Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What ist that projector?

Author Topic: What ist that projector?
Philippe Laude
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2002 03:18 AM      Profile for Philippe Laude   Email Philippe Laude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody, could someone tell me the make and model of this projector?

Many thanks.

Phil

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-18-2002 07:06 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a Motiograph AA projector head on a model 7500 sound head on a heavy duty 650(lbs) Motiograph Base. Many are still running here in the states.
Mark @ GTS

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2002 09:53 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So that's what a Motiograph looks like!! We don't see those here, and I don't think we ever did.

The mech looks similar to the Century, is it a 'two shaft' design?

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2002 12:38 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Motiograph Model K base{pedestal] Projector head Motiograph AA. Reproducer Motiograph 7500. Lamphouse, I`m not sure, Motiograph made a lamp for a short time designed by Ted Hall[Hall& Connelly] and called it a Motiograph-Hall.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-18-2002 01:58 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks so solid you could drive a tank into it and the projector would win!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-18-2002 04:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were an excellent projector that had a very large barrel (drum) shutter. They provide a rock stable image and very gentle on film
The predecessor the model K and before also had a drum shutter but it was on a telescoping coupling that hinged upward with the back of teh gate to thread. The British Theatre Inspecotrs banned the machine in the 20's from the UK market as they felt the shutter design was a fire trap
The 7500 soundhead was also the TA 7500 by Western Electric
That lamphouse is a 1kw carbon and was made by strong It was the same as the Simplex 1k

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-18-2002 08:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally the AA has a bit too much gearing in it. I think I counted 27 gear meshes once. Its someting like that. When the machine would get old alot of lost motion in the gear train would begin to show up. According to a friend that worked for Motiograph, the AA, and AAA, also suffered from a flicker problem that they never did solve. The problem was only visible under certain conditions though and thousands of the machines were sold. One customer of ours still runs 6 of them! All have red LED reverse scanner in them as well. 4 of them are running DTS and one ir supporting a Cat 700 SRD system.

Well, no doubt the base would win in the Tank/Projector Duel but the alumnium projector and soundhead wouldn't fare so well. I have an original first month production Model K that runs really nice. A good friend in Chicago that restores silent machines only was the screen test operator at Motiograph just prior to WW-2. He screen tested model K's. Its also extremely gentle on film as well but the reverse top loop, like some european machines, and the rear opening trap take a bit of getting used to. Picture wise its on a par with the Super Simplex. The Model K is extremely easy to disassemble but is very heavy. I have an original factory B&W 8X10 glossy of the Model K that I'll scan and send in to Brad.
Mark @ GTS

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2002 07:52 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the pleasure of completely dismantling one of these last summer, freeing up all the parts on which the grease had turned to glue and getting it operational. As far as gearing, it doesn't have any more than my Brenkert BX80 and all of them are simplicity itself to get at and replace, since you don't have to remove half the drive train to get them off. You've got to be impressed with the rock-solid quality of the machine. I mean, even the lens mount/pressure plate mechanism rides on ball bearings (which are a PITA to put back in once you've removed them!). The one I rebuilt was painted dark olive drab, so I'm wondering if it was used by the military. It's now glossy "Midnight Black" and looks very cool. You purists can cringe, but it's all I had available and if it weren't for me, the thing would be in a landfill now.) I still prefer my Brenkert, although the AA is a close second for solidity and quiteness.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2002 07:53 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought an "AA" from John Eickhof. When it arrives
it will be a nice addition to eclectic my collection of
boatanchors! Looks like an interesting design (especially the
shutter) and should be fun to tinker with and nurse back to
health (hopefully). I hear replacement bearings are easy to
find. No doubt I'll have some pretty basic
questions for you gents along the way. Like how
is 'Motiograph' pronounced? - like the word "motion"??

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2002 08:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John said.....
"As far as gearing, it doesn't have any more than my Brenkert BX80 and all of them are simplicity itself to get at and replace, since you don't have to remove half the drive train to get them off."

Just try to get the intermittent drive gear off sometime in a booth when you're in a hurry, You ahve to remove almost all the other gearing to get it out, or the set screw out of the drum shutter that has been in for 30 years !! Of all the machines I have worked on and owned, both the Brenkerts and Motios have the largest, most complicated gear trains. Way more complex than any Norelco, Simplex, or Century. Even more complex than a Kalee 21. The thing that Motio has over Brenkert is that it is all ball bearing. A BX-80 or 100, which has no "balls" is a very heavy load for a soundhead, so heavy in fact that RCA came out with the 9050 which drove them off the lower sprocket shaft so the picture head didn't introduce any wow/flutter into the sound by being driven off the upper sprocket shaft! The Motiograph intermittent was originally designed to be all ball bearing, no bushings, although its manufacturers did finally settle on an inner bushing, while the Brenkert movement was patterned after the European intermittents. Wow! If only Christie used the same ball bearings in the P-35 as Motiograph did, they would also run for 50 years. Geez....a 50 year old still operational Christie? Thats scary enough to use as a basis for a science fiction script.
Mark @ GTS

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2002 10:41 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Mark is right about THAT gear. You have to get all the others out of the way first. And I still haven't gotten the set screw out of the shutter. I plan to rent a small jackhammer, though...and I'm convinced that it will do the trick. I've discovered that if I put a couple of AA's on top of my washer, it doesn't vibrate as much during the spin cycle....but the picture isn't as steady.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2002 01:33 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that Motiograph is an excellent machine! Unfortunately, Wolk, who was a major supplier, scrapped all of their nos stock and other goodies, so I do not know how parts availibility is?

I was told that the barrel type shutter design is not very light effecient...comments please?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-22-2002 04:21 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Motiograph parts are hard to obtain since Wolk estimated a couple of years ago that where at most 150 - 200 units running regularily and not enough to support. A minimum order for stars and cams was going to cost Wolk $15 - 20,000 in cost to stock, so that was the end of intermittent parts for the unit.
Barrel shutter can or can not be very efficient based on the light cone and f speed of the reflector....a well matched lamphouse / projector should give excellent light.
We just retired our last Motiograph in the field....the customer had a room of spare heads.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: