Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Marble 35mm splicers

Author Topic: Marble 35mm splicers
Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2001 08:37 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here ever worked with Marble 35mm splicers? I think they are made of aluminum, they feel like a toy compared to the Neumade 35mm splicers I used to work with. Is there a way I can make these work properly?

Also, I am having trouble with one of them at the moment. I can't get the guillotine blade assembly to align properly when I close the jaws. Does anyone have any tips on this? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-14-2001 10:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is the one that is a creamy white colour they are a piece of junk
Throw them out and get a real CIR as they will never work right

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2001 12:27 AM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unfortunately it is all we use now, we will not be getting any thing else (unless i purchase my own - food for thought) so any advice to make "this piece of junk" work better would be greatly appreciated.

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2001 01:45 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

this is the one with the creamy white color. It feels like such a toy to me now. There is one at my theater I was going to tweak out and make it cut nicely so I could use just that one so I would know that my splices will be good, but it is still in pieces at the moment. The company I work for decided to buy these splicers when they opened this theater, I am not sure why they chose them.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-15-2001 02:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were chosen because they are the cheapest
There is a circuit I service that uses them because they felt they had too many good ones being broken
Son I bring my CIR with me to do my loops as what they have wouldn't work

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-16-2001 09:43 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an old Guillotine splicer and a nearly new Marble that was given to us by the owner of a closed theatre. The Guillotine is at least 30 years old and looks kind of junky beside the Marble but it works which the Marble cannot be made to do, even with new blades and a lot of profanity.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: