Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lasers vs Red LEDs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lasers vs Red LEDs
Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2002 09:08 PM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some years back we tried installing some Japanese manufactured laser lenses to upgrade exciter lamp systems to red light. Apart from some initial reliability problems caused by xenon igniter RF (which we overcame with modifications to the supplied internal electronics), we ended up pulling them all out due to excessive noise modulation.

Recently David Johnson (Hoyts Australia) has been installing a new type of laser light source made by Walter Voigt in Switzerland and is reporting excellent results. Whilst these lasers have the downside of using conventional forward scan with it's vulnerable solar cell arrangement, they do offer similar crosstalk and frequency response performance (with narrow slit lenses) to a reverse scan system, plus much higher audio output level without the need for that noisy little Dolby pre-amplifier.

They also appear to have negigible fall off in light output level over time, unlike the troublesome visible red LEDs.

Anyone else tried these devices and if so what has been your experience?

------------------
Ray Derrick
President/Chief Engineer
Panalogic Corporation Sydney, Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 9894 6655 Fax: 61 (0)2 9894 6935

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-11-2002 11:16 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these the ones that are supplied with newer Ernaman projectors?

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2002 02:28 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of that I am not sure John, but I will find out.

------------------
Ray Derrick
President/Chief Engineer

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2002 05:34 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys!

We have been supplying and installing Mr Voight's lasers for some time now. These are not the same as the Raytheon unit on Ernemman projectors, the Raytheon is a complete sound head really. The Audio Cine Laser is a drop-in replacement for the exciter lamp. Here's my experience of them.

You get loads of signal, in the odd case you get more signal than you know what to do with! I have had to mod a couple of Cat240's to reduce the input stage gain.

You get increased HF response, this is dues to the ACL slit being narrower than most optics, to describe the amount simply, if on a tungsten exciter the optic in question starts to roll of at 10KHz, you'll likely find it will now roll of at 12KHz. Less slit loss eq is required, so less noise and phase error.

Cross talk is reduced, on a head that had well within spec cross talk, it's now imeasurable using L-R film and a 'scope. This has a double benefit, particularly for Cinemecannica machines, in that you can afford to move the cell further away from the film, reducing the number of times you have to go and replace the cell!

The optics will last longer as we are not heating them up and cooling them down anymore. Less chance of it sucking in oil as it cools too.

Downsides. They can be an absolute pig to align. As the laser is outputing a slit, it follows that the laser and the slit mask in the optic MUST be in perfect alignment, otherwise the slit illumintaion is crap, and you can also get phase error. Getting this right is not as easy as it sounds, on some machines they just drop right in, notably Century, Westrex 7000 and of all things, Monee! Westrex 2002/3, can be trying, but the most awkward ACL alignment award has to go anything made by Phillips/Kinoton, because obviously you can't get at the thing to adjust it.
On newer Cinemec optics, the ACL clamps to the back of the optic tube, and once correctly aligned to the optic it works a treat.
The ACL seems to show up poor optics, so it's worth while checking very carefully the condition of the optic tube and reparing or replacing as required. I've stripped and cleaned out some very old Westrex tubes, which had been full of oil,but are now giving excellent service.

Hope all this is of some help.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-12-2002 09:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone looked at it's response on Cat. 566 test film (uniform illumination)?

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-12-2002 09:21 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have installed these in a film laboratory QC screening room and the response on the CAT566 film is excellent......
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-12-2002 02:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the uniformity very good as well but it has been reported that if the slit lens is extremely narrow and the shock mounts on the excitor assembly aren't the best you can get some microphonics

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2002 04:50 PM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have fitted these units to the good old Aussie RAYCOPHONE sound head
(for those not in the know are reverse scan dateing back to the 30s)
and have had very good results. Also just sent a pair to a country cinema where the owner fitted them with my phoned help, his report was that he was very pleased with the result.
And no new lense were needed.
------------------
ALL PARTS FOR VICTOR AND KALART VICTOR 16MM PROJECTORS.
SERVICE TO 35 AND 16MM
PROJECTION EQUIPMENT.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2002 09:27 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting a good Cat566 response is where the difficult alignment rears it's head. You can adjust the azimuth of the laser, and obviously you can adjust the azimuth of the optic, imagine in your minds eye the two slits perfectly parallel with each other, then shift the azimuth of one slightly, and you'll soon see why you can be in deep doodoo! That said, once you learn how to do it, you get stonking results, most of the easy machines that I mentioned will go flat to within 1dB on Cat566, the tricky ones you can usually manage 2dB, which ain't bad at all.

I've only ever encountered microphonics on Westrex 7000 machines, and it was down to the rep-set isolating rubber being perished by oil contamination. But to be fair, I've had microphonic problems on Westrex 7000's with exciter lamps too.

I do feel that the ACL is a much better solution than the Jaxlight, with the notable exception of it's use on the Phillips machines, the ease of installing Jaxlight on those, compared with the UNEASE of installing ACL on them outweighs the performance loss IMHO.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-13-2002 12:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok,

Now compare this whiz-bang laser systemt to a conventional reverse scan reader (Kelmar or Component as examples though there are others). It is better or worse or the same...Please grade on ease of installation, stability, longivity and serviceability.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2002 01:47 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete

Have you noticed any noise modulation (under dialogue) with these lasers? This was the problem we had with the Japanese units. When you shine one of the Jap units onto a white surface you can see many small dots of light, rather than an even pool of light. This generates noise in the soundtrack. David Johnson tells me he has encountered no noise problems with the ACL units, which would suggest that Walter has overcome this problem.

Also have you noticed any drop off in light level since installing these devices.

------------------
Ray Derrick
President/Chief Engineer

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2002 07:24 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ease of installation. Depends on the machine. Century it's as easy as changing an exciter and doing an 'A' chain, so it's probably fair to say it's easier and quicker to install ACL on a Century than to install reverse scan. Westrex Westar can be a bit more fiddly due to the exciter base being a little more mobile, BUT you can't fit a reverse scan kit to Westrex head without a bit of modification. Analogue only requires the scan drum to be shortened, analogue/SR.D reader fitment requires the drum shortening, plus some maching to the rep set casting itself, if you want to do a proper job of it. Fitting ACL to a Cinemecannica is quicker and easier than fitting reverse scan. The only one I have constant problems with is Phillips. I've never fitted reverse scan to a Phillips so I don't feel qualified to compare the two.
Stability has not been a problem. There are a few things to learn, like removing the spring from Westrex exciter bases, and drilling into operators that under no circumstances do they touch the laser. The laser is a fragile piece of kit and very unforgiving of misalignment, so in fairness the reverse scan scores here. Although I've never had a problem with the lasers, but it COULD easily happen.
Longeivity. Hmm interesting question. I've had one laser that failed whilst aligning, which was quickly replaced. Other than that I've never had a failure on them. Now compare that with the ludicrously short life of some LED pips..... So far I'd say it was better then the LED's BUT these newer LED pips may give different results, so this is really a 'wait and see' item.
Serviceablity. If you can change an exciter and do a good 'A' chain you can service these things. As yet I've not had to replace one, but of course there is always routine 'A' chain alignment. I'll stick my neck out here and say it's probably easier to replace an ACL than an LED pip, dis-regarding alignment, as that would have to be performed in either case.

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but here in the UK the ACL has a major factor in it's favour. Price. It comes in at about a third to a half of the cost of a CE reverse scan kit, and that is quite a significant amount of cash.

Ray, I can't say I have noticed any noise modulation. We did some system noise measurements with ACL, LED. The ACL is measurably noisier than the LED ( don't have the figures ). It wasn't much and certainly not audible. I seem to remember that early ACL's took some flak over this but the last time I saw Walter we chatted about that and he didn't seem to think it was a problem with his current product.

I've not noticed any drop-off with these as yet, some of my first ones are now approaching three years, and luckily those are on CP500, where it's very easy to judge pre-amp gain. I keep a careful eye on this, because of the hassle we all had with LED life, and so far so good with the ACL! We are currently running them on a 3.3v supply, originally we were running them on 5v, but our thinking was to run them as low as possible, this was based on LED experience. I haven't measured any difference in signal when swapping a 5v PSU for a 3.3v, so I assume that there is some form of internal regulation?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-13-2002 09:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete said
"It comes in at about a third to a half of the cost of a CE reverse scan kit, and that is quite a significant amount of cash."
Thats only most likely due to the difference in currency exchange where you're located. Its hard to believe that some European company has not set up to produce cost effective, true reverse scan units yet????
I pay way under 500.00 U.S. for a CE reverse scan kit. Installation time is about an hour in a Simlpex, or Century. Walters kit would cost me about a 50 dollars less than the CE, is non-standard, and still utilizes the slit lens, so I stick with a US made reverse scanner retro.
BCAP makes the best reverse scanner, and is even easier to install as the supply is built into it. They also have the fastest optics out there which allow you to greatly reduce the LED illumination level. Slit lenses have always been, and will always be a critical part of any "A" chain, they are exposed to oil and sometimes get oil inside of them, which is a problem that cannot be rectified in the field, whilst a reverse scanner pickup is quite easy to clean up in the booth if it is contaminatd with oil. Even new slit lenses are inconsistent on evenness of illuminaton and frequency response. I feel that a move away from slit lenses is the better choice. Whilst red LED reverse scanners may be a bit more noisy(even the sophisticated theatre patron would never notice it) there are many more advantages to them than to this small disadvantage. The LED's have also come way down in price as well. If the LED's are switched on and off by the automation they will also last an extremely long time! In the U.S. good exciter lamps are also getting difficult to come by. General Electric is about the only decent brand over here, and sometimes the quality of those is spotty. Osram is very expensive! For the amount of time that a RED LED lasts you would spend more $$ on exciter lamps than one would on a new LED. Walters LED will also need to be replaced eventually as well!

Ray,
Why don't you produce a little retro PCB that is quieter than Dolbys? You are after all the analog guru of theatre sound. I can't see it being that difficult to do......
Mark @ GTS

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2002 11:25 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the ACL emitter will have to be replaced eventually, I believe the maker will carry out some form of exchange, so you don't buy a new unit. We have lasers that have been in service alongside LED's, and no discernible output drop noticed, yet we've replaced LED pips more than once in the same space of time!

Mark we're mainly talking about retro fit to US made or designed projectors, the European makes do produce kits for their machines, but they are still seriously expensive compared to an ACL, and I can't really see Kinoton or Cinemec starting to make kits for Westar/Century, can you??! If money wasn't an issue then I'd opt for reverse scan almost every time. But in real life money is THE issue, and for some machines there are no reverse scan readers available. Fedi & Ross spring to mind.

To put things in perspective, the cost of a CE reverse scan to the customer is a little below £1000. The cost of an ACL can be around £350. To the theatre owner that's a heck of a difference.

The bottom line is that the ACL works well, and is cheaper than reverse scan (for us here in rip off Britain, at any rate).

One thing I would like to see changed is the mounting of the ACL, if all of them clamped to the back of the optic tube, like the ACL 9A for newer Cinemec lenses, a lot of alignment troubles would disappear, as the laser and optic tube function as one unit. Walter, if you're reading this, how about it??

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-13-2002 12:24 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
another reason that you do not see Europrean versions of Component or Kelmar hardware, besides working to a tiny industry in terms of sales, the critical parts are supplied by Dolby ( pre-amp cards in analog/digital, solar cell, LED-V )and for a manufacturer to create a product line using these components, Dolby requires evaluation of the proposed product(s) which may cost a manufacturer up to $50,000 in fees before they receive an "OK".....so the big boys like Cinemeccanica and Kinoton can absorb this.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: