Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Carbon Vs Xenon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Carbon Vs Xenon
Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 10:07 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a hypothetical question... I am too young to have delt with a carbon arc projection booth ( I havent even seen one in person) and have always run and seen movies with Xenon lamps. How comparable is the quality of light that is porjected on the screen if both are properly maintained and manned by skilled projectionists?

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-08-2002 10:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carbon is a smoother less harsh light
It measures almost the same in colour temp but is a contious spectrum unlike a discharge lamp that is very closely grouped lines approximating a continous spectrum ( almost like the way digital recreates analogue sound)

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 10:20 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hands down---carbon arc is the winner all the way!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-08-2002 10:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xenon makes carbon look like a faded yellow flickering flourescent bulb! People only like carbon because it reminds them of the old days before electricity! Carbon would cause lung cancer even if you only worked with it for two hours on one day of your life! Xenon ruulllzzzor!!!!!!

Of course I am just saying that to piss off the cabon-o-philes! I have never seen carbon in action.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 10:32 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only seen poorly run carbon shows, but I must say I love the look it gives on screen. Most recently, I saw Mulholland Drive run with carbon lamphouses, and when the projectionist wasn't losing the arc, the image looked fantastic. Of couse he was working on poorly maintained projectors from 1939! It wasn't all his fault.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 10:45 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carbon Arc is mainly what I have used and when set up correctly has a very natural look to it , it can flicker (too much air movement ,cheap carbons or poorly stored,magnet etc.) and you need to keep an eye on them if the feed mech.is wandering other wise they will crash into each other ,they can be expensive e.g the amount used compared to Xenon life (in NZ that is) and hard to get a good supply , you need to have the correct size also for the conditions.

------------------
A KIWI eats,roots & Leaves.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 10:59 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
High intensity carbon arcs are usually better for Drive Ins. For some reason Xenon always has a dull flat look when projected on a metal screen.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-08-2002 11:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Joe has definately not seen the light out of an Ashcraft Super Cinex, thats for sure, its before his time, not quite before electricity though, and quite thankfully was in my time. While I could hardly consider myself a carbon-o-phile, I can claim to having run these just for fun on several occasions for 4th of July outdoor screenings we used to do on Henry's farm west of Sycamore, IL. Steve K. will attest to the fact that its probably about the best light he's ever seen too. Really an amazing lamphouse! If you ahve not seen 70mm projected with one of these lamphouses then you've never seen 70mm's capabilities.
Mark @ GTS

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-08-2002 11:33 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, I think Ashcraft carbon lamps were the best quality arc lamps ever. Good even light, reliable, well made, easily cleaned and serviced.

The light did look better, but they were a lot of work to operate. We talked about this in an earlier topic. A multiplex could never afford the expense of using carbons today.

Another example of things that really were better years ago.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-09-2002 12:30 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fifteen years ago when I started I would say carbons were a better looking source, but today there are no decent carbons. We replace our arc lamps in October because the quality of ALL the carbons we could get was terrible, nothing but very yellow and dim from the Nationals, it was as though there was no core. Marble Double Eagles had fair light but they flickered constantly. The Nationals also burned inconsistently, sometimes you could watch a quarter to half inch of carbon disappear in a couple minutes, normal would be 5 to 8 minutes.The lamps & rectifiers are in good working condition. Last August when I inquired at National about continued availability if 8mm positives I was told they have none and didn't know when or IF there would ever be anymore. Marble's supply seems to be spotty at best. The xenons seem to produce more light and just as good light for a hell of a lot less money and without the aggravation, dust, ash, and smoke. Throw the damned carbon arcs in the dumpster where they should have been 10 years ago.

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 12:36 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still use carbons!
Ănd a friend of mine still uses carbon in his cinema!
In my case I use them in my home cinema for both 35mm and 16mm
the 16mm being a pair of GAUMONT BELL&HOWELL 609s with KALEE universal carbon lamps.
16mm at 80foot 6foot high screen. Had to have the screen water cooled, and give the patrons sun glasses.
Carbon per watt of light would be the same as xenon, carbons obtained at the right price is about the same cost as running a xenon to is usefull life.
PS
anyone got any info on the B&H GAUMONT setup I have no info at all thanks in anticapation.

------------------
KALEE FOREVER.
ALL PARTS FOR VICTOR AND KALART VICTOR 16MM PROJECTORS.SERVICE TO 35 AND 16MM PROJECTION EQUIPMENT.
35MM sprockets made to order.

Paul Harnden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 12:38 AM      Profile for Paul Harnden   Email Paul Harnden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just want to pop in and say great thread Adam.
I too have only worked with Xenon. But it's also nice to know and learn about Carbon Arcs and there pros/cons. Keep up the great work guys!!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-09-2002 12:50 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, when I was with MTS, I was told never to demonstrate a Xenon against a carbon-arc. Especially the Peerless Magnarc. The Peerless with flat out-do it.

The Ashcan that was spoken of was a very good lamp. I had Ashcans at the old Circus Drive-in, and BX-60 heads. I ran some RCA Wide-Arc's at the Skagit Drive in using 11 mm rotating positive carbons behind Super Simplex heads.

While in training with MTS, a Star-Wars movie was run in a 70mm house in Minneapolis, and the lamps were Ashcans using 13.6mm rotating positive carbon. The projectionist was a union person, and he worked his equipment to the max. The end result was one of the most perfect presentations I have ever seen, and it was done manually. The light and picture quality (along with the sound) blew me away.

Carbon Arcs rule!!!!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-09-2002 01:26 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carbons flicker? Oh, and like xenon never flickers, does it! Carbons more expensive $$/per watt a tad, but that's only until the first xenon bulb blows up and takes the mirror and half the electronics with it. You've gotta burn a LOT of carbons to make up for a blown bulb, to say nothing if someone wasn't handling it correctly while changing it. The damn things just want to explode by their very nature. The only thing can happen if you drop a box of carbons is a few might snap.

As we say in Brooklyn, not for nuthin, but it's a lot easier to go into the accountant's office and say I need $300 to buy some carbons, than it is to go in and say, I need $1400 to buy a new bulb. That's why lots of xenons are burned way past their rated life.

And as far as getting lousy light from a Peerless or especially an Ashcraft (or as Paul likes to call them, Ashcans), then something is way out of wack. Carbon light is SMOOTH....edge-to-edge and there is just something about it that the eye loves. Hey, they those carbon arc lamphouses were good enough to light some of the great classics in 70mm -- time hasn't somehow changed the technology. I use Marble carbons and they burn very evenly and with barely a touchup during a reel. If your feed is all over the place, then it's adjustment time. Only time we have trouble is when the power utility drops or kicks up voltage.

Yeah, they are more work than xenon, but that's what you're in the booth for. And remember, from the first time you strike a brand new xenon bulb, it begins to deteriorate. You can't tweak it, cept maybe rotating the bulb once in a thousand hours. Carbon arc light can be tweaked on the fly and you can adjust the lamp so as to always give perfect light. Not much you can do for a xenon when that big black soot coating darkens half your xenon bulb.

See the light....it's carbon arc.

Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 05:47 AM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked carbon.But I usually worked in change over(Reel to Reel)houses and drive-ins.Some work;changing carbons etc but all in all I think the picture is much better.Especially on a huge drive-in screen.

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: