Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I really need to start splicing head and tail leaders back on the prints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: I really need to start splicing head and tail leaders back on the prints
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 01:25 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, Ive known for a while that its supposed to be done this way, but havent convinced myself to do it until recently.
The only problem I've had when doing this is finding the best way to do it.
I have a STRONG makeup table where the reel lies sideways on top of it and there is not enough room for the splicer.

I tried setting the splicer on top of the reel to make the splice, gut quickly realized that its waaaay too dangerous and I could risk dropping the splicer.

Then i tried doing it at the platter and the only problem there is that sometimes the tail leaders are too short and they come off of the reel and I have to wind them up to keep them off the floor and then put them back on the reel.

Is there a better way to do this or is the second option the way to go?

|  IP: Logged

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 02:21 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the very least use masking tape to reattach the heads and tails.
It takes only a small amount of tape to do the job. try to find the least sticky available to decrease any damage to the ajoining frames. Absolutely do not use double sided tape.

I was shown this when I first began and was told it was to save time. I use a strong to break down also and I have no problem in fitting the splicer in between the reel and take up rollers. If anything place a sturdy small box below the make up table and place the splicer on top and do your splices there. Hope any of this helps.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2002 02:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The professional way of breaking down a print is to single sided splice the leaders back on. I've used the Strong table and there is enough room for the splicer, although not a lot. If you have to, place the splicer on the table to make your splice, then set it elsewhere while you unload the reel.

Remember, when breaking down do NOT use the cutting blade on your splicer to separate the splice. Doing so will only damage the initial cut and force the next guy to chop off two frames to make a good joint. Also do NOT chop off another frame so you don't have to peel the splicing tape off. Again, the professional way to break down is to peel your splicing tape off and reattach the leaders with a single sided splice. However, in a rush situation, I've personally no problem if you just tear the splice in your hands, leaving the splicing tape in tact, and just lay a single sided splice on top. That way if the next theater cares enough to save the frame (sadly most don't these days), they can do the peel job for you.

I don't know what theater you work for James, but I do know that AMC actually TEACHES the practice of breaking down without reattaching the leaders. (You see, using half a foot of splicing tape is WAAAAAAY too costly for a print on ship out in AMC's opinion.) An alternative acceptable solution in AMC's eyes is to use a piece of the cheapest, nastiest masking tape you can find. Both are completely unacceptable methods of breaking down and I wish someone at AMC would get in there and change that company policy/training practice. Frequently when I've received a print that played (even if just one time for a screening) at an AMC, I have to chop off multiple frames because I cannot get that damned masking tape goo off of the film and I don't want a brain wrap in the middle of my show from it. If the print came from one of the "just tuck the film under the leader and ship it out" AMCs, there is almost always scratching where the film rubbed up against itself and frequently damaged sprockets and folded film too. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

(I might add that I know of at least 4 times where I flat out rejected a print due to such carelessness during breakdown that only played once at an AMC and that theater DID have to pay for a new copy.)

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 03:12 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In AMC's defense, they are currently making many changes in how projectionists are trained and how things are done. I do not know everything involved as parts of it are being rolled out a little at a time, but the latest update on biuldup policy did make mention of actually splicing leaders back on.

As far as tape is concerned, the only tape that is now approved by AMC is the white paper tape from permacel (the same stuff used on many prints behind the title on the head and tail leaders).

Despite the reputation they may have, they are making some improvements on how things are done.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2002 03:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very good to hear. But do bewarned that the Permacel Artist's tape DOES leave a residue if left on the print for months. If the print goes straight to another theater it isn't too big of a deal, but if the print goes back to the depot and ends up as a repertory print, it could sit there for months or a few years before it is sent out again.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-06-2002 10:08 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear God, please don't use masking tape to "re-attach" the leaders. I work in a few booths with c/o's. It is a hassle to have to fast forward, then rewind, every reel to attach the tail leader so it won't jam in the projector when it's acually run.

Like Brad said; if you are in a hurry, just rip the splice by hand and place a peice of tape on one side. Not ideal, but it will run through OK.

Could you make the top of the make-up table a little bigger by bolting a peice of wood to it, like a shelf?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 01:07 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, I've used Strong MUT's in the past. Like Brad said, there is enough room for the splicer. I put it between the reel and the rollers. I find it a good idea, as was mentioned, to put the splicer on the floor when I'm done with it.

Yes, using splicing tape is the ony professional way to go. But if you must use masking tape, I also recommend white paper tape. I've heard it referred to as non-oozing tape, I guess because it doesn't leave goo behind. Anyway, I don't know who makes the stuff I use, but I purchase it from Tape Products Company. It's about 3 dollars a roll, but it's much better than regular masking tape. Much more professional. I have their phone number and the product number if you're interested.

Howard Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 01:43 PM      Profile for Howard Johnson   Email Howard Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I'm not the only peeler! I do seem to be in a minority in the UK though. I've always used it and it's nice to receive a print with the leaders taped one side so it's easy to make up on a tower or for change-overs. I really hate leaders that are just wound in with the film. It doesn't take much longer to tape them.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 04:45 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was never talking about leaving the splicer on the makeup table while winding the film on the reel, just for splicing.

Has the design of the STRONG makeup table been altered in the past few years?

I know mins stands shorted than some others (at one of my old theatres you could make up and break down from the middle platter without using thr rollers; on these you cant), but is the main body also narrower?

I put down an empty reel and a splicer to see just how much room I would have. I could fit the splicer there just barely, but with no room to make a splice. My theatre was biult in 1999.

Mike Judge
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 08:02 PM      Profile for Mike Judge   Email Mike Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is where I hear my dad saying to me, "Where there's a will, there's a way." What about the floor? For safety's sake, whenever I'd break down I'd set my splicer on the floor up against the wall. I knew that I wouldn't step on it, I was more afraid of bumping the MUT and causing some sort of catastrophe. Next time you break down, look objectively at what you want to get done, find what will work best for you, in keeping with the most professional job possible, and you will find your answer. I agree with John though, it certainly isn't masking tape! Even in a platter booth, nothing I hate more than taking the leader off, and getting snagged by a half-assed replaced leader. Teach the respect and bring the honor back.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2002 09:10 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Whiz! I'd settle for a print that had the correct leaders and tails (as long as there was a reference frame) whether they were spliced on or not.

In contast to the usual scrached up shit I usually get my print of Serendipity this weekend (second run) was absolutely gorgeous. Almost brand new.... not a scratch or a mark on it. However, except for the tail of the last reel number 5, there was not a head or a tail included with the print. (Probably in a prior operator's trash can somewhere). There were white bands around the reels..... but none of those was marked either. It was a 5 reel print so Reels 1 & 5 were easily identified. Not having seen the feature before, I was forced to run a couple of the middle reels just to determine the order.

The last time I had to do this was with The Full Monty a couple of years back and even with screening the reels I still got it wrong!

Bob Healey
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2002 10:15 AM      Profile for Bob Healey   Email Bob Healey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had something similar happen with Xmen. The last reel had a tail, reel 1 had some clear film for a head. The only thing that made assembling it easy was that on breakdown, instead of undoing the splices at reel change, who ever had it last just cut it diagonally across the frame as soon as the shipping reel was full. Print went back out with the reels in proper configuration

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2002 11:38 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Masking tape? On film? Good Lord, NO NO NO!!

Please, if there is anyone on this site who uses masking tape to join head/tails to reels please stop immediately. It is not only detrimental to the film it is very unprofessional in both practise and appearance. Not to insult anyone, but , when I see masking tape used to join tails to reels the first thing that pops in my head is "lazy s.o.b.". Is that the opinion you want people to have of you or your work? I think not.

Carl

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2002 11:44 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
another thought: You're right when yu say that the room for splicers on the Strong m/up tables is minimal. I solved the prpoblem.
Check out yard sales or your basement and find a samll table. I have one that was an old elementary school desk. You know the type.. with the empty space below the desktop but any small table will do fine. During m/up or t/dwn I set the table nearby and use it to place my splicer or anything else I need to complete the task. My next project is to put it on castors so I can push it around the booth instead of carrying it. Lazy, eh?

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2002 01:33 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always groaned when getting used prints with the leaders taped onto the film and the splicing tape not peeled off- unfortunately that seemed to be on the majority of used prints! The last people I trained I pounded into their heads what a bad thing it was to do that!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: