Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lord of the Rings sound (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings sound
Joshua Wood
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2001 06:06 AM      Profile for Joshua Wood   Email Joshua Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know if Lord of the Rings is DTS ES? It says Dolby Digital Surround EX on the credits, but nothing about DTS ES.

|  IP: Logged

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2001 06:11 AM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I believe so. Running it right now, and DTS ES playing fine.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2001 07:02 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Karen told me once, if the movie is DD-EX it is also DTS-ES.

It is like if the film is originally DS and the TV broadcast it in Stereo: it is automatically in DS since the DS is encoded in the two-stereo channels.

Since the EX is encoded in the two channels of surrounds, it will be available both in DD and DTS.

Bye
Antonio

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2001 12:48 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LORD OF THE RINGS is in DTS-ES.

Karen at DTS

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-17-2001 06:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever a movie is recorded to be played in Dolby Digital Surround EX or DTS-ES matrix, the surround channels are simply mixed to reach certain volume levels to cause the sound to pull back to the center surround channel.

Whenever volume intensities in both Left Surround and Right Surround channels reach the same level, that sound event gets steered to the Center Surround channel. I had thought there was some special encoding for the process, but that is really all there is. Just as any DD-EX release can be played in DTS-ES (provided there are discs for the film) if there is an SDDS track, it will also properly play the derived center surround when the signal is fed through a Dolby SA-10, DTS-ES processor or even one of those Smart thingies.

It is best to only play movies in DD-EX or DTS-ES when those films are mixed specifically for the format. You can get some undesirable effects when applying DD-EX or DTS-ES to something not mixed for it.

For example, my father recently upgraded his home theater system with a new Denon 4802 receiver among other things. He called me up and said his sound system was not working right when he played the special edition DVD of "The Abyss." The surrounds were sounding out of only the center surround channel. I told him that is only a 4.1 channel audio track with mono surround summed across RS and LS channels. You get total collapse to center surround when activating the DD-EX mode.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-17-2001 06:40 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes this is true....it must be a stereo suuround signal in order for it to process correctly....Anything with a Mono surround signal must be played in a 4.1 or 5.1 configuration not a 6.1 configuration....

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-18-2001 01:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS does offer DISCRETE 6.1. I don't know what movies offer it, though. Probably very few.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2001 02:06 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and I bought a DENON 3801 so I can listen to all two or three discs with it! (Seven, Gladiator) IF I ever getting around to buying additional speakers!

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2001 02:54 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

I presume that you are speaking of Home Theater. I know that DTS ES discrete is on DVD only, not theatrical.

Bye
Antonio

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-18-2001 05:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-18-2001 06:51 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from the old movies Anchor Bay is re-mastering into DTS-ES (such as "The Stuntman" and "Suspiria") there are few recent DVD releases featuring the process.

"Seven" Platinum Edition, "Gladiator," "Chicken Run," "The Haunting" DTS DVD separate version and "Rush Hour 2" are the only ones I can think of from memory. The title track from Don Henley's "End of the Innocence" DTS music CD is encoded in DTS-ES 6.1. Sheryl Crow's "Globe Sessions" DTS music CD has DTS-ES 6.1 on all tracks.

That's not very much software. But judging by all the new DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete equipped receivers I have seen recently introduced by Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon and others, I would say we'll finally start to see an increase in DVDs with DTS-ES 6.1 tracks.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2001 04:40 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At this time and for standard theaters, only the 5.1 system with a DTS-ES decoder is available (a matrix of surround channels to add in the back surround). Granted, the mix must be capable (or mixed) for for the extra surround channel. That decision is up to the film maker or studio, not DTS.

Only "special venue" theaters get 6 (or more) discrete channels.

To play back

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2001 06:38 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of DTS ES. Judging by the context of this thread, I assume it is an extra channel. Is it a rear channel, like Dolby's EX, or something else?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-31-2001 08:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

DTS-ES adds an extra channel that each audience member straps to their chin. It is awesome.

Seriously though, yes, DTS-ES is the exact same thing as Dolby Digital-EX (fake rear surround channel). Though DTS has a much cooler adapter than Dolby's SA-10. Dolby's unit is a giant rack space stealing hulk, and DTS's unit is a tiny little thing that switches in and out of ES automatically when hooked up to the timecode reader. It also has as much impact on the sound as Dolby EX---next to none. At least the DTS-ES unit is cheaper, so if you want to spend money and get next to nothing, DTS-ES is the way to go since you will spend less.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2002 01:52 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

More, DTS-ES has separate equalization for 6.1 or 5.1 channel configuration. Dolby has just one equalization.

Es means "extended surround"; can anyone remember me what "EX" means?

Bye
Antonio

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: