Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » favorite booth monitor? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: favorite booth monitor?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-17-2002 03:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the current booth monitor of choice? I'm interested both in sound quality and stuff like reliability, usefulness in troubleshooting, etc.

Of the equipment that I've worked with, I'd vote for the THX monitor/crossover (the old-ish model; I'm not sure if these are still being installed since THX now has separate standalone crossovers). These sound pretty good and are reliable. The faders and selector buttons don't seem to wear out over time. They're set up for LE and RE channels out of the box. My only major complaint is that they often aren't loud enough to be heard across a large booth (a sometimes-useful feature).

The best-sounding monitor that I've heard was a homebrew job involving a small PA speaker and a 100w PA amp, along with a channel-selection knob. It was simple, but it did the job.
As for others: most seem to have poor quality faders that don't hold up for more than a few years. The SMART, Kelmar, and Odyssey monitors all seem to have this problem...
On a related note, does anyone sell a full 8.1-channel-capable booth monitor for Dolby EX setups?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-17-2002 03:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ultra Stereo monitor is noticeably bad about that too. The volume knobs become scratchy within a year and even if the rear control is cranked, the monitor is simply not loud enough for a noisy projection booth. Also, the little speaker will blow if even a tiny amount of bass is encountered.

The THX monitor coupled to a JBL 8340 external speaker is the best one I've found. My only complaint is it doesn't handle EX.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-17-2002 05:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Component Engineering monitors I like as alsot the smaller 10 channel Smart one.
For low cost the smart economy 6 channel can't be beat for reliablity and cost

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-17-2002 05:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had great luck with the Smart and Component Eng. monitors. As Brad says the THX 3417 is pretty decent when U connect up an external spkr. to it.
Mark @ Home

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-17-2002 05:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monitors are one of those niddly little things that you want, they should be good but can't cost too much or the customer won't pay for it.

I haven't had the problems with the USL monitors that some have had, there was a bad run on the CM-60 speakers that came unstuck and blew out too easily. The CM-60 uses a "I'll take up 4 outlets cuz I'm so big" wall-wart and a noisy switching power supply. It can also deal with processors that have built-in crossovers. Since they placed that feature on the "D" connector input, it does not follow the THX standard exactly.

USL has addressed the low volume level that plagued the CM-35. Both the CM-60 and CM-80 have plenty of volume now.

If you have an EX system, then your favorite monitor can sacrifice the Subwoofer channel for the rear or EX channel, if you can't feel the subs, then they are not on and a 2-3" speaker isn't going to acurately represent the sub channel anyway.

SMART makes the MN-610 that has ALL of the channels (10 of them) so LC, RC and all four surround channels are represented. It has the nice feature that it is differential in on all channels too since many of the modern processors are now differential out. It is accommodating in that it has a DB-25 input connector that conforms to the THX pin-out though they got the gender wrong for the connector they use (you must either make your own cable or use a ribbon cable but put the connector on upsidedown so wire 1 goes to pin 13 on one side). It also has phoenix type input blocks for all channels if you want to go that route. It fits in a 2-u rack space so it is space accommodating too. The little 2" speaker is very tinny so don't look for Hi-Fi output but they do offer an external speaker jack to use a real speaker. Each channel can be added to the mix and processor/amplifier monitoring is available...the dinky 4 level meter is near worthless but it does function as a SPI indicator so you visually know the channel has signal.

The current THX monitor, the THX-D1138 is actually quite good in many respects. The sound quality for it's size is simply the best. It only may be used for a THX theatre so that limit's it's availablility but if you have a THX theatre, it is a VERY nice piece.

If you are looking for high quality sound from your booth monitor, Panastereo has a solution. Their monitor is only 1-u tall and has a two channel amplifier built in. There is also a substantial led based VU meter to visually see what it going on downstairs. How do they pack it in 1-U of space? There is no speaker, that is up to you! After all, how can one put a quality speaker in a small package (except BOSE of course, physics doesn't apply to them). So get a couple of what you think are good sounding speakers, place them above the ports and have at it! Panastereo has a thing for stereo monitors. Though it can be programmed as a mono monitor, the stereo idea has left from left, right from right, center from both and surround from both. The current monitor does handle EX (I believe the model is the CM-230EX). It does not handle LC and RC though and their is a mix mode for the three stage channels (like the THX monitor).

A hidden feature in the Panastereo CSP-1200 is the built in booth monitor, the catch, you need their remote to select the channels. In that case you will need your own amplifier(s) (yes it is stereo or mono out) and speakers but the channel selection is available to you.

QSC has entered into the monitor fold with their crossover/monitor (I believe USL also has one available now). The monitoring facilities are adequate and can handle what ever channel arrangement you might have since there are 3 models depending on what channel configuration (both number of channels and how many crossover points). The input is a D-25 connector that conforms to the THX standard so hook up can be quick. While it doesn't offer any sort of VU or SPI indication (after all it, only works with the DCA line of amps that have VU meters) it does have a "FAULT" indicator that lets one know if something has gone wrong with a channel. The installer programs what the speaker loads are (max and min per channel) and the monitor looks at that over a long time period, if a driver shorts or opens or goes horribly out of range, a red fault LED will flash and by pressing the fault button the problem channel can be identified.

Well those are my top contenders for current units and they each have their place in life depending on the application.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-17-2002 05:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For that matter the CP100 had a monitor selector built in to it

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2002 07:06 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Component Engineering MS-100 is my choice.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-17-2002 08:09 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do like both the "old" and "new" THX monitors, but several of both have arrived with scratchy volume pots.

The only issue we have is when we use the QSC amps with the newer THX D1138 monitors. The amps have a "sleep" mode that is controlled by the QSC monitor. But in THX houses, you have to use the new THX monitor which don't control the amps.

For some reason, almost every time I plug headphones into a THX 3417 monitor, the speaker fuse blows. I admit I don't do this often, but it's happened several times.

I still like that old Ampex switching thing that would switch out one of up to eight amps. The amp that got switched out got a 8 ohm 100 watt resistor switched for a load. A rotary switch selected which channel went to the monitor amp and speaker.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-17-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is for Component Engineering MS-100

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm for the Component Eng. MS-100 also. For the average booth, it is a good value when comparing quality/cost.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2002 04:24 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is the THX-1138, Ultra-Stereo CM-60 & CM-80 monitors, Smart monitors.....auhhhhhhh NO !!!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-19-2002 07:41 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a location that has those Ultra-Stereo 35 monitors. Each and every one of them has "scratchy" pots. The booth operators leave them turned off; I've never seen them in use.

Is there something I can do to solve the problem? Would contact cleaner work?

And what about the low volume level in these? That pot at the back did nothing for me.

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-19-2002 07:43 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On another note, I'm happy to see that word on the Component Engineering monitor is positive, because I just ordered a batch of them for a location I'm re-doing.

I have good memories of the MS-100 from my AMC days.

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 07:51 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use ready made monitors, we spec what's needed for each job, and our workshop makes it up as part of the rack build, form 'building brick' components that we manufacture. Thus we can have as many channels as needed, with whatever comination of bi-amp, tri-amp, summed monitor mix etc.

That said when I have worked with off the shelf monitors, I quiet like the QSC DCM series. The Ultra Stereo is too quiet, you can't hear it over the mechs.

A lot of good monitors are held back by crappy speakers too.

Giorgio Volpi
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 09:44 AM      Profile for Giorgio Volpi   Email Giorgio Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I only know Component Engineering MS-100, Ultra-Stereo CM-60 & CM-80 and Smart monitors.
Among these I prefer the Component Engineering one.

------------------
---+++---+++---+++---+++---
Have a good projection ....

Giorgio.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: