Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Trouble with brenkerts

Author Topic: Trouble with brenkerts
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-04-2002 09:06 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I have a nagging problem with oil on my two brenkerts. When I check the machine a day after it has been running, the intermittant sprocket is wet with oil. The picture on screen is rock solid and I dont want to switch movements. both machines do this. could it be that the bushing in the intermittant is worn out and needs to be replaced? If so, where do I have this done and how much will it cost.

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-04-2002 09:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh,
I remember this being fairly normal with most Brenkerts. A bit of seepage is not a bad thing by any means, you know the entire star shaft IS getting oil to it this way. Unless your prints are getting oil on them I'd ignore it but here are a couple of things that might cause it........

There is an oil slinger near the end of the star wheel shaft that is supposed to sling off the oil into the intermittent yoke assy and then drain back into the projector sump. There could be several problems going on here. The first is that the machine may not be level. These, as all projectors should be leveled with a machinists level. They are far more sensitive than a standard carpenters level, and a bit expensive, but VERY accurate. If say the machine is tilted a bit lower on the operators side its possible that the oil could just be running down the shaft past the slinger a bit. Sitting idle allows it to run out and collect on the sprocket.
The second thing that comes to mind is that the oil drain area that the slinger drains into could be somewhat plugged up with gunk. This would cause the whole thing to build up too much oil along the shaft and then it has to go someplace, so past the bushing it goes.

Overhauling the movement is very expensive and may not possible any more unless you can find a new starwheel and bushing assy(if Wolk still has them). In fact you could probably get a good used X-L head, as-is, for less than the price of rebuilding the movement, unless someone has them laying around and wants to unload them for cheap. Personally I'd just put a rag there at night to wick off the oil and let it be, again as long ias its not getting on the film itself.
It wouldn't be possible to install an oil seal or "O" ring as the steel Brenkert movement parts are not hardened like present day stuff is. Any type of seal would wear a groove in the shaft quite rapidly and tear up the seal.
Mark @ GTS

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2002 11:09 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is correct, the brenkert must be level, they also suffer from the same plight as the RCA soundheads, ie: After running, the oil on the slinger drips onto the shaft when idle, that is why all RCA soundheads have a little oil in the bottom of the film side cabinet! The BX starwheel actually only has a couple of grooves cut in it for the slinger, thus there is more probabilty of oil seepage when idle.
You will probably find that after running a while, the oil will diminish, (at least on the intermittent I had opened up) The oil gallies on it were plugged with old oil, and are now clean. Thus they will help prevent oil seepage too. Have fun!!

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-04-2002 11:37 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help guys

JJ

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2002 02:23 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, I don't have this problem on my BX40's. I checked
with a level per Mark's instructions. Looks like they may be very slightly biased to the gear side. (Just dumb luck) Back when I first got them running I checked to see if the oil drain was not clogged
with gunk by running some oil into screen on the top of the
movement to be sure it drained back into the sump.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-06-2002 03:35 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, check your projectors to be sure they are level as Mark, John and Jeff suggest.

The Brenkerts I gave you didn't leak from the starwheel shaft while I was running them as displays in the theater lobby.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: