Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Locking Up

Author Topic: DTS Locking Up
Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2002 06:22 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone having this problem...I installed (5) new DTS-6D units in December, (3) of the 5 is locking up when changing the DTS disk for another feature, they have to turn off the unit & back on again to work, I also was told that sometime these units will do the same at the start of the next show, that one I haven't seen yet, but I have seen the units lock up when changing the disks, I haven't a clue on this one, I can understand maybe (1) unit doing this, but not (3) new units....most projectionist & I would just reboot the unit, but this is unacceptable in Japan....any ideas on this ??? Thanks Fellows...

|  IP: Logged

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2002 06:30 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that DTS units has to be rebooted when different set of disk are used.
It is wrote on the manual.

Bye
Antonio

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-04-2002 10:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,
I've never had to re-boot the unit after changing disks. If you open and close the drawer on a CD ROM player it will cause the computer to look at the disks menus and load according to those. Keep in mind that some of the older 386 based DTS units take a long time to digest whats in the CR ROM drawers though.
Don, I'd contact Karen regarding this problem.
MArk @ GTS

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-04-2002 11:12 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I know that not all DTS players need it, I always used to tell my people to shut the unit off and turn it back on to reboot it whenever they change the disks.

It just makes it a whole lot easier to sort out problems when they do happen and it keeps everybody on the same page as far as troubleshooting. In fact, that was my first course of action... I told them to reboot the player and see if that worked before they called me.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-04-2002 12:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS has always recomended rebooting the power after changeing disks

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2002 01:18 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Don,

Whenever you change disc, you MUST cycle power on the DTS player - turn off power and count to three, then turn power back on.

If you have done this and the unit still will not play for the second show - then check that the green light on the reader is bright and steady throughout the entire show. The DTS player will do all it can to continue to play through spotty timecode and the buffer will be counting and filling up with all the edits in timecode. Once this buffer is full, the unit will not play for the second show. The only way to empty the buffer is to reboot.

The timecode light on the reader must be bright and steady. If it is blinking a lot or if you cannot get the unit to work correctly, please send me an email and let me know about it. The player should play throughout the day with no problems (or rebooting).

Thanks, Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2002 02:25 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen wrote:
Once this buffer is full, the unit will not play for the second show. The only way to empty the buffer is to reboot.
---

Thanks karen, I didn't know!

Why all edits has to be put in a buffer??

Mark,

I believe that you must reboot the unit because the other set of disk could not have the same DTS.EXE version on the disks, causing the unit to hang. Karen, this make sense?

Bye
Antonio

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-04-2002 03:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that either but I'll remember that form now on. I can't recall ever re-booting between running my set-up disk and then dropping in a given films disks. It always works fine every time for me. After doing an upgrade to a DTS it seems to find and start faster than it did before as well.
Mark @ GTS

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-04-2002 04:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that either. But I never had a problem without re-booting.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-04-2002 04:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this was just coincidence, but I've seen where pushing the drawer in when loading up new discs would not reset the unit, but using the button to retract the tray did reset.

It doesn't make much sense to me, but I thought it odd since the pattern repeated itself in this complex. These were Toshiba drives. Still, I ALWAYS reboot the machine when changing discs.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2002 06:12 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys & Karen for the help, I did call Karen & she told me a few things to also check, I will let everyone know if this works...I did not know about the reboot each time a new disk in inserted....I guess when all else fails..."READ THE MANUAL"....

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2002 06:55 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,

You asked about why there is a buffer circuit counting the edits.

This has to do with troubleshooting. It is in there so you can see how many edits are being counted. SO, every time you see a flash on the green light of the reader, it is being counted and stored. If you are getting a high edit count, there is a system problem. The system "knows" this so it will shut itself down the next show.

You can see the edit count in the STATUS screen on the DTS-6AD, but in the DTS-6 & DTS-6D, you have to use a monitor.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Karen at DTS

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-05-2002 01:26 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool! So, you are saying that every time you splice a film the system remembers it? If so, that would mean that if you move a print from one machine to the next, even if the same title was playing you need to reboot to clear the "edit history"?

In the words of Johnny Carson, "I did not know that!"

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2002 03:32 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen,

So in an hipotetical situation, a DTS player cannot plays movie without interruption for days and days since normal reel splices will fill the buffer...
How many edits will cause the buffer to fill?
Bye
Antonio

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2002 04:52 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,

I dn not know the exact number, but it is around one thousand.

Yes, it will read every splice or jump in timecode. It will store it and remember until the unit is rebooted - which heppends at least once a day when the sound rack is powered for the first show of the day.

Karen at DTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: