Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sony DFP software w/ XP and USB to serial adapter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sony DFP software w/ XP and USB to serial adapter
Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2001 08:39 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hold your fire! This isn't by choice...this is what I've been given and I have to try to make it work.

Has anyone been able to get Sony DFP setup software to work on XP and/or with a USB to serial adapter?

My next step is to partition the HDD and install 98SE on the new partition. But I think the problem here is the way the Sony software tries to access the serial port. Even though the USB/Serial adapter is working ok with a modem, I think it will likely be the culprit.

If anyone has had any experiences with this, please post.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2001 10:35 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Software accessing a serial port can be incredibly funky. Legacy rules often have to be followed, including using the old standard (read expected) DOS IRQs and addresses for ports one and two. Add that Windows likes to take control of ports and parcel out access by its own rules and problems can grow to be exasperating. Good luck, keep plugging and trying different combos. Sometimes these problems can be solved with patience and dumb luck.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-25-2001 10:38 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are best off using Win98 in another partition, or 'downgrading' the whole system to 98SE.

The SDDS software doesn't work with WinME either.

-Aaron

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-25-2001 11:53 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree with Aaron; that's probably the best, easiest soultion.
I wish manufacturers would standardize this stuff; for example, the THX D1138 monitor software only runs on DOS. It was also rather poorly written, as if it was knocked out in a hurry.

The Sony is the only one that needs a null-modem cable, but regualar null-modem cables have a male DB9 on both ends. Yet Sony put a male connector on the back or their processor, which means you also have to get a "gender-bender" (female to female) adapter.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2001 12:31 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Null modem cable this way is pretty common in industrial computing applications, so in general, once you own one, you're fine, and it should not be the problem thereafter.
The real treat is to get the horrible Windoze systems to work properly with different computers and Windoze systems. I have personally found to stay with an old Win 3.11 laptop from 93, which runs all my theatre control software pretty, as it has all theese Dos conventions, and could legally run PC Dos without opening a window. My tries with any other win system ended in frustrations and endless time spent, time you legally can't charge to a customer, and then sometimes unexpected behavior happens. Win and Microsoft are among my behated items, it's useless. But you have t o stay with some kind of Win based computer, as there's no SDDS or THX or Dolby for Unix based machines, unless you end up with emulators, a wholly different treat of itself.

After some hours of try - and error, - I was finally able to use the Sony SW on my Mac using VPC 4, but it wasn't simple to figure out, as I'm not a Mac genius.

There may be an advantage running 2000, Xp, ... on a newer machine, at least for some applications, but as long as something works oK, why not keep the old computer as long as possible for setup purposes. I found out, it was most clever do so, even trhough some customers laugh on my 486/75Mhz Dell from 93.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-25-2001 01:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are trying to access a DFP-3000 or DFP-2500, are you using version 3 of the software? I don't know, but this may or may not help.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2001 07:41 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, yes it is version 3.

I previously used a P-133 that ran WIN98SE with this software and it worked fine. But the 133 has been replaced with newer equipment that does not have a serial port but does have XP. My first impression was that this would never work, but I still have to try.

Aaron, I was able to get the DFP-2000 software to work on WIN ME but I was not able to get the DCP-1000 software to connect when running under ME.

Thanks.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-25-2001 09:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Aaron, I was able to get the DFP-2000 software to work on WIN ME but I was not able to get the DCP-1000 software to connect when running under ME.<<

That's what I meant. Same applied for the original version of Dolby DRAS. it ran but didn't connect.

-Aaron

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-25-2001 10:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...Randy indicated he has been able to get his Mac using Virtual PC to run all of the Cinema software that he has tried (also USB..using a Keyspan USB to serial adapter). I wonder if he tried the Sony DFP...muct check the forum. If so, that is hopeful for some of us. VPS allows multiple operating systems...I have DOS 6.21, Win 3.11, and Win98SE all on separate dynamic virtual hard drives. The latest VPC 5.0 is about twice as fast (emulates Pentium2) and supports DOS even better than before.

I have an NCS friend that is getting a computer (supplied by NCS) that sounds like your configuration (USB and WIN XP)...I'll see how he fares and let you know if he has success first.

Steve

------------------

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-26-2001 11:31 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XP like 2000 doesn't like any 16bit code or anything that requires direct hardware acess so it will not run.
Most industrial software requires direct hardware connections so that is why there is still DOS in use

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2001 07:35 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Yes, all of the NCS techs, including me, have these new systems. Unfortunately, this is the situation we're all in...Mike Labbe and I have been trying to figure out if this is going to work. I was able to connect to a DA-20 with WinDRAS today but only if I connect the serial cable after the WinDRAS software is running and I had to disconnect the cable before selecting disconnect in the software. If the cable was connected before booting the computer, XP would not start...if the disconnect button was selected in the software with the cable still connected, XP would immediately crash and reboot.

Frustrating...

The DFP-3000 software appears to work until you try to connect to the processor then it gives two error messages:
"DCB could not be created for COM (1)" and "Not able to configure the serial port. Verify that a valid port was selected. There is a possibility that the selected port is not recognized by the system. Exit the software and check the port configuration of the computer."

Mike called Sony today and they said "Why would you want to do that?"

??Good question...

I know the USB/serial adapter is working because I was able to use my cell phone and a standard external modem without any problems.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-26-2001 10:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I was able to get the Sony software to run on my Mac.

Using Virtual PC 4.0 (Windows 95) and a Keyspan USB/Serial adaptor.

Make sure the driver for the adaptor is loaded and the adaptor is plugged in BEFORE you activate VPC or else it won't recognize when you try to run it. Hook up a regular serial cable and attach a NULL MODEM adaptor. Then fire up the application and connect/operate in the normal way.

The Mac part won't help you very much if you are using a PC. However, this leads me to believe that you should be able to get a USB/Serial adaptor to work OK. I have been told that the computer may not be able to "see" the device on the other end of the adaptor but I have used my adaptor on SDDS, Dolby Digital and USL DSP-60 without problems. I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-27-2001 08:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

Check out VPC 5.0...it seems quite a bit faster and more glitch free than VPC 4.0. Even DOS emulation seems to have been improved.

Steve

------------------

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-27-2001 04:35 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! I'm already on it!
When I bought VPC 4.0 it was just days before the release of 5.0. There is an upgrade program where they will give you the new version for $10. ($5 if you download it.) You have to have bought VPC 4.0 between certain dates and you have to provide a copy of the original sales receipt, etc. etc.

Check out Connectix.com for details.

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2001 08:01 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

Mike and I set up a desktop system with serial ports and tried to connect to s DFP-2000. No luck, we got the same error msg listed above. So the software will definately not run under XP.

The next step is to setup a laptop with Win98 or ME and try the USB to serial adapter...but not for a while, I have already put too much of my own time into this...I'll post a resolution if one turns up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: