Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Attention DTS Experts: Help Needed! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Attention DTS Experts: Help Needed!
Cory Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2001 01:27 AM      Profile for Cory Johnson   Email Cory Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The easiest way to do this is to start at the beginning, so here goes:
Projector: Bal. Pro 35.
Platter: Strong
DTS: DTS-6D. New upgrade kit in it.
Processor: Dolby CP-65.

A couple of weeks ago, we had an upgrade kit put in our DTS 6D unit. The reasoning behind this upgrade was 2-fold: to try and correct a automation problem (The CP-65 would trip to Non-sync every once in a great while in the middle of a show) and to also try and solve a "lock up" problem with the deck (The unit would lock-up [all of the drive light freeze and we are forced to power the unit off and back on] right after the initial power-up or in the the middle of the movie during the CD switch from drive A to B). Before this upgrade the digital signal on the reader was not solid green 100% of the time, but the digital never tripped out.

After this "upgrade" we started to have problems in that the digital would "drop" out during the middle of the film. The reader would flicker and pick up a time code inconsistency and at times, it was long enough between the time code reads to make the CP65 trip to Dolby SR. Well, this "swapping" in and out of digital was very annoying and noticing. There were even times when the audio in the theatre would be "cropped" by the 6D unit.

We discussed it with our tech and not much became of it. Next, we had ocean's 11 in the theatre and it played back flawlessly so we pretty much put the problem on the back-burner.

On Wed, we opened LOTRs. Well, starting about 1 hour into the movie, the digital again begins to trip in and out and we have some very unhappy customers. We call our techs and complain and they ship us a new reader. We install the reader and the signal coming off from the DTS reader is great - solid green 99% of the time. We run the next showing of LOTRs and again, about 1 hour into the movie, the digital begins cutting in and out. We swap our other print of LOTRs into the theatre in hopes that the print was back. Once again ,the same thing happens: no digital after reel 3. We call our tech and they bring down an entirely new 6D unit and put it in. We run LOTRs through again and the same thing happens: OK for the first hour, dropping in and out of DTS the rest of the film.

We next try Ali in the theatre. Reels 1-3 are perfects and then starting with reel 4, the digital signal on the DTS reader is falling in and out. During one of the reels, there is absolutely no signal coming off from the print.

We move Ali out and put Oceans 11 back in the theatre and everything is perfect again.

We have tried adjusting the tention rollors on the reader. We have replaced the belt on the motor drive for the projector. We have tried everything that we know of to correct the issue, but have not gotten anything back on the status.

Can any Help???
Thanks in advance -
Cory

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-26-2001 03:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the big question...have you tried another set of dts discs? I have seen this exact problem occur as a result of a defective disc.

Past that, what is the firmware version on your timecode board? (It is clearly labeled on the chip.)

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2001 06:05 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cory,

It seems that you have multiple problems.

1. A weel working timecode reader should stay solid green for almost 100% time. No problem if you have *few* timecode drop (not sound drop!) but not more.
2. If you have some reels with completely NO green led, probably your reel is bad printed or (did you check it?) it doesn't have DTS timecode printed on that reel. In that case ask for a replacement of the defective reels.
3. I found that reader alignement in the projector is VERY important. When new readers come to my theater I found that the timecode signal was not very strong and I was disappointed because there were new readers! I found then that old reader's rollers where not original and not perfectly aligned with the readers. I removed the rollers and now I project DTS encoded movies with NO timecode drop during the entire film. So, pls check that the print does not fold itself into the readers or seems to be not perfectly aligned with the projector.
4. If your reader and timecode LED on 6D is ON, it is a player or Disk problem
5. Check TCR chip version as Brad's suggestion.

A well aligned DTS system works perfectly, so you will surely resolve you problem.

Hope that this helps you!

Karen: why DTS "crop" sound when timecode gone? Why doesn't it drop tu SR/DD BEFORE sound buffer is completely empty????

Bye
Antonio

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-26-2001 09:02 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok the first thing that needs to be checked is that your cables from the timecode reader and the dts unit are conected securly.

Next you need to open up the unit and make sure, as brad stated, that it is the most up to date firmware chip available.

While inside the unit make sure all the cards are seated correctly. When your unit was upgraded, most likely, the new drives are teac and the old ones were toshiba. When these drive brands are changed you have to add a new card to the system and remove a chip off of the timecode board. Make sure these boards are seated properly.

Finally check all wireing conections inside unit.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-26-2001 10:33 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Brad on this one. We got a disk with Harry Potter which had just a very slight scratch on it (about 1/4" long), but it would cause the sound to drop out. Replaced disk; problem solved.

The key in this situation was that the scratch was linear to the tracks on the CD-rom. A scratch that's perpendicular to the tracks probably would've played fine.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-26-2001 11:22 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The key is in your comment that the timecode kicks out which is a indication of a probable problem in the reader
Check for film bounce. Also check and make sure that the film isn't curled because I notice that you inferr that it isn't the first show that has a problem so it is possible that the humidity is too low and the second pass the print has developed a curl.
Also on the cable going to the reader cut away the black heat shrink and connect the bare ground cable with the lug on it to the screw on the reader.
Grounding of the reader has been an issue

Cory Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2001 05:50 PM      Profile for Cory Johnson   Email Cory Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are your answers:
Have we tried another set of discs: yes. To date, we have tried: Ali, Oceans 11, Lord of the Rings, Monsters, Inc. Only Oceans 11 has played back properly. In addition, the trailers will also do the same thing, dropping in and out and we have cycled 3 different (new) trailers discs into the unit.
Firmware: The firmware is what ever is shipped with the upgrade kit.
Bad prints: We see nothing wrong with the prints, and it would seem to be very strange that 3 seperate prints would all be "bad".
Reader alignment: The new readers have the sticker over the set screw for adjusting the lateral alignment of the rollers on the reader. We have not change the reader as it shipped from DTS.
Cables: All secure.
Cards seated properly: I will open and reseat them. However, if Oceans 11 is fine, I don't know why this would factor into the problem.
Scratched CDs: I will examine the discs. To my knowledge all of the dics are 100 scratch free. I will double check this.
Film bounce: We have adjust the additional tension roller on the reader as far to the right as we can to add additional tention to the film. There is a noticiable increase in the tention from the platter to the reader and it seems to have helped the reader improve - but not fix the problem.
Ground: The reader is grounded directly to the projector via a set screw.

I will follow up on what was listed here, but hopefully one of these will fix the problem. Not being to play LOTRs in DTS sucks...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-26-2001 07:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say grounded to the projector due you mean th emounting screws or via the time code cable ground that is supplied undernieth the heat shrink

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-26-2001 11:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I must've skimmed over this, but re-reading your original post I noticed that your tech brought in an entire different dts6-d unit and you still had the problem at the exact same spot. That is definitely telling me that you have a bad set of discs, or you have a bad reel(s). Do you still have access to that second unit for troubleshooting, or did they take it back?

Ok now I know this is a real longshot, but by any chance did your theater run the first teaser trailers for "The Lost World" with the strobe lights hooked up to the dts unit as a lightning effect? I have found that the extra card that was installed in the 6-d units to achieve that provided endless problems like this. The solution was simple...just to remove it. (Heck, there hasn't been a use for it since anyway!) Anyway the odds are probably ten thousand to one, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-27-2001 12:29 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of our theatres have DTS going bezerk with buzzes and white moise about an hour or so into LOTR as well. Its definitely bad discs. Call DTS and get replacements. We did.

-Aaron

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2001 05:21 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cory,
If both your 6D and reader is new, I would check the reader alignement. I don't mean that you have to remove the sticker (removing the sticker will void the warranty), but to align the entire reader with the projector. As I told you in my Theater I had the same problem and I resolved it *completely* aligning the readers with the projector. Does your reader has something to move it forward and backward? Just try to have the film path as straight as possibile: the film does not bend itself inside the reader. A bad aligned readers can put in evidence some print defect so that you'll have reels that are read good and other reels that are completely not read.

Since your equipment is completely new and Ocean's 11 was played back properly, I think that alignment, tension and grounding are the only thing that you can check. I do not believe that firmware version can cause these problems plus, your TCR chip was shipped by DTS with the upgrade kit.

Karen from DTS is on vacation right now, she will be back on 2nd, Jan. She will be able to help you better with this problem.

Hope that this could help you.

regards
Antonio

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-27-2001 10:54 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be very odd that so many different titles have had the same problem to be bad disks print or the reader
We had a lot of problems at 2 locations similar to this and that ground connection was the key

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-27-2001 11:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But at the exact same spot repeatedly? I don't think the ground is that smart.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2001 07:21 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

I agree with you with Print, Disk but not readers!
A bad reader will affect all print.
A bad grounding will affect all print too!
So I would check reader alignement and grounding!

My old (1993) readers started, during last times, to drop signal after 2 hours of work. But there were very old...

Bye
Antonio

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2002 01:33 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Cory,

If you have drop outs at the same point in the film, it is probably a bad reel and you call the distribuator for a replacement.

When seeing timecode, the reader's green LED should be bright and steady. It should not blink a lot - occassional blink is okay.

It sounds like your tech has replaced the reader and the player. Since neither has fixed the problem, indications point to a system malfunction.

As others have mentioned, tension is very important. The film should run smoothly through the reader. Film bounce will cause you all types of problems.

Is there a SDDS reader on top of the DTS readers? If yes, that could be the problem since they use a spring roller at their output.

Try moving the discs around to see if the problem follows a disc. Request new discs if it is apparant that that is the problem.

Please feel free to send me an email for more information.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: