Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » THX question

Author Topic: THX question
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-30-2002 01:19 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In THX's packet which they sent me when I requested their specs for cinema sound systems, they have a ton of specifications for everything from noise from air conditioning ducts to adjacent theatre bleed-through, but nowhere can I find a specification as to the sound pressure level a system needs to produce in order to qualify for THX certification. Are they just assuming the Dolby standard? Seems the SPL attainable before clipping and available headroom would be essential specifications to any sound system design. They are doing a redesign of our theatre and I would like to tell the design engineers that we want them to meet or exceed THX specs if at all possible. Can't do that if THX doesn't publish specs for SPL.

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-30-2002 08:54 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some THX spec's relay on other spec's (like Dolby).
It's like saying "Our spec is that you install the equipment according to the manufacturers instructions, or to SMPTE standards.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-30-2002 09:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SPL spec is dependent on what you install
If it was to say be a optical only facility it is different to what would a digital or a mag facility

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 09:18 PM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The THX spec is SMPTE's spec per room volume/size and usage of analog digital etc etc....It is not a secret. Essentially the THX design will be capable of handling anything per yor apecified purpose so no need to worry about exceding as their Criteria<SMPTE's> is quite adequate. Good luck with your project and dont worry to much about the details as THX will not let you down in that department!

Rory

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-31-2002 01:01 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys; that's what I assumed; I just thought it was odd that THX didn't include SPL and frequency response specs given how detailed all the other specs were that they included in their packet.

Unfortunately, all the monies that were earmarked for the renovation project have been put on hold because of the huge budgetary changes caused in NYC by 9/11. I think it will eventually get put back on the table, but later rather than sooner.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: