Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projectionistless Projector

Author Topic: Projectionistless Projector
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-01-2002 01:34 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ad from a trade magazine?

|  IP: Logged

William Hardie
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2002 02:37 AM      Profile for William Hardie   Email William Hardie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please see later post in this thread

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2002 12:16 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a reaction from a retired projectionist in Pennsylvania:

Dear Mr Cohen
I certainly hope the poster was a gag. To tell you the
truth in the industry as it stands now I don't know
if such a thing IS a gag anymore. I can tell you this.
If there was such a contraption they wanted to sell
it on the merits of the fact that it had an
"automatic framer" they wouldn't sell a single one.
Running a whole show with the film out of frame or
out of focus with their current equipment does not
bother a lot of exhibitors now.
More later
Paul

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-01-2002 01:58 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, while this so called ad may be a gag, it is possible to automate threading and framing. You don't even have to thread it up once as this ad would state. It wouldn't take much to design it, and a laser guided framing system would look for the frame lines and always keep it in frame, even if you had a bad splice. The framing time would be within a few frames so no one would ever notice.

With todays projectionist having so little training as most owners dont truly care about it, it is a good idea. Hell you can use an imaging system to keep it in focus as well. All it would have to do is scan each fram as it goes through and match what is projected on screen. Todays technology is rather amazing.

Who cares anyway, it's all DVD in five years anyhow.

Dave

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-02-2002 01:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard, Most "retired projectionists" don't have a clue as to what going on today, at least if they ave been retired for any length of time.
Is is certainly possible to automate all of this. No problem.
Mark @ GTS

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2002 01:42 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark!

I actually had an old time IATSE projectionist who is still working ask me if Simplex was still in business...he thought they were defunct!

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 02-02-2002 02:13 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always hoping that robots would eventually take over my job or a really really smart monkey named George.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-03-2002 01:25 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Williams wrote:
>The framing time would be within a few frames so no one would
>ever notice.

Actually with an electronic drive projector it can be done instantaneously (assuming you've figured out that it's out of frame). You simply command the stepper to advance 2, 3, 5, or whatever number of perfs instead of 4 as part of its normal pulldown.

William Hardie
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2002 03:43 AM      Profile for William Hardie   Email William Hardie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been asked to remove my post, and after it was explained to me why it made sense.

Anyhow it is late. I just worked a second 13.5 hour day, and I am tired.

I have a question about my Vic VIII's and an oil return problem which I will post then it is off to sleep.

Cheers,

Bill

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: