Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Attached trailer on Big Fat Liar

Author Topic: Attached trailer on Big Fat Liar
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 03:44 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always hated attached trailers. Don't the studios realize that most theaters insert their policy between the last trailer and the feature? Well, at least there is usually several feet of black between the attached trailer and the feature. Not on BFL!! The soundtrack for the feature begins at the end of the attatched E.T. trailer.

I noticed this while building the print. I cut the E.T. trailer at the last image frame (I really hate doing that), hoping that the feature soundtrack wouldn't be too noticeable before the policy. I was wrong, as I found out when I screen it. Right now, I have the E.T. trailer ending, with the E.T.20 logo on screen, along with about half a second to a second of the soundtrack from the feature. Then the policy, then the feature right where it left off before the policy. Very tacky!!

For now, I left it the way it is, because I can't think of anything to make it better. Here are my options: Leave it; move the section of trailer that contains the feature soundtrack to the other side of the polcy (which would look horrible because then you would see the ET logo again after the policy); or simply alltogether remove that section of the trailer (but then the audience wouldn't hear Jason's dad calling out "Jason....") So tell me, What would you do?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-08-2002 04:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What would I do? Remove the attached trailer and throw it away. Hey, it was unplayable!!! Send me a loose one and I'll re-attach it.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 04:30 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you don't understand. The trailer is perfectly playable. I can cut off the end logo, no problem. (Perhaps I should have originally mentioned that this is a dumb trailer because after you see the trailer's credits, and you think it's over, then you see the Uinversal logo and the E.T. 20 logo again. In fact, at first Ithought I forgot to attach the policy, because it looked like the opening logo to a movie. I have no problem cutting that out because it's redundant.) But no matter where I cut the trailer, I am removing part of the feature's soundtrack. That is my concern.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-08-2002 04:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You asked whether you should leave the trailer as it was (playing the first part of the feature audio) or whether you should cut that section out of the trailer. I answered that question with what I would do in that situation. I certainly would not want the beginning of the Universal logo to play at the start of the theater policy, so that means you have to cut the end of the trailer off, which *destroys* the trailer, thus it is defective and must not be presented.

There is nothing you can do about the missing audio on the front of the feature. Any replacement reel will be like this due to the BONEHEADS at Deluxe Hollywood attaching the trailers in this manner.

Now for final clarification, are you aware that Universal is actually using that cheezy ET/Universal logo advertising campaign as their studio logo? You may very well have cut the film in the wrong place, although I see Deluxe Hollywood films with this defect almost every week.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 08:06 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"There is nothing you can do about the missing audio on the front of the feature. "

Not true.

Order a second trailer. Use chartpack tape to cover the offending soundtack on the one you use as a trailer. Use electrical tape to cover the image area of the second bit you use as lead in to the film. In the old days, we'd just pop the zipper by hand to cover the visual offense.

This sounds like a pretty agressive attempt to keep trailers attached to the front of a film. I can't imagine someone being so brain dead that they did this to save a few yards of print stock over the run.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 08:11 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This problem is endemic to Universal's mainstream titles. I'm surprised we Film-Techers haven't taken this up with Universal.

OTOH all of Universal's arthouse titles, including Brotherhood of the Wolf and Mulholland Drive, have a silent logo. Those pictures were to have been released by Universal Focus (an imprint now discontinued for reasons unclear).

Brad: Brotherhood of the Wolf does not have the Universal/E.T. logo.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 12:16 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy shiot! I was not aware that Universal was using the ET 20 logo as their opening logo, but that *has* to be what this is. It's like the trailer ends with the E.T. logo, then here comes the Universal/E.T. logo again (which looks just like the normal Universal logo going around the planet, except for the E.T. part at the end). So the trailer is not defective, and I just have to cut that logo and move it to the other side of the policy. Thanks, Brad! Film-Tech to the rescue again. I never would have known that if not for this site.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 12:31 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with just leaving out the policy trailer and showing the reel as-is? That's what I did when there was no place to insert it, and I never got in trouble for it. Most films have a negative splice visible which is where you should insert the policy trailer, but on Universal prints like this one if you can't do it, you can't do it.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 01:44 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The policy goes on every print and is the last trailer before the feature, without exception.

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 04:07 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my two cents. What I usually do is unattach the attached trailer, run it first and proceed with the rest of the trailer package: previews,policy,feature,sound snipe,and movie. Never had a complaint or a studio get upset.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-08-2002 05:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse, that is precisely what the studios are hoping projectionists will do by intentionally overlapping the audio! In reality, so long as the trailer is shown, they are happy. Like Keith mentioned, it can even be the first one on the roll. However most chains have a very strict rule about running their policy right before the feature. In that case, the attached trailer be damned. The studio isn't paying the projectionist, the theater is, so their rule goes.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2002 06:15 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, ideally if the policy is supposed to go before the feature, it should be spliced in. With prints like this though, you can't put anything in without cutting off the sound from the beginning of the feature, and you can't show the trailer by itself without cutting off the end of it unless you keep the soundtrack from the beginning of the film on it, so that just looks sloppy. This looks like just the kind of thing that would be impossible to explain to someone who sets "Company Policy (TM)" though since they never actually sit down and watch the shows to notice problems like that
Personally I like to treat the attached trailer as part of the movie, but if the theater runs policy trailers or whatever else in between then I will splice those in after the attached trailer. When breaking down films, I always made sure to put the attached trailer back onto reel 1 and send it out as if it were still part of the film. The last place I worked at, some people didn't pay attention to where the trailers ended and the features began, and just cut wherever they saw fit, resulting in the sound coming on prematurely, etc. If you look closely you can usually see a negative splice though; I trained all my 'new people' how to look for that, but like I said, some films are just printed so you can't put anything in between without having it look bad.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 12:15 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I moved the Universal/ET20 logo that is part of the feature to the other side of the policy, and it is now perfect. Any you can't even tell there's a splice there unless you're looking for it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: