Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » heat waves? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: heat waves?
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-10-2002 10:04 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed something else when I was at "We were soldiers" today. at the top of the screen during the movie ther were curls of distortion, only noticeable in light areas of the picture which were darker than the surrounding white image. is that the hot air around the bulb distorting the light in the lamphouse or what? I also saw it during the prescreen ads and also in another house at the same theater. Anyone know what this is?

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-10-2002 10:13 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you sort of answered your question with the topic header. It is heat waves but from the hvac system. The waves of heat are refracting the light beam and is most apparent in bright scenes. This disapears once the room tempreture increases.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-10-2002 10:16 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Darryl. I have seen that phenomena many times.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-10-2002 10:26 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info guys

JJ

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2002 10:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh,
Thats exactly what it is. The heat waves from the ceiing mounted vents that shoot air downward into the cone of light traveling to the screen. Its definately not the plasma inside the bulb or anything like that. I remember once an engineer fomr HAnovia telling me that the actual plasma itself has never been observed in an operating xenon lamp.

Paul, Please put that weenie down will ya. There's weenie goop running out from all over my monitor screen! All it does is smear around, can't clean it off!

Mark @ GTS

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-10-2002 10:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, It does kind of have a 3-D effect, doesn't it? I kind of got the idea from Joe Redifer's finger.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-11-2002 12:07 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, if there is, um, goop on your monitor it must be on *your* side of the glass. I can only wonder what sites you've been visiting!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2002 12:11 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna disagree with youse guys. I had this exact problem in the Strong X-15 vertical lamp lamphouses. They used two reflectors, with the front one being solid metal. I was always getting heat waves, whether the HVAC was on in heat, air conditioning, or turned off entirely. I put up with those damn things for years.

This isn't plasma, which would theoretically only be within the arc itself, it is the hot gases "boiling" and transferring heat from the arc to the envelope.

I've never seen this problem be as noticable with horizontal lamps or deep dish reflectors. The double reflector system somehow accentuates the visibility, perhaps because the light is shining through the gas to the front reflector, then back through the gas again, all the way through before being caught by the rear reflector.

HVAC units can also cause problems, so I have no idea which problem Josh is seeing. The thing to ask would be whether the lamphouses have vertical lamps and double reflectors.

Paul, I hope you brought enough weenies for everyone.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-11-2002 12:44 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one has been the subject of many an argument... Here's mine.

Unless someone can give me evidence to the contrary, it is impossible for the heat 'convections' either in the bulb itself or inside the lamphouse to show up clearly on the screen with the lens in, as neither of them are anywhere close to the focal point of the lens.

Which leads us to the next cause. EVERY time I have seen this phenomenon happen, the heaters were operating, and in nine out of ten cases there were HVAC registers within 5 feet from the screen. Turned off the heater, phenomenon went away. I have seen this happen to a lesser extent when A/C was operated in a warm auditorium as well, with similar curative actions (turning the system off)

Lamps I have observed this phenomenon occur with include:
CFS consoles
Christie horizontal lamps
Xetron XHC-35 and XH2000 horizontal lamps
Strong X-16, Super Lumex and Super 80
Peerless Magnarc (so much for the 'gases in the bulb' theory!)

My bottom line here: its the HVAC system!

-Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-11-2002 12:47 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry, I have seen the heat waves you speak of while targeting Xenon lamps on the screen without a projection lense, but never observed it when the lense was in the projector.

If Josh saw billowing clouds of heat waves at the top of the screen during the movie he was watching, I'll bet it was from the HVAC system. The North Dakotans are presently freezing their asses off, and the HVAC systems in the theaters are probably running at full capacity.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2002 01:15 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have seen the heat waves that Jerry speaks of while targeting a xenon bulb without the lens in place. But as soon as you put that lens back in you no longer see the problem. In Joshes case it is the HVAC system.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2002 01:28 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... I can no longer provide the evidence, but a few years of standing at the port glass staring at the upper right corner of the screen waiting for changeovers (with lens in place) gave me plenty of time to curse these. I know what I saw. I don't see much point in belaboring it further. If it isn't there, you won't see it.

Yes, if you remove the lens the movement can be very apparent.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2002 02:44 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cameo in Edinburgh has suffered the 'waterfall effect' for as long as anyone can remember. Various experts told us it was gas convection in the bulb and/or lamphouse and there was little we could do. Changing from a Magnarc to a Super Lume-X made no difference. It looks really bad in there as the ventilation (extract, no AC) ducts are position dead on the centre line of the theatre, and when the fans aren't running, ie it's cold, then you get cold air falling down the vents from outside. These vents were installed a long time before anyone thought about electric dampers or such like. By trial and error I found that I could eliminate the effect by matching the speed of the enormous 3 phase extract fan (this thing is cast ally and is about the size of a small helicopter! Well ok I exagerate, but you get the idea, one fan pulls all the air from a 250 seat auditoreum). Must have looked kind of odd to anyone coming into the booth to find the projectionist looking out the port, adjusting the fan speed controller, looking out the port, adjusting the fan speed controller....

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2002 01:38 AM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Jerry said, I too have seen this at a now closed screening room style theatre I used to operate...It had Cinemecannica Zenith 1600 watt vertical lamphouses with auxillary reflectors. They always had a noticible "light swirl" on the screens. The rooms had radiant floor heating buried in the slab, and it happened exactly the same all year long.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2002 03:31 AM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES! i too have seen the waves while focusing the bulb sans lens. at least we arent agreeing to disagree... yet

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: