Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mirimax causes chaios (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Mirimax causes chaios
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2001 08:50 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a sneak preview of Kate & Leopold at our theater last Friday and Saturday night. Got a desperate call from one of my operators last night (Monday). Seems we got a fax from Technicolor (didn't you all?)at 10:02PM, EST that " at the request of Mirimax Studios, there will be no holdovers of Kate& Leopold for the release on Christmas Day 12/25/01. Please have your print broken down and ready for pickup on Tuesday, 12/18/01, in your normal Airborne pickup window."

Really nice of Mirimax to let us know at the last minute that the print had to be shipped out. But, it gets better! The Friday release was moved back to Christmas Day. Little elves told us that Harvey and the boys at Mirimax were not happy with the outcome of the sneak and didn't want to go up against the other Friday releases.

Incidentally, you will get a print(s) back to put together all over again on the 21st, according to TES.

My understanding is that this has not only inconvenienced folks in projection who were unfortunate enough to work for theaters that had the sneak, but also management who have already set up their web sites to sell advanced tickets! What about patrons who may have bought tickets for December 21 thru 24? "Gee folks, we're sorry, but we don't have that picture. Sorry we took your money and sold you tickets for it." In addition, what about those theaters who have already sent time schedules to the press and may not have been able to make corrections in time for the deadline? Not to mention the barn dancing that will go on to fill screens with holdovers until the 25th. A real booker's dream!(nightmare?)

WAY TO GO, MIRIMAX! Your concern for your exhibitors problems is non-existant.

Did any of you filmtechers out there experience similar problems?

The rant is on.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 04:40 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - this created quite a ripple effect. Thanks to the move, the entire booking department had to scramble to replace it on 12/21 ... and bookings didn't get sent out until 6:45 pm. All this over 4 days ????

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 07:14 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Copied from my post in the Open for Christmas? thread in ground level:

Apparently they decided to make some last minute changes which will affect 4 different reels.
So the prints that were run for sneak previews are actually not final versions and everyone has to send it back and get the new ones.
It was also said that the new prints may not even be in until Christmas morning.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-19-2001 10:25 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Sneak? What sneak? We were supposed to have one, but the prints didn't arrive until 2.5 hours after we had to cancel the sneak. Apparently, this happened all over Michigan.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 01:31 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw Kate & Leopold at Show East in October. I didn't feel that there was anything wrong with the film then. I thought it was a straight forward "Meg Ryan romantic comedy." Ebert & Dweebert must have seen the flawed print last week and thought well of it enough to award it two thumbs up! I wonder what the problem was?

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 03:39 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it shows up Christmas morning, no one will be at my place to get it.. We won't be there until noon.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 04:14 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, we had the same problem, but I think I just forgot to mention it.
Our print came in friday 5 munites before sneak time.
We just ran serendipity in its place and ran the sneak at 930.
Saturday we played it at the normal time.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-19-2001 07:17 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmm, I would like to know who is going to foot the bill for a holiday release....Airborne does not deliver anything on Christmas Day.....And is anybody gettin the movie Imposter....THis was supposed to open on Christmas day but I think it may have gotten moved again...Miramax may have moved Kate and Leapold to this date because Imposter, the other film they had was moved...All the pretty horses was a holiday release last year and did pretty well for them....

This is not the first time that technicoler called back the prints from a sneak...I just hope that all the prints for the 25th come in on the 21st so if there are problems with a reel a replacement can be ordered...We had a defective reel on bothe of our prints of Lord of the rings...Reel #5 do to splotching....

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2001 07:29 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miramax is too busy buying awards for its movies to look at the real world. I'd love to see all the gossip columnists and Miramax apologists explain THIS one away.

Thanks to this f#(%*p by Miramax, Universal will expand A Beautiful Mind to megaplexes/upmarket theaters on Xmas Day. The UA East Hampton and the Princeton Garden Theatre will drop Amelie to pick up A Beautiful Mind. National break remains 1/4.

Darryl S: Miramax moved Imposter from 12/25 to 1/4 last week -- before the f#(%*p with Kate & Leopold. All the Pretty Horses opened Xmas Day last year and tanked! Miramax wound up handling that one because Columbia didn't want it.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-19-2001 07:49 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Charles E. I was not aware of the move for Imposter since we were not going to get that year and a half in the cans piece of crap anyway I have spoken to two people who have seen Kate and Leapold and they loved it so who knows why they moved it. All I want is my movies in my theater early enough so that if there are problems they can be remedied...

Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2001 04:41 AM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, I was afraid the same would happen to us in Birmingham, Michigan. Luckily we got our print at 6:15 for our 7:30 sneak. Good thing I didn't schedule the thing for 7:00.

Seriously though, I've had to do about 8 completely seperate show schedules for 2 theatres in 2 days. Then we get word its moved and I have to stay late (early) to redo the schedule that took me hours to get *just* right. And once I have it all done, Paramount calls us and says we're only getting one print of Jimmy Neutron instead of the two promised, leaving me to do the entire schedule again and fill another screen. Luckily it made my life easier as we just left the screen open to run interlocks for Lord of the Rings or Ali. Still, it's B.S.

I'd actually like to thank Miramax for not releasing the crap they call Imposter on X-Mas day and wasting a valuable screen. Now those seats can actually be filled with people!! I think it was just a ploy to get people to think their movie might be good and entertaining with a 12/25 release and then push it one week to the designated dumping ground month for new releases.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-20-2001 12:39 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, you're a lot closer to DTW than I am ... I've noticed since moving here that nobody flies freight into Grand Rapids International Airport. It all flies to Detroit and then a courier drives it here in 2.5 or 3 hours. Even our Imax films arrive through DTW.

BTW, congrats on your opening. I'll stop by for a visit next time I'm in town.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2001 01:38 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think that print delivery will be the end to your chaos. I saw an ad for Kate and Leopold on TV last night, and the ads still say that the film is opening up on December 21. Hugh Jackman, on Conan O'Brien, said the release was Christmas day, but said nothing about the change in release dates. I wouldn't be surprised if some of your theaters get distressed calls over the weekend from people that need to see what looks to be a terrible film.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2001 11:01 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe B: The ACNielsen EDI website still lists the release date for Kate & Leopold as today. That date has not been changed even with the sneak preview fiasco.

To further cover the Weinsteins' a$$es, Miramax is opening The Shipping News in upmarket NYC suburbs day-and-date with Manhattan (Xmas Day). I smell another flop!

BTW, did anybody see the Golden Globe nominations? Looks like Miramax bought a few of them.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2001 01:27 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I was above all this Miramax nonsense, but they found a way to involve us. We thought we were done with our booking on Monday, we were going to hold the same film over of two weeks through the New Year.

Our newspaper deadline for the holiday was Tuesday, December 18th.

Miramax called this morning (Friday, December 21st) to tell us that we were to open In The Bedroom on December 26th or they would give the print to our competition. So we set about changing our schedule. Then they called back to inform us that we needed to open the film December 25th. Were scrambling to get the ad changed in the newspaper. Not only has the weekly paper's deadline passed but the weekly newspapers are already out! I called Technicolor and asked when the print was being delivered as we are closing early on Christmas Eve and they said that we were already for delivery on January 3rd! They have a call in to Miramax now. Miramax is scrambling to get this print out after receiving numerous Golden Globe nominations yesterday.

Why do they have to pull this shit now!? Ky was practically to his parent's house when he received the call. They should have had their act together a month ago. They always seem to pull this shit. And they threatened us as well with giving the print to someone else. I wish we had the guts to call their bluff. They should give us something for this; all the co-op or free print shipping or something.

How can the Weinstein's have such a good company yet have their collective head stuffed up their assholes so far?

Also, Miramax in pulling this stunt has guaranteed that they will not get a review in the local newspaper.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: