Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35PA

Author Topic: 35PA
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2002 05:27 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I was looking on the Internet to buy some 35PA (RP40) to check our lenses.

I found "35PA 50'" at 180USD

Are 50'=50 inches?
If I'm right, 50' are 127cm...

And what is the 35AT?

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2002 05:31 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,

50 feet actually is 240 inches which equals 1534 centimeters.

I'm not sure what the 35AT is, but I'm sure someone will.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2002 06:50 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi;

My calculator comes up with a different answer, Joe. That's a 50 foot roll, which equals 600 inches, which equals (about) 1524.0 cm.

I don't know what "35AT" means, but "35PA-50" means a 50-foot roll of 35mm Projector Alignment Film made according to SMPTE's Recommended Practice (RP) 40.

Pat

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-05-2002 07:20 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, you don't need the "about". 1 inch is defined as 2.54cm

Even if you hate Metric, your inch is still defined by it

(The meter is defined from some specific wavelength of light)

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-05-2002 08:03 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio:
That's a 50 foot roll, as you probably already guessed.
The 35AT is anamorphic projector alignment film. I've never used this, the regular "RP40" 35-PA film has enough info to set up anamorphics - so I don't know exactly what it has that I've been missing.
You can buy the test films direct from www.smpte.org.

Shneider has an interesting lens test film as well http://www.schneideroptics.com/projection/cinema_projection/test_film/ - this is useless for setting up projectors and masking but it does give a very good idea of what picture problems your lens and the projection geometry are causing. Don't use this if you have old lenses, especially the shorter focal length older lenses (and can't afford new ones), it's too depressing.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2002 08:26 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Pat. I had the same figure, but couldn't type it.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else notice that the perfs in RP-40 are different than the perfs in most print stock. They have rounded sides, different from the T.V. screen shaped Kodak Standard perfs. I assume that SMPTE uses these perfs for a reason. So, my stupid question of the day is, why? And why don't other labs use them?
O.K. Two stupid questions.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-05-2002 08:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As some have stated 35-AT is the Anamorphic alignment test film. It's origins go back to the CinemaScope days when there was only 35APAL test film that did not deal with anamorphic at all. The current 35-PA target does indeed have some useful targets for adjusting anamorphic attachments.

35-AT started life being centered on the film-center rather than being offset for the optical track, the current version is offset for the optical track, the original version was on CS-1870 perfs with magnetic stripes, the current version is not (I don't remember if it is on BH-1866 perfs or KS-1870 but I think it is KS-1870). Everything on the 35AT film is geared toward setting up the anamorphic lens...all horizontal elements are compressed by 2:1 so it only looks proportional on a properly set up anamorphic system. 35AT is NOT made to the same standards as 35-PA (RP-40 in street speak) and in fact the target is not perfect, I believe if you project the frame line you will find that the lines do not line up precisely from top to the bottom of the frame.

I disagree on the Schneider test film not being of any value for setting masking and such...it can be used in lieu of the SMPTE test film though it is VERY black so it will soak up your heat energy and possibly cause it to not be reliable if it becomes deformed.

SMPTE also has 35-IQ which is equal lengths of film (100 feet) in Black and White as well as color (only on the magenta layer). The magenta film is on the top layer so focus can be established but it won't soak up the radient energy as much as the B&W version. The color version, I believe, is currently on KS-1870 perforations and is a better representation of feature film stock though the B&W version is certainly easier to see and to set shutter timing to.

Steve

(SMPTE P3 member and currently working on the RP-40 document)

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: