Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Trouble with a strong switching power supply

Author Topic: Trouble with a strong switching power supply
Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2001 04:17 AM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our newer (installed in 98 or 99) strong switching power supply is having trouble keeping the bulb lit. The temp light goes off, but when you reset it the bulb will light back up for a half hour or so then go down again. I guess the MTS guy told one of the managers over the phone that its dirty so something must have blown in there and that we dont keep our stuff clean which really got to me because I am the one that cleans the vents off periodically. I checked the vents and there was almost no dust on them which leads me to believe that the sensor is going. We tried opening the side and putting a fan on the supply and it still does it (mostly on the shows later in the day). Any ideas? I guess a repair exchange could be done but i don't want to have to do that unless its really necessary. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2001 09:37 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this supply is installed in a console, try to set the supply outside of the console with a fan blowing on it. This is only a temporary measure---you are likely to need to send that supply back to Strong for repair/exchange.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2001 10:21 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is a newer X-90 console also be sure to vacuum off the air intake for the lamphouse blower in the lower rear of the console. This is normally somewhat hidden and may also be partially obscured by audio gear if it is located in the console. If this screen gets clogged it will not allow enough air through to lift the air switch vane.
Mark @ GTS

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2001 05:17 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah its just sitting in an OLD Kniesley console made for Kneisley rectifiers. One of them went out a few years back so MTS rigged this power supply up with a bit of electrical tape. I should take a picture its quite amusing. What concerns me is that no thought was given to airflow on this install. The original rectifier fit the entire width of the console and had an opening at the entake fan and a air tube going to the vent (right into the booth i might add which keeps it toasty up there). The new power supply was just set in the middle there. I have the back and side panels of the console taken off with a fan on the power supply and it still has problems. There is also a curious wire going from inside the supply up to the vent that used to have the air tube on it. It is just connected ot the metal grate that keeps the dust out...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: