Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What makes older projectors better than newer ones? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: What makes older projectors better than newer ones?
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2002 12:14 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always heard that vintage projectors are better quality than new ones. Particular Simplex. I've seen some XL's from the early 50's in action, and they do produce an awesome rock-steady picture. What makes a vintage XL so much better than a modern Simplex?

Speaking of XL's, is there any difference between the XL and the 1050 other than the fact that the 1050 has a turrett?

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-15-2002 12:34 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The XL and PR1014/1015 (the PR1050 is the turret version of the 1015) are for all intents and purposes, the EXACT SAME MACHINE, just with a different name, the major difference is that the 1015 and 1050 do not have any of the nitrate-friendly hardware (fire shutters, fire rollers, film buckle sensors) on them like many older machines do. They use the same parts, they look basically alike.

As for why some people like that older machines better? I am not sure. Some claim they run better, other claim the build quality was better in the day, others prefer the 'antique' look of a 1949 XL as opposed to a 1989 1015... I have run them all and don;t see too much of a difference.

-Aaron

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2002 01:49 AM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always felt that (most) vintage machines are better than new ones. The only exceptions I make are to anything with a flat gate...they just don't pass muster with thin polyester film. I think older simplex and century projectors were more solid with very precise critical tolerances. Todays new century and simplex machines are made in the same factory by the same company,and I will never agree that manufacturing tolerances are as precise as in previous decades...even with modern computerized machinery. I have personally witnessed that new Century/Simplex intermittent halves are not machined perfectly flat. I have had some re-machined locally.

As far as some "new-age" machines (non-traditional) such as the Christie gearless machine: Junk 'em after maybe 10 years.

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2002 04:25 AM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the military (Army & Air Force) we are still using Simplex XLs exactly like they were bought in 1951. I am personally responsible for all of them within the Pacific region in six countries. 33 theaters. We almost never have to work on these except to change the oils. Never had an intermittent go bad. Maybe a bearing or two over the last half century. We use changeovers and NOTHING is automated. There is always somebody nearby. We also use the straight gates and the polyester film is not a problem except for noise. We don't rack up the hours per day that you folks do but most all of our theaters have been continuously operating for 50 years.

They are beautiful examples of what manufacturing used to be. Even the owner's manuals still work!

I'm happy. (knock on wood that tomorrow I don't get a call from Guam or someplace) Then again it would be nice to get away from all this snow.

Ya know what I think it is?? That 500 pound cast iron pedestal absorbs all the vibrations so that none of the machined surfaces ever touch each other

Bill BuncH
Misawa, Japan
Army, Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES)

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-15-2002 05:46 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with straight gates? I've never had a problem with them. The Century C's (straight-gate model) that I'm familiar with are in great shape and give a rock-steady picture. I will admit that they're probably not as nice as the SAs with damaged film, however.

Bill--check the picture gallery under "Hanscom AFB"; is this the "standard" AAFES theatre equipment package? I ran that booth once last year and really enjoyed it--the equipment ran beautifully. They need a better rewind bench, however. Is there any chance I could get a print of the funky AAFES policy trailer?

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2002 06:27 AM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I saw that Hanscom photo site some time ago. Except for the paint on the walls this could very well be any AAFES projection booth.

Plain is simple and simple just plain WORKS !! (typical military)

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2002 06:44 AM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most all our electric rewinds are Goldberg.

Did you also get to "inspect" the film, one 2000 ft reel at a time on the hand cranks ?? We almost never damage films. No platters, always somebody right nearby the running film and the film running inside those enclosed upper and lower magazines. No dust, no static. But you better not get too engrossed in that magazine come changeover time

Bill Bunch
Misawa, Japan

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-15-2002 10:29 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the key thing here is when a real person maintains the equipment, it can run indefinitely.

My own feeling about new vs. older projectors is that while the machining accuracy has improved, the quality of parts, assembly and some engineering has gone down.

For example, I'm fixing ten Simplex PR1050s we bought about 7 years ago. The stainless steel gate lateral guide rollers have all rusted. I don't think anyone tightened the set screws for the pins that hold the lateral guide rollers because they are all loose. To get room to work, I sometimes have to unplug a 3-pin Molex connector that controls the aperture. Apparently, the Molex pins were crimped wrong, because I see someone stuck a soldering iron in there and soldered the wires to the crimp pins. While that did get the projectors out the door, the wires now break off very easily when you try to unplug the connector. A fairly simple job has now turn in to a nightmare. It also looks like they removed the feed sprocket film stripper to make room for a wire. I think this would be crazy, especially with polyester film.

Just my own $0.02.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2002 12:13 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simplex has done away with the film stripper on the feed sprocket. I don't know if the machine you're talking about was just an isolated case of that, but none of the 12 Milleniums at my last theater had one.

Isn't the 1040 the modern version of the XL? I saw 1040's at a theater I visited in Knoxville last year. They look like XL's (If I'm thinking of the XL correctly), but they have the newer Strong gray hardened gloss enamel. Basically they look like 1050's but with straight gates and no turrets. And they have that door to the film compartment that you can close. Isn't that basically what an XL is? I've never heard of the 1014 or 1015.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2002 12:17 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the quality droped when companies went from all gears to belt drives. A rock steady picture is a good enough reason for me to like an old XL

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-15-2002 03:14 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With projectors today, it seems more like quantity control instead of quality control.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2002 07:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't completely agree that newer machines are all bad, in fact with a couple of exceptions they are actually better in may ways.
Take the X-L for example. The main casting has been made much thicker and heavier over the years. Iahve personally machined off about 100 fronts of X=L's over the years and I can definately testify that the older castings were sometimes paper thin above the lens mount, same for the gear side. Newer castings are far thicker, less porus, andleak less, expecially when you get a new one that is painted at the factory. There have also been numerous improvements to the X-L intermittent such as the addition of an oil passageway to the end of the Starwheel bushing to help allevialte this common point of seize. Also, seals have been between the intermittent carrige and mainframe, intermittent and carrage, and a seal at the outer end of the starwheel. The starshaft seal serves two fold, 1. to prevent film crud form getting back down the starwheel shaft, and a possible resultant seized shaft, and 2. To keep the oil in the machinery. I don't however agree with the latest round of gate/trap assemblys. IMHO they goofed it up there. Another VERY important improvement that was done was to move the upper sprocket up higher to allow lenses to rotate in the turrett without having to open the darn thing up. If they'd only go back to the old sstyle trap it would be a great machine. While there was quantity production for a couple of years here in the states it has gone either back to normal or less than normal(more likely) than it was. There is one machine, all belt driven, that I won't go into here. It doesn't qualify!

There are two very old machines I make exception too, and in my opinion they are the best ever made. One is the old cast iron Century C, and the second would be the E-7, which is still a commonly found machine in film labs today. I've never seen either one of these have any problems running polyestar film, ever. That may be another story with a Super or Standard though, I don't have any customers still running them. They may require some minor adjustments to the gate springs to get the proper tension but I can't imagine them not being able to run the stuff either.
Mark @ GTS

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2002 09:53 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kindasorta related question: What do you guys think is the best Simplex projector? (Model and vintage.) Just curious. Thanks.

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2002 10:30 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Simplex machines. I think the X-Ls are what I would like to have in my booth if I could find two at a reasonable price. Isn't it amazing that the price of the XL today is probably not that much different then when they were new. I have E-7s and they are great. They have been running everyday since 1945 with only a few gear replacements every decade or two. E-7s are real workhorses. I learned many years ago on Brenkert 80s. They were good machines as well. They would practically run any condition film without a problem. They are very roomy and easy to work on.

I just bought 25 E-7s this past week so I guess I'll have backups and parts to last the rest of my lifetime and beyond. Does anyone need any?

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2002 10:32 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the XL of the early fifties. As Mark points out some of the castings were`nt the best but the hand fitting and lapping of the intermittents can` be duplicated to day. Bad points bad New Departure hexagonal ball bearings. and pad roller springs that would be more suitable for a bear trap. E7 new 1938. One shot oiling system,Erneman [Fulco]had this in the early 20`s. Intermittent good, first one with a cam plug to control end play on the cam. Worst point; oblique shaft which drove the upper & lower sprocket shafts and the steel shutter shaft gear. Poor design. Fibre gear on oblique shaft wouldnt last very long even if you changed the position of the framing carriage daily. Much less if you did`nt. Super Simplex[1931]'; the E7 was`nt much of an improvement.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: