Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is the difference between NR1 and NR2 (SDDS 3000)

Author Topic: What is the difference between NR1 and NR2 (SDDS 3000)
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2002 12:33 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are presets 4 (NR1) and 5 (NR2).
I believe they use separate A-Chains, but is there any real difference between the two?

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-05-2002 12:43 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NR1 is Dolby A type noise reduction; NR2 is SR type.
This was done specifically because Sony did not want any copyright lawsuit problems.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2002 04:15 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive my ignorance, but how is Dolby A different from Dolby SR?
I think someone told me once that A just doesn't have the surrounds (or thats the impression I got somehow).
If that's true, then NR1 can't be Dolby A since it uses the surrounds also.

Phil Connolly
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2002 06:14 AM      Profile for Phil Connolly   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Connolly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

Noise reduction has nothing to do with the number of speaker channels, both A type and SR surround have the same Left, Center, Right and Surround set up.

SR has twice the noise reduction of A type, resulting in a much better signal to noise ratio. So you get the same number of channels in SR and A type but with SR the sound is nicer.

These articles explain the science of noise reduction quite well: http://www.dolby.com/ken/

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-05-2002 10:16 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Phil's correct... there are two separate technologies at work; the noise reduction part and the; "two channel on film - to four channels in auditorium" matrix part.

In an older Dolby processors, the two different kinds of noise reductions are done on two different analog PC boards inside the unit. But since the Sony unit is entirely digital, the Sony people had to write a program to "mimic" that same signal processing.

You would probably be doing everyone a favor if you changed the text the SDDS displays. Check with your service guy first, but I'm sure he would agree.

Instead of "NR1," change it to read: "Optical Dolby A type (format 04)."
Instead of "NR2," change it to read: "Optical Dolby SR type (format 05)."

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2002 06:02 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James

It is VERY important to select the right NR format for any given film. The differences between Dolby A-Type and Dolby SR are quite dramatic. Fortunately this has become less of a problem in recent years because Dolby A-Type is not used all that much (all films with a Dolby Digital track use SR on the analog track). The worst thing you can do is play a Dolby A-type print with SR selected on the processor, as this will result in "pumping" of low level dialogue, not to mention weird effects on frequency response.

This used to be a common problem with DTS-only films, because "DTS Stereo" = Dolby A-type, not Dolby SR (unless things have changed, have they Karen?).

------------------
Ray Derrick
President
Panalogic Corporation Pty Limited
44 Carrington Road
Castle Hill NSW 2154 Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 9894 6655 Fax: 61 (0)2 9894 6935

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: