Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Do people not care anymore?

Author Topic: Do people not care anymore?
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2001 09:15 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few weeks ago I went to see Behind Enemy Lines at the local 10 plex. One thing I noticed was that the picture was moving from side to side. I pointed this out to the projectionist when he walked the auditorium and suggested that he check to make sure the lateral guide rollers are working. (Simplex projectors.)

When I went there this weekend to see a movie, the GM said she'd let me in if I didn't come out to complain about anything. What?? If something is wrong with the presentation, I can't complain about it? In reference to my last visit, she said something like "We don't know what lateral waves are." Ok, I did not say that. I said lateral guide roller, and anyone working in the booth had better know what a lateral guide roller is!! Then she said "We're not perfect, and we're never going to be." Grrrr!!! Help! Take me to a place with real projectionists who care about Film Done Right.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-31-2001 09:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

You find the address of the corporate HQ of that company and tell the Pres. of the company (or whatever) the same strory you just told us!

No self-respecting manager of ANY business should EVER, EVER say something like that to a customer!

If my boss ever got a report like this about ME, he'd be on the phone, reaming my ass, in approximately 0.68 seconds! If I pleaded for my life and promised never to do it again he MIGHT let me keep my job!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2001 09:57 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, let me clarify. This theater is the same company as mine. By let me in, I mean for free. I wasn't exactly a customer. And I'm a Booth Certifier for my company. I always manage to find something less than perfect to complain about. I guess they see it as me picking on the little things. But what's wrong with that? I want to be able to enjoy my movie with no distractions, and I want our customers to get their money's worth.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-01-2002 12:20 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not offer to go up and show them what lateral guide rollers are? It would be easy and only take a second.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2002 05:59 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next time I am there to train someone I will! But the managers there have been certified, so they should know what the lateral guide rollers are. (It's part of the test.) That's what really annoys me.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2002 07:44 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All it takes is a call to a DM or better yet, corporate. I would kill my guys for even thinking like that.

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2002 08:37 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If yu are the booth certifier for your company then the theatre managers should be asking you for help not complaining when you bring things to their attention. I agree with the Film-Techer who says go up and show him/her. It won't take long and will leave you in a better frame of mind to enjoy the movie.

If the manager in question is behaving as you say then it's time he/she looked for other work.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-01-2002 01:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel your pain.

It's a tough spot to be in. You try and TRY to teach people how to do things the right way but as soon as you head out the door, they all go right back to the way they were doing things.

All you can do is keep on telling them until you're blue in the face.

As much as it always seems that you are telling people what's wrong you need to make sure you tell people about the things that they are doing RIGHT. There's an old saying; "Criticize quietly and praise loudly." There's a lot of wisdom in that saying as long as you don't let yourself become like a cheerleader.

Another thing you can try to do is explain to them (in as much detail as they can take) WHY you are pointing something out. For instance, in the case of a weaving picture, you can tell them that an unsteady picutre causes customers to get headaches. Say to them that it's the PROJECTIONIST'S responsibility to see to it that the customers don't get seasick watching a movie.
Yes, it's over dramatizing things a bit but it is substantially true. Unless you point things out to them in a way they can understand they aren't going to want to improve things.

Finally, when you DO finally get people to improve make sure you document it to your superiors. Send an e-mail (or whatever) to your boss and "CC:" it to the theatre manager. The idea is to try to get them to understand that you are on THEIR side.

Other than that the only thing you can do is keep on hammering on people until you pound it through their skulls. It's not a nice thing to have to do but sometimes you have to do dirty work like that.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-01-2002 05:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a little something to think about. What are the main causes of projectionist staff turnover? The three I hear repeatedly are:

#1 Poor pay rate
#2 Horrible uniform (Cinemark's plastic suspenders and bow ties come specifically to mind)
#3 Abuse from techs or managers (aka: get blamed and yelled at any time the equipment breaks)

Think about it. All of those problems could be eliminated, or at least the second two. No one will keep working a job if they are unhappy. Take care of your staff and your staff will be loyal, take care of you...and STAY! No more re-training staff over and over and no more sloppy presentations.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2002 06:36 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

In my town usually projectionist doesn't pay in other theater. However I usually pay in some theater because I want to show my ticket when I'll exit claiming for something...
If you are a collegue and you don't know well the projectonist, it could be inappropriate to exit claiming something: one colleague can thanks you for the help, another one can be annoyed.
But if it is the same chain, I would think that your colleague should be happy for the help.
Surely, the manager shouldn't reply to you... I'd say to that manager "why should'nt complain if there is a problem that can be easily resolved? I'm available to help the staff with the problem, customers has paid to see that movie."

You have to analyze the people before make any comment...

Bye
Antonio

Tom Fermanian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2002 06:46 PM      Profile for Tom Fermanian   Email Tom Fermanian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you expect? most 'filmbooth' attendees (as one circuit calls them here) are recent graduate of the college of popcorn poppers or universety of the broom!. The upper echelon should only be happy that someone gives a darn! especialy when someone works for the same company! Where's the team spirit??You can't be faulted for taking your employers business at heart, the problem seems to be with management localy.Latteral Rollers???, it's tough explaining to some booth attendees that there are no fast forward ,pause or eject swithches on the projectors.

------------------

Paul Harnden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2002 10:56 PM      Profile for Paul Harnden   Email Paul Harnden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that's nuts. If I was that projectionist and my ol' certifier came in with the same problem, and I gave her the same reply, I'd get my ass kicked-from my GM, BM, and most likely all the other operators.
But Randy is right, you have to keep reminding them and burn it into their brains. If that doesn't work, just let it keep up, invite your tech or DM in and have them check it out undercover. If nothing happens then, well then get the hell out of that company!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-01-2002 11:21 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old of simplex projectors are in that theater.....Do they have the older type lens turrets on them.....Sometimes vibrations and the turret needing adjustment can cause side to side weave of the picture....

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2002 11:45 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I think, is right. Most of the kids hired today as "film-stuffers" are teen-agers. Blasting obscenities at them for faults that you, in your days as a projectionist or technician would have found unforgivable, does nothing more than demoralize them.

It is better, I have found, rather than to lecture or take a "holier-than-thou" attitude, to instead, "suggest" an easier or better way to do a given task. They will respond with gratitude.

"You know, that's not bad, but let me show you what I usta do with that" kinda thing.

The end result, is less abandoned performances, less film damage, better performances, and after all, isn't that what we're all trying to achieve here?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-03-2002 07:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can testify that if you treat your employees right, they will not only stay but they'll hate to leave!

Most of our concession people start as freshmen or sophomores in high school, and at least 90% of them work until the week before they have to leave for college. I have a long list of "former" employees who are willing to work during Christmas vacations, etc.

I have a friend who owns a theatre in Hardin, MT (about 80 miles from here) and two of her staffers have been there over 12 years!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: