Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Disposable Split Reels? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Disposable Split Reels?
Rob Oakley
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 12:09 PM      Profile for Rob Oakley   Email Rob Oakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you had trouble with these cheap split reels that companys ship prints out on? We got a print of Not Another Teen Movie - and it was on these. One of them was broke - I had a wonderful time with just the core on the make up table - and they looked like they were made of the same plastic that plastic forks and spoons were made of. Anyone else have this problem?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 02:47 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am guessing your print came from Technicolor. Am I right? Most of us have horror stories with those reels. You should do some searching, search Technicolor or TES or broken reels. One of our film-techers had a horrible fight with one of those reels, and she put the pictures on the site to prove it.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 01-30-2002 03:10 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did anyone else notice that the new ones dont have shaft keys? Changeover houses are screwed.

Josh

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 04:57 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is a Technicolor print. Not Another Teen Movie came out via Sony.

Rachel almost lost an eye because one of those Technicolor reels broke apart on her. Search the Film Handler's Forum for the thread that begins "Thank you Technicolor".

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 05:02 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy, I can't wait to get my hands on some of those keyless reels. I run changeover here, and if I do get some of those reels, I will enjoy having another excuse to call TES and complain, loudly!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 06:16 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to see a reel without a keyway on it. But I've sure heard you guys complain a lot about them!

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 01-30-2002 07:22 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a few to deal with when we got Pulp Fiction 2 weeks ago. one of the reels came tails out, but luckily it wasnt one of the four keyless ones in the 3 can shipment.

Could have sworn the last print we ran of Pulp was acetate and digital, this one was on mylar and SR only. really good print though.

Josh

Bob Healey
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 11:57 PM      Profile for Bob Healey   Email Bob Healey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't run a movie straight of a TES reel, even if i trusted them to hold up - they just won't fit on the spindle. I've seen one keyless reel so far - on Shrek. Getting the film off was not a problem. Getting it back on was another story entirely. As for Pulp Fiction, I remember running it on acetate last year. Don't remeber if there was a digital track - I can't play them, so I don't look for them.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 01-31-2002 03:51 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I love these flimzy piece of crap reels, they should keep making them worse and worse as they have been doing for years....(Technicolor doesn't seem to listen to suggestion, they seem to do the opposite, so maybe if we say they're doing good they will change...just maybe).

Sorry Technicolor, your just not chipper quality!

------------------
"I'd like mornings better if they started later." -Garfield the Cat & Jim Davis

Brad, you're pretty darn Chipper yourself!!!

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 01-31-2002 10:24 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey now, what did we say about using that word?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-31-2002 12:45 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh,
You are lucky getting all SR reels; when I ran PULP it some new TES concept -- their combo print --- half the reels Dolby A, the others SR.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2002 09:01 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi;

Does anyone have one of these things they can send me? I don't know if it's something we can make but I'd like a look.

Let me know...

Pat

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-01-2002 12:04 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working for Strong, you've never seen a plastic split reel??? LUCKY!

Robert Golding
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2002 02:22 AM      Profile for Robert Golding   Email Robert Golding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree these plastic reels are a real piece of s__t. I have received quite a few that haven't got the pin slot punched out. I must say that they all have them, you just have to punch them out. Once that is done every thing works till they start breaking apart, etc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: