Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Was expecting LOTR instead received something called "Changing Seasons"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Was expecting LOTR instead received something called "Changing Seasons"?
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2001 09:56 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am assuming this was done for theft prevention. Is this the only fake title they used or are there any others?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-18-2001 10:46 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For that particular title, that was the code name. Other films have had the same 'code name' treatment:

'Star Wars Episode I' was called 'Perfect Timing'
'Alien: Resurrection' was called 'Weaven'
'Cast Away' was called 'Bones' (not to be confused with the Snoop Dogg film)
'Lost World: Jurassic Park' was retitled using its release date rather than a catchy code name.

There were others, I just can't remember them all. Try scanning all of the 'Feature info' threads where the codename is usually listed alongside the title of each film.

-Aaron

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2001 02:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The typical foolishness is still there. Anyone trying to steal a set of cans for bootlegging purposes will certainly be turned off by the title "Changing Seasons" and will in no possible way notice the big "LORD OF THE RINGS" printed on the cans. Why do they keep bothering with the fake names if the depots are going to blatantly print the real name right there on the labels on the cans???

What gets me is the fact that the LEADERS have the fake names on them! This is just wonderful for those repertory rentals down the road when the projectionist has no idea that the film has a fake name. Just how much trouble will this cause?

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2001 04:12 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Harry Potter's "code name" something like "Being Human"?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-18-2001 05:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cable Guy = The Dish

There were a few others, but I can't remember. Maybe Ian can. I think maybe Warriors of Virtue had a fake name when I ran it for the producers about a 1000 times so they could see how it looked with diferent film stocks. But they brought the print themselves, so I don't understand why it had a fake name.

John Brookshire
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2001 07:30 PM      Profile for John Brookshire   Email John Brookshire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stepmom = Mother's Day
Mission Impossible 2 = Doll House

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-20-2001 10:37 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an Australian film called 'The Dish' released last autumn. I wonder how many art and rep houses will now get sent prints of 'The Cable Guy' by mistake?

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2001 03:34 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, even the DTS disks had the fake name on them..

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2001 03:46 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo: In the US there should be no confusion. The Dish was released here by Warner Bros. (ETS depot) while The Cable Guy came out through Sony (Technicolor depot).

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2001 04:32 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we were told by the studio to label the LORD OF THE RING discs as "Changing Seasons".

Karen at DTS

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-20-2001 08:26 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That'll slow down the bootleggers by, oh, 15 to 20 mins or so...

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2001 08:49 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, -unless them bootleggers are lurking at the Film Tech Forums

Potter prints in Denmark were marked by their real name, but a roll of banners were disguised with the synonyme... Spooky !

/ p.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-27-2001 04:09 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The international discs are LOTR though...

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2001 06:53 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Boxes and Cans were labeled 'Changing Seasons', however the leaders are marked 'LORD OF THE RINGS'

They must change how they do this depending on territory, etc, as Brad mentioned his leaders had 'Changing Seasons' on them.

Most of the time i get a 'coded' print, only the box has the coded title, and the cans are correctly labeled, as are the leaders.

I'd love to know the origin of the codes though, whether they are random or have any sort of significance.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2001 07:09 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron said:

"'Star Wars Episode I' was called 'Perfect Timing'
'Alien: Resurrection' was called 'Weaven'
'Cast Away' was called 'Bones' (not to be confused with the Snoop Dogg film)
'Lost World: Jurassic Park' was retitled using its release date rather than a catchy code name."

Andy said: "They must change how they do this depending on territory, etc, as Brad mentioned his leaders had 'Changing Seasons' on them."

That must be true, because my print of Cast Away was labeled Cast Away. I didn't even know that studios used code names until LOTR came out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: