Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » LAST MOVIE YOU SAW? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: LAST MOVIE YOU SAW?
Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2001 07:48 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious about this. When was the last time a working (full time)
projectionist went to see a movie as a customer?

I honestly can't remember the last time I went to a movie on a night off.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-28-2001 09:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I normally see about 6 films a year in theatres.

I only go to theatres with projectionists and I also tend to only go to theatres with curtains. Thus my choices are severely limited. I generally catch whatever the Senator Theatre in Baltimore, MD is playing.
http://www.senator.com

I think Monsters Inc was the last film I saw in a movie theatre (THX and in EX and everything).

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-28-2001 10:46 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched "The Majestic" at the theater I work at; my better half wanted to see it. It was slightly out of frame, and the stereo didn't kick in, so I went up to fix it. Noticed the film damaged at the end of R4; probably damaged while mounting.

That's why I avoid actually going to theaters and watching a film... anything wrong bothers me too much.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2001 01:18 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, I went to two films last night.

First I went to see The Majestic at a notably inferior theatre on "free popcon day". They were tremendously busy and the staff was behind. The trailers were all scratched to shit. The feature looked like the aperature plate wasn't in all the way and the crdits were out of frame. But the film was mercifly unscratched so I watched it without complaint. I enjoyed the scenes in the theatre itself. I would have liked to run the Majestic. I love the idea of the apartment above the theatre and the usher living in the basement. Nobody would be late to work. I did find the fact that they were a small town and had Matinees at 11 & 2 evenings at 6 & 9 a little far fetched.

Then I went to see Ali at the new Stadium 14. The presentation was much better as was the sound.

Both films I enjoyed watching. I don't need or want to watch them again. I feel that the set decoration in The Majestic was Oscar caliber and I would like to see Jon Voit get an Oscar nod for his portrayal of Howard Cosell, it was uncanny.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-28-2001 01:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DLP presentation of "Shrek" at the AMC Pleasure Island 24, in Downtown Disney in Florida in late May. I had already seen the movie in my own theatre, but wanted to see the DLP (it was fine).

Sheesh, I gotta get out more.

Les Brock
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2001 02:12 PM      Profile for Les Brock   Author's Homepage   Email Les Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend not to go to the theatre unless I know that the projection and sound is what it should be.

The last movie I saw was The Others as UCI Norwich. UK. (November 2001)

The print was not that good ( picture weave and heavy density ) but I know that the projection equipment was not at fault as previous to that they had run Moulin Rouge which looked and sounded superb.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2001 02:50 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to films all the time. I really love going to the movies. That is why I got into being a projectionist in the first place. I find that in some ways it is more relaxing actually being able to relax and sit on the other side of the glass, but only when the presentation is decent as being a projectionist has made me even more picky. I recently caught up with Lord of the Rings and Oceans 11. I hope to see some more films in the near future as well.

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2001 03:10 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks. Last movie I paid to see was "Apocolypse Now Redux" at the Century 16 in Anchorage. Terrible experience. The print had scratches all up and down the right side. Started out of frame and focus and late. I really wanted to run up to the booth and fix it myself. The room had not been cleaned very well. Just really an unpleasant experience. When I want to watch a movie from now on, either I wait for the DVD or run it myself.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-28-2001 03:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, Steve only goes to theaters with projectionists and curtains. What an interesting combination. I only go to theaters with truly good sound, bright picture and non-scratched/dirty prints. This currently leaves me only one option in the Dallas area and only 2 auditoriums at that, so generally I do not go.

So Steve, if the theater has a stain on the screen, emulsion scratches through the print, warbly mono sound played through a speaker with the LF driver blown, but it DOES have curtains AND a projectionist, do you still go?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-28-2001 07:19 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian:
'free popcorn day'? Must have been the Airport or Pacific RP 16.? At least it wasnt one of my theatres, heads would have rolled.

Last movie I have seen in its entirety? That would be 'Monsters, Inc.' in Fortuna about a month ago.

-Aaron

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2001 08:35 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see Lord of the rings at a midnight showing in Long Beach, it was decent but it was very dim. And everytime I go to the Edwards the projector stops about 5 minutes after it starts and then starts a few seconds later. It's as if its a usual occurance and someone is there to fix it.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2001 08:40 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with John Walsh on this one. It bothers the hell out of me to watch a film that I know has only been in the theatre 3 days and notice the scratches already.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-28-2001 08:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last one for me was "Lord Of The Rings" seen at the not real Cinerama, Seattle Cinerama Theatre.
Mark @ GTS

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-28-2001 09:03 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are NO commercial theatres in Brooklyn, a city of 3 million, worth getting indigestion from suffering through poor-to-horiffic presentation and showmanship. I THOUGHT there were still a few quality houses in New York City, but I was proved wrong, at least for the Loews Astor Plaza. Imagine watching one of your favorite films of all time and having to suffer through white splice flashes at EVERY shot change because the usher-sprocket jockey didn't frame it properly after he finally "corrected" a glaring misframe at the opening of the film. The reissue on 70mm of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY was the last film I saw; the one before that was two months ago. And that's about the average, one every two months or so.

And Brad, you are right about presentation, you want picture and sound to be perfect. But don't dismiss showmanship; it doesn't have to be either/or -- great picture and sound, while abandoning everything else -- patron comfort, an interior that actually has some character rather than looking like a uninviting hovel, ammenities like curtians, an attentive USHER that can actually be summoned to help you with a problem, and yes, a curtain.... even such an extravagance as a projectionist at lease SOMEWHERE within a few minutes of the booth. These ammenities don't have to at the expense of picture and sound. Just because your theatre has a curtain doesn't mean it has to have crap on the screen and AM sound. Used to be that the flagship, first-run theatres always had BOTH, and it didn't seem to take any great magical powers to do it.

I liken these utilitarian, character-less black box "cinemas," even though they may have good picture and sound, to a 5 star restaurant that offers fantastically prepaired meals, but which has these culinary delights served, not by a head waiter, but by a HS kid with spiked hair, a ring in his nose and grungy cloths -- he throws down the plate on a dirty table that has no table cloth and one leg shorter than the rest so it wobbles every time you put you fork down. The floors are sticky and when you need water, there is no one anywhere to be found. You want your steak cooked a bit more, but when you finally find another high school kid, he tells you there is NO COOK in the kitchen -- the cook only comes in on Friday when he prepairs all the meals so they can be automated the rest of the week by the minimum wage help.

The way the HOUSE is run is as important as the way the BOOTH is run. They are two sides of the same coin. If the patron is unhappy with EITHER, or further if he isn't IMPRESSED by either, he stays home in HIS theatre where his comfort and sense of taste are catered to. No one tells him in HIS theatre to ignore the fact that the place looks shabby or that there are kids making noise in front of him or that his bathroom smells like a cespool. It simply isn't enough to put a great picture on the screen, sound in a room with stadium seating and then pretty much abandon the patron who enters that ugly black hole at his own risk.

We should demand both, or the economics of unhappy patrons will force changes that may quickly make the sorry state of today's cinema get even worse.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-29-2001 12:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

The Curtains and projectionist are necessary but not sufficient!

But with curtains, the likelihood of a stained screen are less than with a naked one and with a "projectionist" a poor show is also less likely therefore, using the above criteria, ones odds of a good presentation are increased. Furthermore, exhibitors that invest in projectionists and curtains tend to also not skimp on the quality of the show, by definition.

Basically now, there is one theatre in DC I will go to and one in Baltimore.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: