Do you know if DTS discs were made available for the sub run in the US? We have Kate & Leopold on our schedule for mid-April.

--jhawk

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 12:18 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John in Australia - yes, a damaged disc, especially cracked, will not work and must be replaced.

John in MA - I will find out for you and post the answer later today.

Karen at DTS

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2002 06:51 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our DTS disks dont work in the first part of the print also the last couple of spls but work for a short time in the middle of the movie.
So we are running the film in SR.D which has an error rate of 6-7 but not dropping out yet!

Stephen

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2002 03:38 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John ... So there's nothing wrong with my SR.... yours is lower too huh?

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2002 09:04 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw 'Kate and Leopold' at another theatre on Friday night, and when I came to work on Saturday night, I was shocked to discover that I was watching a scene from our print that did not exist in the print I saw at the other theatre on Friday!

The scene in question occurs early on (I will have to watch our print to see what the context is). It's the scene in which Meg Ryan and her assistant go to the movie theatre. That scene does not appear whatsoever in the other print...so there are two versions of the movie currently screening in Sydney.

I wonder if the original DTS discs would work with their version? (they don't work with ours, as John W said).

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2002 04:42 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..... Michael, you're kidding! .... Does the distributor think we won't notice? ... or won't care? re: DTS, different prints...

Also, is it just me, or is it hard to believe that the distributor would be totally oblivious to DTS dramas with this film...... Wouldn't they know they were sending me the wrong DTS discs????

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 01:18 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have not gotten a reponse from Miramax about KATE AND LEOPOLD rerun in the USA. For right now, in the USA, it is considered to be a "non-DTS release." If anything changes, I'll post a message.

Karen at DTS

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-20-2002 02:01 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BVI sent us a replacement dts A disc for this film today...Of course, it won't work as it's the original disc version (read above explanation from Karen).

Stupid... we pay full price for these releases yet the distributor (BVI) send us second-hand prints with damaged vision and SRD track and dts discs that don't even match the version we are running!

Whatever happened to caring about what you do? How can BVI NOT be aware of a problem in one of their releases BEFORE it is released here which is what, 5 months after the USA release?

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the morons in this business". - Indiana Jones.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2002 11:41 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make that 2 1/2 months. In the US Kate & Leopold had its sneak preview 12/14-15. Because the reaction came back "this movie is a piece of s#($t!" Miramax recalled and re-edited the print -- pushing the release date back to Xmas Day.

On a related note Miramax laid off 75 employees last Friday. Kate & Leopold is one of the reasons why.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: