Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Greetings from Spain and a legal question.

Author Topic: Greetings from Spain and a legal question.
Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2002 09:42 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody. First of all I´ve got to apologize for my english (I do my best but well...you´ll see).
In my 1st post I´d like to know if in other countries, for being a projectionist you have to pass an exam in order to get a kind of license. Here in Spain it was that way but now there´s no need although there isn´t any law or whatever that cancel the license, simply there aren´t new exams since 4 years ago. Actually, I haven´t got that license.
Thanks and greetings from Valencia, Spain.

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-26-2002 10:07 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hola Miguel,
due to the growth of global multiplex companies such as UCI / Warners and others the license barriers are slowly disappearing but as a cinema equipment supplier we are finding we must give much more training..... in the past that was part of a license, union or guild requirements.
Valencia is a great city....with the bullfighting ring next to the train station....so what equipment is in your Cinema? Proyecson, Cinemeccanica, Ernemann, Wassman?
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-26-2002 10:11 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on local laws. A few states require licenses. Some cities require them. Many places have license laws but don't enforce them. Other places don't have any laws.

The state of Pennsylvania, where I live, does require a license. You have to apply for an "Apprentice License" and receive 100 hours of training from a licensed projectionist. (Cost $15 US) During that time you are only allowed to operate projectors if there is another fully licensed person on duty.

Then you have to take an exam, which is absurdly simple. Here is an ACTUAL question from the exam I took:

Q - Name TWO types of film transport.

A - Elevator & Dumb-Waiter.
B - UPS & Federal Express.
C - Small Car & Large Truck.
D - Platter & Reel-to-Reel.

If you miss that question I will personally come to wherever you are and bodily throw you out of the booth!

There are 25 multiple-guess questions. You have to score 80% or better. You pay a $10 exam fee and another $10 license fee. You have to supply a mug shot type picture of yourself to put on your license. (My Film-Tech picture is my license mug shot. ) When you pass the test you receive your license in the mail. If you don't pass you can retake the test after 30 days. (And another $10 exam fee!)

Everybody who works in a booth must have their license/apprentice card with them and must be able to produce it on demand. (The inspector ACTUALLY DOES make at least one surprise visit to each theatre every 6 months to a year!) Photo copies of licenses must also be posted in a conspicuous place in each booth.

I have an 8X10 glossy of Alfredo in a frame. I keep the copy in there and hang it on the wall in my booth. (To this day nobody has ever figured out the significance.)

Licenses must be renewed each year. (Another $10 and another mug shot.) Last year I didn't renew mine because I was living out of state. This year I just sent the application in and wrote in the serial number of my past license. I got my new license without any questions.

I actually LIKE the idea of licensing projectionists. What peeves me off is the fact that, in many places, they are loosely enforced if at all. If a state/locality is going to have a license law they ought to strictly enforce it. Otherwise they ought to drop the whole thing. I guess the only reason why Pennsylvania keeps doing it is because of all the money they make from it.

Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2002 10:46 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hola Richard!!!!
I must think that you have been here in Valencia. It was on March during the Fallas?. If not, come back. You will enjoy a lot.
I work in several cinemas (since one screen only till 11 screens complexes)of the same owner. The usual equipmet is Cinemecanicca´s Victoria 5 projectors with platter system Cinemeccanicca too but there are Victoria 8 projectors with more years than me (26), Kinoton FP20 (I´m not sure about the model) with Strong platters system, an unknow projector for me called FH (35/70 magnetic/optic reader). In my actual booth,a multicinema with 8 screens, we have Victoria 5 and 8 and a system that we call Rock&Roll Cinemecanicca too (two projectors for one screen with automatic changeover and rewind controlled by Cinemecc...Vector 2000). But the system I mostly hate and give us headaches every day is the Cinemeccanica loop without end (is that the english name?)platter but due of the amount of films per screen and time we are obligated to work with them.
Do you work with Proyecson?.
Adios y saludos.

------------------

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-27-2002 06:47 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel,
the FH projector is a German machine that is no longer made. I was in Valencia in August.....my mother's family is from the region. We have a good working relationship with Proyecson ( Francisco and his father "Paco" ) and one of my former technician works for them. All endless loop platters are beasts and I know the Spanish cinema owners prefer "total" automation of projection booths
which sometimes is greater work when something goes wrong. One cinema I went to in Valencia that Wassmann installed has the projectionist in the lobby "watching" video monitors of all the cinemas....the projectionist is on "display" behind a glass wall and the cinemas are on several floors reached by hi-speed elevators and I spent the evening at the open air cinema in the park that has the Proyecson Compacto projector with the large reel transport. Cinemas was a small part....the museum in the former Doctor's house and the night clubs and restuarants walking distance from city center + the evening of bullfights....and a new generation of relatives.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc www.tvpmiami.com

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 08:26 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that in Massachusetts (up until 2000 at least, though I doubt it has been changed) also has a "projectionist license" to get it you must have a currently licensed projectionist "sponsor" you (i.e. write their name and license number on your application) and then take their "absurdly simple" (thanks Randy ) multiple guess test. 50 questions, you need 80% to pass. $50 fee to take the test and $50 to renew every year (no test to renew, just a check) The license is just a slip of paper with you name, address, license number (often handwritten) and state seal. Nothing fancy or high tech like a photo.
The state also requires that all booths be "inspected" by the state inspector prior to opening the theater. Most of the laws that are still on the books in Mass with regards to projection booths deal with things like the size of silicon rectifiers (and how high off of the floor that they are) how the carbon fumes are vented, and the size of the containers of flamable liquids allowed in the booth.

Here's an exerpt from the Mass. General Law chapter 143 section 75:
Section 75.
" No person shall operate such apparatus in any public building until he has received a license so to do from an inspector. No such license shall be granted until the applicant has passed an examination proving him to be thoroughly skilled in the working of the mechanical and electrical apparatus or devices used therein or connected therewith, nor unless he has submitted evidence as to his responsibility in regard to the safety of the public, and no person under eighteen shall be eligible for such examination. A fee shall accompany the application for a license. Licenses shall be valid throughout the commonwealth but shall not be assignable or transferable. A license shall continue in force until the date of birth of the licensee occurring more than twelve months but not more than twenty-four months after the date of such license unless suspended or revoked for incompetence or untrustworthiness of the licensee. "

"unless suspended or revoked for incompetence or untrustworthiness of the licensee" Up until about a decade ago the Office of public saftly and the state police were one and the same. But now they have gone their seperate ways. If you call the office of public safetly to report an unlisenced booth or an incopetent operator they will tell you that enforcement is the responsibility of the State Police. If you call the State Police they will first laugh at you and then tell you to call the office of public safety.

If you would like to read the State of Massachusetts law regarding "CINEMATOGRAPHS" go Here
and scroll down to section 72-100 (at the very bottom of the page)
(The only reason I know this is that I used to work in Massachusetts and Maine a lot. Maine does not have much current law regarding Projection booths (outside of fire regulations) but Massachusetts does.)
Jonathan

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 10:24 AM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hola Miguel, saludos desde Venezuela (como verás mi inglés no es bueno) I'm happy to see people from Spain. In my country the old school gives those licenses but I don't belong to the old school, I just pass a test about electricity and how to use a fire extintor. The old school works 4 hours per day and my school work 8 hours. I was studying engineering and pass the exam was easy for me but there are many projectionist that ignore what's volt or ampere and i would like to change that here (I've taken a lot of tips from film-tech and I'm writing a big guide for new projectionist). I hope it works fine.
Que gusto me da al encontrar gente que hable mi idioma.

Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me alegro de no ser el único que hable español.
I´ve been in your web page (yo´re right 100% about "la vieja escuela") but there´s one thing that call my atention. In one picture of ¿El recreo? cinemas I don´t remenber well I can see a projectionist moving the entire film out of the platter. I thought it was invention of one of my friends but now I see that we are not the ones who used this kind of transport for the film.
We work with Cinemeccanica CNR-35 platters and they rewind the film very tight so although at first look it seems too dangerous to remove the entire film of the platter and carry it as it was inside of a large reel (vertical position)it makes our work much easier and we never had any problem. If the film is not very tight, between the two projectionist, we keep the horizontal position but move the film without the platter or large reels.
Is this a usual practice?.
Un saludo.

------------------

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 05:30 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel, We work with Christie AW3 platters (removable brain) and the center ring has a lock that doesn't allow the film collapse into itselves, it's easy to transport films to other platter. We have few clamps (son unos ganchos que sostienen la película para que no se salga de sí misma; you can see it in tips section). Also in the picture i didn't use the clamps 'cause that film I was moving from the bottom to the top of platter (I'm used to use the clamps 'cause I've seen pictures fall on the floor--chaotic situation). El Recreo is the theater where I've worked long time but now I'm working in a little fourplex called Cinex La Lagunita out of my city. Saludos.

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 09:08 PM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<quote>I know that in Massachusetts (up until 2000 at least, though I doubt it has been changed) also has a "projectionist license"</quote>
It has not changed. I was just licensed in August 2001.

<quote> and then take their "absurdly simple" (thanks Randy) multiple guess test. 50 questions, you need 80% to pass.</quote>
It is actually a true/false test, some of which can be answered either way. But anybody who can read will pass easily.

------------------
Tao Yue
MIT '04: Course VI-2, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Projectionist, MIT Lecture Series Committee

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 01-27-2002 11:58 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True True, I passed!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: