Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP650 wiring goof

Author Topic: CP650 wiring goof
Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2002 11:59 PM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a call from a tech who was trying to connect a DA20 to a CP650SR and was having trouble making it work. Seems Dolby have screwed up with the pinouts in the 650's 25way automation connector. Reference to page B-7 of the 650 manual shows format 10 (Digital select) on pin 4 instead of pin 5. Woops!

This reminded me of the CP45 error where they had a diagram in the CP45 manual showing Non-sync select on pin 8 of a DA20 instead of pin 7. They had to bring out a little board to correct that one. I guess we will see a little board now for the 650.

Now I don't want to point the finger at the people who invented sound, (oh, sorry, that was Tom Homlinson wasn't it, it was Dolby who patented it ), but this is a bit sloppy fellas!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-21-2002 08:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray,

The CP-650's format 10 is indeed selected by pin-4 on the automation connnector...there is no mistake.

Since the technician is trying to use a DA-20, they want pin-5 for "External Digital Input", not "format-10" persay.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2002 08:56 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question is why was he trying to do this? I'd have thought he could have sold the DA20 and put the cash to buying the board to upgrade that CP650 to SR.D

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2002 09:03 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Pete. The upgrade board isn't that expensive. Is there a reason for using the DA20 rather than upgrading the CP650 itself? I have heard that the DA-20s are far inferior to using the board in the 650, but I don't know much about the DA-20s. I am very curious about why someone would want to do this. (Unless they already had the DA-20 and didn't want to spend any extra cash. Shortages of funds are something I definitely understand.)

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-21-2002 01:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect there is a mixture of digital formats in the booth and DTS and or DA-20s are in roll around racks.

If it is merely to play Dolby Digital, then yes the CP-650 digital board is substantially less expensive than a DA-20.

Steve

------------------

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2002 02:16 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Steve, I hadn't considered that one. Roll around racks for DTS/DA20 etc are not at all popular here for some reason.

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2002 05:36 PM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys I didn't take the call personally and was given the wrong story. The problem was the tech was replacing a CP65 with a CP650D and couldn't get the CP650 to select digital from our automation using parallel control. The reason is that, as I said, the Digital select pins are different between the CP65 (pin 5) and CP650 (pin 4). The tech had read the CP650 manual which states that the CP650 automation connector is compatible with the CP65, so he simply left the connector wired as it was for the CP65. We solved his problem by getting him to use the serial control interface.

Does this mean I have to take back my little poke at Dolby?

------------------
Ray Derrick
President/Chief Engineer
Panalogic Corporation Sydney, Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 9894 6655 Fax: 61 (0)2 9894 6935

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-21-2002 08:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, you sure do!

After all, the CP-65 expects a DA-20 so if one is going to swap out a CP-65 for a CP-650SR, then one would want the pin-5 to be external 6-ch input so that the wiring would remain the same! Only if the CP-65 AND the DA-20 were to leave in favor of a CP-650D would it be an issue. That would be the responsibility of the installing technician to reconfigure the automation to select the correct format.

Steve

------------------

Philippe Laude
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2002 12:56 AM      Profile for Philippe Laude   Email Philippe Laude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Pete, the guy should have sold the DA 20 to me, I'm looking for one!

Philippe

------------------

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2002 01:10 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Steve, I take it back - they aren't "sloppy" but in my book "compatible" is usually taken to mean "the same as", which in this case it is NOT. I would prefer they used words like "similar to the CP65" rather than "compatible with".

Besides, it seems a little strange having a processor that has a button marked "Format 10 Dolby Digital" which when a DA20 is connected doesn't work because the Format 11 button now controls Format 10. Very messy. It would have made more sense to make the Format 10 button optionally select the external input for applications using a DA20. That way there would never have been any wiring issues in the first place. On second thoughts I don't take it back... it IS sloppy. Ah never mind

------------------
Ray Derrick
President/Chief Engineer

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-22-2002 01:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For those familiar with the CP500, using format 11 really isn't anything new for an external DA20. Want a really good example of an *oops*? The Sony DFP-3000 has two inputs "AUX 1" and "AUX 2" designed primarily to input a DA20 and a DTS-6 player into it...yet the pin configuration is to THX standards, not to Dolby/DTS standards. To use it in the primary way intended, you have to make your own custom cables! What a major pain. Sony really should offer a Dolby/DTS DB25 cable to a Sony/THX DB25 cable. (Or do they already have this and I am unaware of it?)

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-22-2002 06:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah Ray, I'm not letting you off the hook that easily!

The claim is that the CP-650 is compatible with the CP-65. That is, if you merely remove the CP-65 and replace it with a CP-650, the automation plug will still function as before.

The format 10/11 thing is only whether it is an internal or external on the CP-650 (or CP-500, as Brad points out). When used with a DA-20 it is an external format and is "format 11".

At best, your claim could be that format 11 should have been "internal Dolby Digital" and should have been created when the CP-500 came out...thus format 10 would always denote external digital (Dolby or otherwise)and be a "backward compatable" number.

But lets get right down to it...the format numbers really only ment something to mighty CP-200 where the numbers were actually used to select the formats.

One of my minor complaints with the CP-650 is that the buttons have the 01, 04, 05, 10, 11, U1, U2, NS designations. These mean nothing to the casual user. This is more of an issue in the special venue houses where the operators don't think of the sound formats in terms of numbers, they want it written out without needing a "secret decoder ring."

But back to the topic...on this issue I'll stand with sloppy technician, not sloppy Dolby.

Steve

------------------

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2002 05:14 PM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve said "The claim is that the CP-650 is compatible with the CP-65. That is, if you merely remove the CP-65 and replace it with a CP-650, the automation plug will still function as before."

Ah Steve, but this is the problem, it won't still function as before, and this was my whole point! The automation no longer selects Format 10 - it now selects Format 11. So pull out a CP65/DA20 combo and replace it with a CP650-D (as occurred in this case, maybe I didn't make this clear in my second post) and you have to swap over pins 4 and 5 of the automation cable. At least with the CP500 you could easily correct this problem by re-assigning the formats between SK4 and 5.

Frankly, why Dolby have retained the format number thing is a mystery to many of us, because as you say, it only means anything in relation to the CP200. But if they are going to retain something, they should be consistent. Dolby SR is Format 05 regardless of whether it is from internally installed SR cards or from an external SRA5, so why "break the rules" and make Dolby Digital different, depending on whether it is internal or external. Format 11 should really be called "Digital 2" or "6-track 2" or "External" or whatever, and should refer to non-Dolby digital (or some other 6 track source). It would make life less confusing for everybody!

The whole point of my orignal post was to bring this little pin-out discrepancy to the attention of others (of course I couldn't resist the opportunity to have a little dig at Dolby in the process). In retrospect the post was poorly named and should have read something like "CP650 wiring discrepancy" rather than "goof" however at the time it appeared to be an error. I concede that rather than an error it comes down to a matter of judgment, and one that I do not agree with.

Now that is as close to a retraction as you are going to get, young Steve.

------------------
Ray Derrick
President/Chief Engineer

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-22-2002 11:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah but Ray....I claim that you went too far...you swapped out both the CP-65 AND the DA-20...had you only swapped out the CP-65 all would have been well and the formats would have been selected correctly.

For necessity, that is how it needs to be and how it should be (so as to allow DA-20s and SA-10s and such) to be backwards compatable. If I were the designer of that aspect of the unit, I would have done the same thing.

However, if I were designing a cinema processor, I would have probably taken the format number thing a bit further since I thought it was a wonderful idea. I would have the automation select the format strictly by format number rather than by button or softkey.

If it were doable (and my research shows it isn't) I would have the U1, U2 and NS keys reformatable by merely changing some BDC thumbwheels (ala CP-200) to select what funtion they perform. As such, this won't be one of my improvement systems. The CP-650 just doesn't have enough buttons, period and what buttons one has are barely reconfigurable (and only three of them at that).

I think your issue with the CP-650 automation connector is a difference of approach between your methods and theirs rather than right or wrong. Now, do you want to explain to me again why the Panastereo CSP-1200 automation connector for DTS (and labeled as such) is the opposite gender of what the standard DTS cables would need? That is, it is female and standard DTS automation connectors are male (opposite gender of the audio).

Steve

------------------

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2002 07:20 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For others who may be bored enough to still be following this tedeous thread, I apologise that this has turned into the "Steve and Ray Show". And in order not to further your agony, this will be my last post on this topic...

Steve, Steve, Steve, (expecting a "Ray, Ray, Ray" reply) I am sure you know by now that I have great respect for your knowlege and ability, but we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

As for the DTS automation input on the 1200, it is indeed reverse sex (and I am not going into the long-winded story as to why) but at least it is PIN-COMPATIBLE with the DTS-6D players. Plug in a two dollar sex changer, or use an off-the-shelf male-to-male cable and away you go, no re-soldering required. If DTS had stuck with convention and used the correct sex in the first place (or if they bothered to supply a CSP1200 kit)... yadi, yadi, yadi.

Now that's it, I'm outta here!!!

Old audio guys never die.. they just get bored more easily!!

------------------
Ray Derrick
President/Chief Engineer

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: