Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » spectrum analyzers: weighting

Author Topic: spectrum analyzers: weighting
Kelsey Black
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2002 01:11 AM      Profile for Kelsey Black   Email Kelsey Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am using a software-based spectrum analyzer to do b-chains in my theater. The software has different scaling modes, flat, a-weighted, b-weighted, and c-weighted. I have had the best results with a-weighted, however the dialogue just blends in with everything else...
I am trying to set the curve to academy, flat to 2k and -3db per octave.
Am I missing something here? (besides a R-2, of course)

Kelsey Black

|  IP: Logged

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2002 03:54 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Set the analyser to flat or c-weighted when doing equalisation and to C-weighted when setting the SPL level. Do not use A-weighting at all. If you use A-weighting you will end up with way too much top and bottom end when you equalise and your SPL setting will be far too high.

The problem with using PC software based analysers is that usually you are restricted to one mic (very bad) and the level calibration could be anywhere (even worse) unless you have the means to set it correctly. My advice is don't use a Radio Shack (Tandy) SPL meter as a reference for this, they are too inaccurate.

------------------
Ray Derrick
President/Chief Engineer
Panalogic Corporation Sydney, Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 9894 6655 Fax: 61 (0)2 9894 6935

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2002 08:08 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy and others,

A question, perhaps a bit OT: I would like to have a RTA for my Home Theater room. If I have the software and the PC, how much money can I pay a good microphone? What kind of microphone should I buy?
Will the result be at least "good"?

Thanks
Antonio

Kelsey Black
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2002 08:32 AM      Profile for Kelsey Black   Email Kelsey Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ray for the quick reply. I imagine this might belong in a different topic, but it fits in with the same subject...

In lieu of a real multiplexer, could I use a 4-channel mic mixer and 4-identical mics?

Kelsey

Kelsey Black
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2002 08:46 AM      Profile for Kelsey Black   Email Kelsey Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like I have just found the answer to my own (second) question at this forum

of course, comments are welcome...

... at least I increased my posting count, something I don't do near as often as I should.

Kelsey

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-16-2002 09:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about weighting....just take a look at my profile on the left!
Mark @ GTS

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-16-2002 10:14 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio:
You don't need an expensive microphone to get reasonable results. You should use a small omnidirectional electret condenser midrophone - NOT a dynamic type designed for live music use. Any "vocal" mic will have poor directional and frequency response for this use.
These tiny microphones are inherently pretty good - actually quite difficult to make so that the response is not flat.You can get them at any electronics store, they are used in almost every device that has a built-in microphone like telephone answering machines, cassette recorders, etc etc etc. They are usually a tiny metal can with a wire attached at one end and a hole or bit of screen at the other.
The ones used in professional multiplexers are carefully nade, and matched for rosponse and output level - but are essentially the same.
You won't have any calibration for SPL but the actual spectrum response you see should be reasonably accurate.
There are "self pwered" versions and ones that need external DC power - the latter are generally better and the circuit to power them from a 9V battery is simple, just use a good quality blocking capacitor.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-16-2002 10:18 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the PC analyzers allow for a offset correction curve so take a drive out into the country and put the mic on a stand in a farmers field (on a calm day) and that should be a flat reading and generate an offset from there

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2002 02:09 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great!!

Thanks for the info!

Gordon,

I didn't know that in a farmers field you can have a flat response...

Bye
Antonio

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-16-2002 02:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the farmers daughter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: