Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Handy Tools (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Handy Tools
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2002 09:56 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, how many of you carry itmes like a Mag Lite or Leatherman tool on you when you work in the booth?

I've had my Mag Lite for over a year, and my Leatherman for about half that. I cannot imagine working the booth without either of them with me. The flashlight is definitely handy, but so is the Leatherman. I can usually find something to adjust that's not quite perfect. I'm wondering how I ever did without these items!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-16-2002 11:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had one of those double decker tool boxes on wheels for the last couple of years. After owning about every kind of tool case, or box there is I finally settled on this. Holds twice as much as any tool case and is more mobile around todays large plex'es. Heck, There's even room for plenty of snacks, but not quite room for the weenie roller. Oh well, I did see a nice three decker at Home Depot the other day that might work out for that Paul! Take it where you go......
Have had a Leathermans tool for years and the venerable pocket maglite too. As Brad and Joe will tell you I also had a special belt pouch made for my R-2 so it can go with me where ever I go. Oddly enough you can hardly tell when I am carrying it.....In the photo at the left it is under my right arm!!
Mark @ GTS

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2002 11:42 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! I'm sure would love a portable weenie roller!

As far as tool cases, I'm glad you brought it up. I am looking for something small, light, and very easily portable that I can take to and from work with me. I only need a few small tools, and I don't want to leave them at work. They will disapear. Any suggestions?

What's an R-2?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-17-2002 01:08 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! You guys are too kind.

Josh, I see they got you, too.

Ken, Presuming they are your tools, lock them a tool box, or simply take them home with you when you leave the theater. That's the best solution I found to work. Or leave them in your car until you need them.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2002 01:25 AM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have recently started sporting a swiss army cyber tool. it includes several small tools for electronic adjustments. i dig it. i also have a tiny mag lite solitare on my keys, but im thinkin bout steppin up to the slighty larger belt size... those include those cool red filters

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-17-2002 02:44 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I carry a Mini-MagLite, a 4" crescent wrench (which has my car keys attached to it) and a 'tweeker' in my pockets at all times. My Leatherman is in my toolbox (too heavy for the pockets, it weighs more than the MagLite.)

-Aaron

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2002 05:58 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always have my mini maglite (I'm on my fourth now, so much for 'lifetime guarantee!), my Leatherman Supertool, a pen, a Dolby tiddler and my mobile phone about my person. The maglite and leatherman are invaluable.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-17-2002 08:25 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Related question: When working at a theatre for the first time or at a place where you don't normally work, what do you bring?

For me the answer would be: short reel or core of junk film to run to test sound levels, etc., test films (e.g. 35mm Dolby Tone loop, 16mm Jiffy Test film, etc.), spare countdown leaders (if changeover booth), roll of masking tape, Neumade (35mm) or Ciro (16mm) splicer and tape (in case the theatre's splicer is crap), reading material (in case the film is boring), rag for cleaning gates, roll of clear leader (esp. if changeover booth), and a small flashlight. For temporary booth setups in odd places (like the one I'll be running this weekend), I will also bring a set of 2000' handcrank rewinds and C-clamps to attach them to a table, unless I know that the venue has a good bench for film inspection. For the most part, I don't bother to bring standard tools (screwdrivers, allen wrenches, etc.), since these are available in most booths and are easy enough to get if they aren't.

Obviously this is a nonissue for those who work in the same booth all the time, but I've found all of these things to be valuable when I've been in unusual booths.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2002 12:35 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A double "A" maglight with extra batteries & bulb, A custom made flashlight headband, A Gerber (better than a leatherman), a pocket screw/phillips screwdriver, & a tiddel stick is part of my wardrobe, A pen & notepad, I don't leave home with it !!

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2002 03:29 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Don, don't mess with those Leatherman things. Get yourself a Gerber multi-tool. The pliers can be opened with one hand and a flick of the wrist. I think the Gerber tools are designed very well. Rarely does a day pass without me using it many times.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2002 05:25 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mag Lights, both mini and full sized are a must have. Gerber and Leathermen are both excellent tools. Sears Craftsman has its own version w/their lifetime warranty.

Besides roll aways, shadowboards are also great to have in the booth.

Looking at the Sears Industrial Tool Catalog the other day, there is just a ton of tool storage/workbench possibilities from a large variety of manufacturers. They also list a large variety of tool attache cases at reasonable prices!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-17-2002 05:42 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like anything, it depends on the situation. I don't care for those "all-in-one" tools (like the Leatherman or Gerber) because I feel thay are a bit awkward to handle... *IF* I'm in a regular booth with some hand tools. For going to other people' booths for service, I bring a bag of regular tools.

Of course, if I was climbing up fly spaces or up into rigging, etc. than a Leatherman or Gerber would be the first thing I'd want.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2002 06:41 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is a tool. I used to carry him around, but I left him at the last theatre I worked at. They traded him to another theatre for a bucket of Technicolor. That theatre finaly took him back to Sears for a refund.

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2002 04:34 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you can get Technicolor in buckets now? I though it only came in cans

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2002 09:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, now that you mention it , I thought I saw the color on the paint shelf at Sears the other day......
Mark @ GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: