Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Guard Application Tips

Author Topic: Film Guard Application Tips
Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2002 01:47 AM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently was going through our storage room in the booth and stumbled across a bottle of Film Guard. Apparently the booth manager before me tried and stopped using it because the print would become to greasy and slick. However this is second hand info, so im deducing that to much was applied and they over saturated the print and decided that the stuff didnt work and gave up on it.

I have read the info on Film Guard and want to run it on one of my houses and see what it does. Brad you mention putting the tip up to the media and soaking it. How many squirts are usually needed ? If you have any other tips on applying it so i dont over saturate the pads and print would be great.

I would also like to order the Film Tech media pads and was wondering what the part number is and if putting it on the REA that UA uses will work ?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-26-2002 02:07 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saturate the pads as much as they can take. What your previous booth manager probably did was to fail to read the instructions and thought he was supposed to re-soak the pads between every show. So many people are too lazy to read the included instruction sheet this actually has happened a number of times, and yes that will make the print unbelieveably slick re-applying it over and over each show like that. (Once a week is ideal.) If you don't see that double sided instruction sheet with the bottle, email me and I'll send you one. It is very detailed.

UA purchases their booth supplies through NCS. I'm not sure what NCS ships out as "default" for UA media, so you might want to call NCS and inquire. 513-242-6801

Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2002 02:30 AM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That booklet would be great. Im gonna use this bottle and see how everything works out. I have three cleaners and found two more that need refurbishing. Any thoughts on a schedule for 10 screens with five cleaners ?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-26-2002 02:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have emailed you the instructions.

5 cleaners and 10 screens. You've got it pretty good.

- - - - - - - - - -

Load new media and saturate pads with FilmGuard
Run cleaner, rewinding media after every show but NOT resoaking) all Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon...your 5 newest movies

Load new media and saturate pads (or resoak the existing pads IF they are not too dirty)
Run cleaner, rewinding media after every show (but NOT resoaking) all Tue/Wed/Thu...your 5 oldest movies

Now on Monday when you get your bookings and find out which prints you will be dropping that week, don't bother running the cleaner again on those and instead opt to keep the cleaner on for the full 7 days for your newest movies. That will give you the best coating to protect the film from any damage. On those prints there is no need to resoak the pads on Monday. Let them run for the full 7 day cycle with only the initial application of FilmGuard.

Also, *some* media pads are long enough to permit cutting them in half, which in essence doubles the amount of rolls you will have in stock. The current Film-Tech pads if cut in half will run for about 3 hours. If the pads are cut into thirds, each third will run for approximately 2 1/4 hours. Note: the make of platter and vintage of cleaner will vary the exact running time. I cannot speak for other manufacturers of media, so if you have other brands you may want to test that out to help save money.

Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2002 03:17 AM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help. I will update you on the results.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-26-2002 05:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn, I just installed a Kelmar cleaner system in a customers theatre in Colorado this week. Even the owners wife immediately noticed the results of using Film Guard!!
Mark @ GTS

Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2002 11:15 PM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy ba jesus batman this stuff is unreal. Truly amazing at how much dirt was removed. I have now been running it for two day's on every show in two auditoriums and will soon be expanding to every house. It was amazing to see how clean the commercials became with just one pass.

Im currently using media with the cardboard cores and noticing what a pain that is. Is there a key that comes with the Film Tech media cleaner to rewind the media, or do we just flip it over ?

Thanks for a wondrful product Brad im sold on it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-29-2002 11:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Those little black plastic cores that came with the FilmGuard kit (there should've been 3 in there) are used.

First, wind the new media over to 2 of the plastic cores.
Second, use the third plasic core to "rewind" between shows.

Check out the "tips" section on "threading 101" for pictures on how to rewind the media.

Also, there are basically 4 manufacturers of media for your cleaner. Kelmar, Big Sky, Neumade and Film-Tech. The first 3 come on cardboard cores. Ours come pre-wound onto the plastic cores to save you the hassle.

Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2002 11:46 PM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasnt a kit it was just a bottle i found on a shleve in the back of the storage room. Therefore i dont have the kit yet. I'll check out the threading instructions though. I ordered another bottle from NCS but im using the order form that we use so im not sure if they will send it.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 03:04 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have problems with oversaturating the pads and getting streaks like terrible (this was with the Kelmar pads).
When I tried the Film-Tech pads, I used the same amount that I had been using with the Kelmar pads and I noticed the streaks werent nearly as bad.
Then I realized you could use the rewinder to tighten the pads even tighter after they have been soaked to "ring out" the excess.
This also helps to cover areas of the pads that you might have missed while srpaying them.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 11:11 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For hand application of FilmGuard on short lengths of film I have found that a strong paper cloth known in the UK as J-CLOTH (made in Holland), measuring 12” x 7” holds and applies the FilmGuard liquid extremely well.

< please place pictures here>

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: