Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » PRO-35 leaking oil on inside? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: PRO-35 leaking oil on inside?
Josh Mitoska
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2001 02:02 AM      Profile for Josh Mitoska   Email Josh Mitoska   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, can anyone give me some advice, I have a ballantyne pro-35 and it's making my film quite oily, there is oil leaking on the threading side somewhere around the intermittent I think. Has anyone had this happen? What can be done to fix it?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2001 07:00 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The oil seals are shot. Ballantynes are well known to leak from the oil seals on the top and bottom sprocket shafts and on the shutter shaft. When changing them be ready to get yourself VERY dirty.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-26-2001 10:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In actuality this machine is due for a general overhaul if it has this problem. There are also many "O" rings that seal bearing caps and cups and these should also be replaced due to compression set. This necessitates a complete tear down to accomplish properly. Be sure to use a bit of silicon grease on the new "O" rings when you re-assemble the machine. New seals are also a must when doing this. I think there is a total of 6 of them counting the one on the framing shaft. I once slid into a Pro 35 that had a bad lower shaft seal. It had belched its entire contents of oil onto the floor.
Mark @ GTS

Paul Harnden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2001 01:53 PM      Profile for Paul Harnden   Email Paul Harnden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark and Ken are right, it's your oil seals. Had the very same problem and ended up with a virtual pond in the base. Get yourself ready for a lot of work and a lot of mess.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-27-2001 12:25 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They don't call them 'Ballantyne Valdez' for nothing...

-Aaron

Josh Mitoska
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2001 12:39 AM      Profile for Josh Mitoska   Email Josh Mitoska   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that sounds great. And I just had a ball replacing that stupid assembly with the star wheel shaft and cam shaft, and shutter gears last week in one of my other Ballantynes. It took me for ever to figure out how to get the shutter off, I just was figuring that there had to be a easier way than take off that back plate.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 10-29-2006 04:36 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1767 days since the last post.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-29-2006 04:36 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Be sure to use a bit of silicon grease on the new "O" rings when you re-assemble the machine.
Please elaborate, Mark. I would think you'd want every surface absolutely dry.

I have some Pro-35s in one of the theatres I'm servicing. I will have to do some seal replacements very soon in one machine. (My only problem is, I can't really tell where the leak is at the moment! [Eek!] )

By the way, what is the proper order to disassemble this machine? Intermittent first, shutter shaft, vertical shaft? What are some of your tips/tricks for proper realignment of everything on reassembly? For example, on a Century, I always leave the vertical shaft bearing retainer screws slightly loose. I very carefully tighten the screws with the motor running, so the shaft "aligns" itself. Then I stop the motor, put some muscle behind those screws, install the intermittent and shutter shaft.

What are some of your Pro-35 methods?

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2006 11:51 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a theatre I am going to tomorrow night & terar & replace any o-ring & oil seal on a Pro-35...I take everything off, lens changer, top plate, everything...I take the head to the woerk table & take everything out, clean it all, replace all seals & o-rings & put back together...the whole process takes 5-hours to tear down, clean & put back together...my main oil leak is the vertical shaft assy. on the bottom of the machine....but since I am tearing it down, I will change all o-rings & seals since I have it on the bench....

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2006 04:31 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little off topic (a different machine) but how do you know when a Century SA has enough oil in the intermittent? I have been told to fill it to half-full (when looking at the sight-glass) while running, but it seems to spit oil and leak a small amount when I do. I just want to make sure we have enough oil, but not too much.

We don't have a fill line, and it always looks full at rest, but then it looks empty while it's running.

I've also been told that you don't need to change the oil in it, but have done it anyway. I will admit the oil looks clean and has no signs of contamination, but it seems weird that it would never need changing...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-30-2006 07:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don-Tim,

This is really a shop job, not sometimg I reccomend doing in the field.... if it all runs well when you're done you're lucky or you can get into some deep do-do if you make a mistake and then you have to slap your customer with a whooping labor bill and he'll be unhappy! We keep an R-A mechanism on the shelf without any other parts mounted to it so the job in the field can be done in a couple of hours. Then that one gets rebuilt in the shop and the customer charged for T&M for his unit. We guarantee that rebuilt R/A mechanism for a year and it has been previously run in and leak tested in the shop and is ready to go.

Either way...
Be sure to get some O-Ring lube and coat the O-Rings with it before re-assembly. It is available at most bearing supply houses. Otherwise you scuff the O-rings when you re-insert the bearing cap and you will still have a leak.

To disassemble.... 1. Movement, 2. Sprocket and shutter shafts, 3. all the other outer mounted crap and framing mechanism, etc. can now be removed for cleaning, seal and O-ring replacement... inspect the C/O solonoid mounting plate for cracks at the bend point!!! And lastly the vert. shaft. Screw in some long 10/32(I think) screws into the top bearing cap and you can use a bar under these screws to pull it up and out. Lifting the shaft out is difficult and turning the machine over to drop it out by yourself is dangerous for the shaft since its not hardened. But can be done very carefully by two people. One person flips the casting over while the other one hold it in place with a finger and then lets it slowly drop out and guides it to keep it from getting dinged.

Also carry a small arbor press and a complete socket set with you to remove and press in the new seals, they can be had at Harbor Freight and other places for just over 20.00. This makes life ALOT easier. You might also want to have a new shutter bearing outer end cap with. The seal is a mother to get out of the original one piece old style cap, machining it out on a lathe is the easiest way to remove it! The new cap is two piece allowing the seal to be pressed right out just like the sprocket shaft caps. Also.... mark the positions of the vert. shaft bearing caps and both shutter shaft caps. These 4 caps are eccentric and marking them will allow replacement of them back in the exact same position and you have the same gear mesh as you did to start with. Not marking these will add considerable time to the repair while you try to adjust each one the same amount to get things meshed correctly.... [Eek!] . KEep in mind that none of the steel parts are hardened like in a Simplex... The Ballantyne is patterened after the Brenkert... all soft metal and non-hardened star and cam! A slight bump when removing the vert. shaft can ding a tooth or two. Treat it all very gently.Inspect all the teeth on the vert. shaft for wear or damage very carefully as well as the teeth on the lower sprocket shaft for wear..the lower gear drives the sound head. I always install a new shutter drive gear irregardless of what the original looks like just because its nylon and a big job to replace later on when it fails. You can also replace the nylon intermittent gear at the same time... that tiny gear drives the whole machine!

Overall Ballantynes are ok if you have operators that know how to run film. If its a bunch of kids then its one of the worst machines you can have. A simple film jam can bend the star radius and then you have an expensive movement rebuild on your hands, even the newer webbed star is just as susceptable to this problem as the original star. I would never install a Pro 35 in any new build today...

quote: Anslem Rayburn
A little off topic (a different machine) but how do you know when a Century SA has enough oil in the intermittent? I have been told to fill it to half-full (when looking at the sight-glass) while running, but it seems to spit oil and leak a small amount when I do. I just want to make sure we have enough oil, but not too much.

Anslem,

Half way up the window at stand still... or not running. Any excess oil will just flow out the breather hole on the back of the movement. That breather hole is sometimes a more convenient place to fill them from too. Just depends on the tip of your oiler.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-30-2006 05:03 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mark and Don! [Smile] I just KNEW this was going to be a major overhaul deal. [Frown]

Mark, is the arbor press you're talking about a table-top unit, about 12" high?

So, does anyone have a throw-away Pro-35 I can have? [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-30-2006 07:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

You will need a #1 arbor press, it is about a foot tall. A spare head(just the mechanism in its casting) is the best way to attack these machines on site. I have had machines with bent vert. shafts in them too!

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-30-2006 07:11 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have had machines with bent vert. shafts in them too!

Yeah me too, Mark!

BTW: Most ALL the leaks I've encountered in the Ballantyne heads were due to porus castings.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-30-2006 08:52 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Required consumable products for Pro-35

I always enjoyed going to the store for those. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: