Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Scratched DTS disks!

Author Topic: Scratched DTS disks!
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-19-2002 12:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When DTS first came out, the disks came in those little caddies. I don't remember ever having a problem with a scratched disk in those days.

Then they switched to the thicker plastic cases for the disks, along with using CD-ROM drives that don't use the caddies . At that point I started receiving disks that were scuffed and fingerprinted from being handled.

Now they've switched to those skinny plastic cases. Those cases contact the playing surface of the disk directly, instead of suspending the disk in midair the way thicker cases do. Also I've started getting prints in which the disks are not in the round carrier; they're just tossed in with the print. Once, I got a print with the disks packaged in plain old paper sleeves and tossed in the bottom of the can under the reels! I'm amazed they weren't broken!

The result of all this improvement: Since October, we have received 3 sets of disks that had to be replaced due to scratches. Usually these scratches are concentric or 'scuff' type marks, which make the player cut in and out, so I have to turn off the DTS until we get new disks. This is compounded by the fact that the print arrives Thursday, so we can't call in for replacements until Thursday nite, therefore the replacement disks don't arrive until Monday. So the biggest crowds don't get to see the movie in DTS.

It seems like this only happens with the most popular movies, too. Most recently for us: Lord of the Rings. The one previous: Harry Potter.

I can see getting rid of the caddies, but I wish DTS would at least consider going back to the thicker plastic cases, and INSIST that all disks be shipped in the round carriers.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-19-2002 03:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this happen a lot ever since the switch to the thick plastic cd cases to the super thin plastic cd cases. Calling dts or the booker is fine and dandy, but it takes too long to get a new set of discs. Most everyone I know has resorted to just leaving them out of it and borrowing another theater's copy and burning their own set. Many are uploading the files via DSL line to an FTP server so another can pull it down and burn a set of discs in time for their first day's show. This has been happening a couple of times each month. We really need those good cases they use to package the discs in.

I've also been getting a lot of broken trailer discs lately. They are being shipped in those paper sleeves that offer no protection. Damaged discs have really become a problem since whoever it was at the studios decided to start being cheap about the packaging. I guess it never occured to them that these discs are somewhat fragile and cannot be scratched or they are useless.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way the present packaging will change is if we get a lot of complaints. So far, we have not.

Karen at DTS

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-23-2002 01:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh oh, was that a hint? Let's see...how many people post here?

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2002 02:51 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about using that crank-type CD cleaner? I have tested it with scuffed data CD ROM discs and it really works well in reducing errors on reads. http://store.yahoo.com/advantage123/skipdoctor.html

Danny Hart
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2002 05:40 PM      Profile for Danny Hart   Email Danny Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Sorry to post this again, but it might be better use here!)

Our films are delivered in badly designed, awkward, bulky green boxes, and the DTS disks are sometimes just thrown in amongst the reels, in a standard double-CD jewel case. Needless to say, the disks are in pieces by the time they get here, with the remains of the jewel case (in powder form) at the bottom of the box.
Not too much of a problem as we are equipped with Dolby SRD and DTS, so we just put the remains in a bag, along with a note, when it's sent back.

Obviously when the disks are packaged properly (in their own reel-can, supported by a plastic fit-in frame) they are in perfect condition.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2002 06:58 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you all are getting a lot of damaged discs, PLEASE let me know. In order for me to get management to change the present packaging, I need documented proof from you = the customer. So, in order for me to make a strong case for changing the packaging, I need you to help me by posting or sending me an email.

Thanks, Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: